WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 FALL Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cupcakes won't show up at the dome for $200k.

Your math is wrong fellas.

Let's assume a Big Sky road trip is about $80k with charter, hotels and food. And I get no revenue. So I'm -$80k.

Now for the return game the following year I collect $250k in revenue and have no travel cost so I'm +$170k.

For a buy game we'd spend $250k+ for the opponent and break even on the game. Do that 2 years in a row and it's still break-even.

And we don't have enough dough to forego the $170k every 2 years.

FCS math if you're not NDSU.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
      Cupcakes won't show up at the dome for $200k.

Your math is wrong fellas.

Let's assume a Big Sky road trip is about $80k with charter, hotels and food. And I get no revenue. So I'm -$80k.

Now for the return game the following year I collect $250k in revenue and have no travel cost so I'm +$170k.

For a buy game we'd spend $250k+ for the opponent and break even on the game. Do that 2 years in a row and it's still break-even.

And we don't have enough dough to forego the $170k every 2 years.

FCS math if you're not NDSU.
      Except you're way light on the cost.

Google search tells me that an ALO to SAC charter is about $126k round trip (admittedly I'm guessing we get a deal due to all the other travel), so let's call it $100k.

Let's conservatively say 60 rooms at $200 for one night (remember we're paying California prices): $12k

So, we're that far in and we haven't fed anyone a single bite (at least 5 meals) or taken care of ground transportation. Luckily Warren donates getting our gear there.

We could get into a whole other discussion about early travel costing us wins which affects attendance and costs us money, etc.

I have zero issue with H-H if it doesn't cost us a fortune to get there. That's why the St Thomas series is brilliant. We should have Valpo and Butler and Northern Colorado and SEMO and EIU on speed dial.

Edit: The highest price NDSU has ever paid for a buy game is $230k and that was for consistent playoff team UCA. We can certainly get most any Pioneer or NEC team for $175-200k
      #MACtion

Comment

I think your charter cost is high and your hotel expense is high. We don't bring 120 people on a road trip. Travel squad is not the full roster.

Meals expense would be modest in the scope of this deal.

Local H-H are ideal but easier said than done. Agree St Thomas is a real good get.

Comment

I think your charter cost is high and your hotel expense is high. We don't bring 120 people on a road trip. Travel squad is not the full roster.

Local H-H are ideal but easier said than done. Agree St Thomas is a real good get.
          I definitely see your side as well. The only thing that I'm pretty much certain on is the size of the travel party. In addition to the team we're taking managers and training staff and admin staff and boosters and sponsors as well. It was 125 the last time we went to Montana. COVID may very well change that though.

I just think that when the schools in our league that we seem to (and want to) compete with are doing things completely differently than we are and winning at a higher level that it's time re-evaluate. Like I said, I have no issues playing road games but we have to do it smarter. Traveling across two time zones to, most of the time, play in remote places that require a substantial drive from the airport just doesn't make sense to me. I guess the one advantage to Sacramento State is that you can actually fly into Sacramento but even with that, best case scenario, is that our flight back touches down in Waterloo at 5:00 AM.
          #MACtion

Comment

The biggest issue with these games is they get us nothing. The committee doesn't really reward you if you lose to a good team on the road. We have a brutal conference we just need a win... Just play Drake a 2 and 1 or something similar... Sucks but whatever.

Comment

Agree the payback in terms of playoff selection is limited.

As for Drake...they don't want anything to do with getting on the field with UNI again.

They'll play everyone in the MVFC but us.

Comment

As for Drake...they don't want anything to do with getting on the field with UNI again.

Imagine passing up on a guaranteed sellout every 3rd year when your average attendance is right around 1500 because you want the illusion that you play on the same level.
                #MACtion

Comment

It really isn't that high and we are traveling 100 or so

Travel squad limit is 58 the FCS level
                  Coaches is 10
                  Trainers and equipment staff is 10
                  Admin - 5-10
                  Learfield media members
                  Any family of coaches/admin

A travel squad of 90-100 is probably pretty damn standard.

