WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some guessing, history, stats, roster changes, rule changes, and coaching changes. Boom a season projection. So, follow the science.

Comment

Lindy's Sports has us 6th and not ranked pre-season in the MVC. Good Lord, they picked us 7th last season.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
        Lindy's Sports has us 6th and not ranked pre-season in the MVC. Good Lord, they picked us 7th last season.
        UNI finished 6th in the conference last season, so their 7th place prediction wasn't too far off. And their 6th place prediction for this year seems logical.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          UNI finished 6th in the conference last season, so their 7th place prediction wasn't too far off. And their 6th place prediction for this year seems logical.
          No, they have us behind South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

No, they have us behind South Dakota.
            South Dakota beat us at home last year by double digits. IIRC, there were some key injuries to our squad around that time, but even still, that's not an outrageous placement.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

South Dakota beat us at home last year by double digits. IIRC, there were some key injuries to our squad around that time, but even still, that's not an outrageous placement.
              Yeah, they got us, but it's a new season. I have us 5th.

Comment

5th, 6th or 7th… not much difference. I remember the days when UNI would be picked to win the conference
                almost every year. I miss those days…

Comment

Originally posted by uni1988 View Post
                  5th, 6th or 7th… not much difference. I remember the days when UNI would be picked to win the conference
                  almost every year. I miss those days…
                  in the days when the conference was 3rd or 4th best in I-AA, as opposed to the undisputed toughest in the subdivision by far

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                    in the days when the conference was 3rd or 4th best in I-AA, as opposed to the undisputed toughest in the subdivision by far
                    No excuse. I’ll concede that UNI will never beat NDSU and SDSU on a consistent basis, but there’s no reason the other schools have leapt over UNI in the past 10 years, facing similar financial issues. Supposedly UNI recruits as well as or better than these schools, have sent many talented players to the NFL. Yet they still can’t put together a highly successful team on the field like the other schools. After all the changes over the years, there are still two constants that remain that still end up with the same mediocre results: Harris and Farley. Both should go and give UNI football a chance to reclaim the successes it had in the past.

Comment

You might want to look up the H-H between us and SDSU

You might want to look up average finish in the conference between us and SDSU.

Outside of the spring season (where UNI had over a third of the roster sitting out/missing/NFL draft including 5 All Americans) and 2017 (IIRC) the two programs are essentially 100% identical with one notable exception which plays a massive part in perception (local and national) and it's a something mentioned here a TON

OOC.

I've done the breakdown elsewhere (and maybe here) in the past but the reason SDSU is always ranked higher, gets the benefit of the doubt, and will get a seed despite finishing equal with/behind UNI most every year, is OOC record. What plays into the OOC record? The dumbass scheduling our program/AD has put us through going back to Dannen.

SDSU plays 2 buy games at home and then an FBS games. They aren't setting H/H with Montana, EWU, Sac State, Weber State, then sending their programs to Iowa or Iowa State every single year. They are playing Arkansas Pine Bluff, Drake (A LOT), Duquesne, etc. type programs OOC and then FBS programs like Kansas, Colorado State, etc. with an occasional Iowa (like this year). Not an Iowa or Iowa State very single year and then once every 10 or 15 years an Air Force or Hawaii. I know I've posted it here before but of our last 32ish FBS games something like 26 of them have been Iowa or Iowa State - 1 Hawaii (14), 1 Wisconsin (12), 1 BYU (08), 1 Oklahoma State (00 IIRC), 1 Ball State (02 IIRC), 1 Boise State - with Air Force (22) and Hawaii again (124) on the books again in the next 3 years.

Turns out starting 3-0, or 2-1 at worst, and doing so without having to stress your starters the entire game 2000 miles from home compared to 1-2 or 2-1 in best case scerios makes a MASSIVE difference.

The difference in total record the last 8-10 years is entirely made up because of OOC differences. They get to go 6-2 in Valley play but finish 9-2 or 8-3 overall. Then they are a Valley program that went 8-3 or 9-2 and get rewarded for that come playoffs with a seed, which gives them rest, a home game off of the rest, and that second game is almost always a weak team. That means even if they go 1-1 in the playoffs (like UNI) they are a quarter finals team. They go 2-1 and they are a semifinalist, which they've done a lot. UNI has gone 2-1 a few times but that gets us "lucked into a quarter finals) with 9 total wins and SDSU 11 wins and a semis. Which builds reputation and then hype going into the next season which starts you ranked higher, makes you harder to drop in the rankings if you lose, and repeat.

The fact it's UNI that has the rep for choking in the playoffs, and SDSU has escaped it completely the last 10 years, is absolutely insane. HOWEVER, it makes sense they are avoiding that national reputation because they are still finishing in the quarters or later every single year, picking up 10-11+ wins every single season and it's all set up before the season even starts simply by not ****ing up their schedule with thinking we need to play a top tier FBS program and then two top 15 ranked teams with at least one of them on the road.

Comment

[QUOTE=havok58;n721409]

Supposedly UNI recruits as well as or better than these schools, constants that remain: Farley.

This stuck out at me, even though I am as frustrated as anyone.

Comment

Does Farley have a say in scheduling? If so, he would have to see how schools like SDSU are using the easier OOC games to their advantage to get the first round bye. In the meantime, scheduling the harder games, while looking good on the resume, hurts UNI (if they lose those games) by participating in the waiting game at the end of the season to see if they make the bracket, or UNI having to treat the last 4-6 games of the regular season as pre-playoff games to get a chance to get into the playoffs (need to win each week to get in).

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                            Does Farley have a say in scheduling? If so, he would have to see how schools like SDSU are using the easier OOC games to their advantage to get the first round bye. In the meantime, scheduling the harder games, while looking good on the resume, hurts UNI (if they lose those games) by participating in the waiting game at the end of the season to see if they make the bracket, or UNI having to treat the last 4-6 games of the regular season as pre-playoff games to get a chance to get into the playoffs (need to win each week to get in).
                            I don't know how it works under Harris entirely, but I'm guessing little. Pre Dannen he had a lot of control, and an AD that wanted wins and to have a highly ranked and respected program. Look at the OOC scheduling before 2010 or 2011ish. Dannen came in as AD in 08 but schedules were mostly set until 2010 or 2011. It's slightly less than coincidental we went from being the 3-0 or 2-1 OOC team going 6-2 in league play and being top 5 ranked to starting 1-2 and going 5-3 in league play and praying for a playoff bid. Dannen came in and decided he was going to swing his dinger around to prove to everyone how big it was, how much hair he had on his head, and how tall he was. Farley fell in line, because that was his only option, and that's when the post 2012 era started and we got the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" quote from Farley during one of the preseason media interviews. I'm not sure entirely how Harris handles football scheduling, but I'm guessing it isn't all that different from Dannen in that he picked up the contact book Troy left and went "Let's just keep doing that". Given rumors (more than rumors really) how Harris reacts to Jake paying what he has for a few OOC games, I highly doubt he's going to allow Farley to do what every other Valley school does for OOC games, which is why we are lucky to get 6 home games in a 12 game season.

There's a reason SDSU, NDSU, Montana, Montana State, SHSU, etc. don't play 2 ranked teams OOC and then an FBS. It's ****ing stupid. They don't have too. The conference (in the case of SDSU, NDSU, UM and MSU) carry them so ****ing much it would be dumb to put yourself through 2 more ranked and an FBS on top of playing 6 or 7 ranked/ORV teams in conference play.

Comment

The home game against South Dakota State is a 1:00 kick because of course it is.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Home game times up on website. All 4pm except sdsu at 1pm. Only games with out a time yet is at Air force and western Illinois.

Comment

Working...
                                X