To fly 100 people, charter, to Sacramento. Feed them all at least 5 meals, lodge them, etc.

We had this same conversation a year or two ago with Idaho State.

It also goes well beyond the financial cost short term of the game

Playing on the road, two thousand miles, away a week after playing Iowa State, with a late kick (8 isn't as bad as we've had to deal with in the past with Poly and Hawaii) against a team that is going to be good enough to make it a game but not good enough to give any extra credit come playoff selection time isn't great from a fan watching it standpoint, from player wear and tear standpoint, etc.

From a long game financial, and fan growth, perspective, the ability to sell season tickets with 6 home games rather than 5 would be very beneficial. Charge for an extra ticket for all season tickets, another game for sponsorships, another game, to get people in the dome, etc.

I've pulled numbers before, also in that Idaho State thread I'd guess, for what other MVFC schools are paying and the 200-250 number is right where everyone else is. Indiana State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, SDSU, USD, etc. all manage to pull 2 or 3 OOC home games a year. Those schools have budget issues identical, or worse, than UNIs.

The fact we, for years and now a second AD, seem to only be able to get H/Hs with teams 1500-2000 miles away while everyone else is able to land regional H/Hs and are the only school that apparently can't get buy games just doesn't seem "right" to me.

Comment

Sadly true. I had the numbers somewhere but over the last 7 years, since they played UNI, they have played USD multiple times, SDSU multiple times, UND multiple times, WIU, etc. Hell, the SDSU series was a 2-1 and Drake gave the game at Drake to SDSU to host a month or two before that season started.

What Drake wants is the illusion they are equal to UNI on the field. We see across their athletic department, especially on social media with the jabs and subtweets their admin will make. They hold the all-time series lead, thanks to games 80 years ago, play at the same level, etc. but they know they can't even come close to competing with UNI on the football field, so they just won't do it. UNI could offer them the best H/H or series set up and Drake would say no.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I have zero issue with H-H if it doesn't cost us a fortune to get there. That's why the St Thomas series is brilliant. We should have Valpo and Butler and Northern Colorado and SEMO and EIU on speed dial.
                      THIS,

Why don't we play SEMO, EIU more often; hell the entire OVC(save JSU) is a bus trip away.

It will be interesting to see what the new WAC conference is looking for, I think that would be a way to get some 2 for ones from a new conference looking to show its mettle. Same with the new ASUN.

Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

EIU is tough to land.
                        They play ISUr every single year and have for over a hundred years. Big rivalry game.
                        They have their FBS game
                        That leaves one game for them to schedule the majority of years, and it tends to rotate with SIU, WIU, or ISUB. Very short bus rides and Illinois based schools - yes I know ISUb is Indiana but it's like a 45 minute bus ride

I don't know who is reached out too and in what form but SEMO, Valpo, Dayton, Butler, UCA, UAPB, Murray St, UT-M, APSU, or even schools like Tenessee State, Tennesse Tech, EKU, Morehead State, RMU, Duquesne, etc. would all make better H/H deals, for a lot of reasons, than EWU, Montana, Cal Poly, Sac State, Dixie State, Southern Utah, etc.

Though given the way the MVFC and Big Sky have pushed this made up "MVFC/BSC Challenge" I wonder if there is any pressure from the conferences to get schools cross scheduling.
                        Last edited by clenz; 07-14-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

For some reason the FCS national media also makes a big deal about being and staying 'West of the Mississippi' like its 1841 and we have to ford the river in a covered wagon...
                          #MACtion

Comment

A H-H with Tennessee State wouldn't be a bad thing.

Nice trip to Nashville for Panther fans. Players get to play in Titan Stadium. Decent opponent.

SEMO has always been on my list as well. 8 hour bus ride to beautiful Cape Girardeau.

Comment

Would need to be 4-4 in the MVC to make 6-5, but that would assume winning on the West Coast.

Comment

Would need to be 4-4 in the MVC to make 6-5, but that would assume winning on the West Coast.

Comment

Working...
                                X