WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDSU Gamethread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the status on Mason Niesen and Tyler Hoosman? Cole Bair reported in the Gazette on Friday that neither dressed for the game (https://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...ction-20210220).
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
      Maybe today somebody will tell us how not calling a timeout was good coaching. We have already read how the OLine wasn’t bad. Ignoring the god awful rushing stats and the QB running for his life instantly most of the time.
      The qb running around is what this qb does. He’s never going to be a traditional qb. This has nothing to do with the line. In fact, it makes the job of the line much tougher because he refuses to utilize the pocket. We don’t have any semblance of a traditional rushing attack either so they go hand in hand. I realize many were enamored with the freshman a year ago and I also admired his moxie but I’m not a fan in general with the type of qb that he represents within our offensive structure. I’ve said it over and over, we’ll never win anything meaningful with this type of offensive setup

Comment

It's just one loss. Good Lord, you'd think the world just cracked in half. Seven games against mostly beatable teams. Get special teams and the running game cleaned up and we're 6-2.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
          It's just one loss. Good Lord, you'd think the world just cracked in half. Seven games against mostly beatable teams. Get special teams and the running game cleaned up and we're 6-2.
          And, a loss to a team that was ranked above us, and, therefore, SHOULD HAVE beaten us.

Sounds a lot like last year to me, where we were doomed to never winning a game again, only to go on a big roll at the end of the season and advance into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

And, a loss to a team that was ranked above us, and, therefore, SHOULD HAVE beaten us.

Sounds a lot like last year to me, where we were doomed to never winning a game again, only to go on a big roll at the end of the season and advance into the playoffs.
            It's not about losing the game, it's the coaching decisions and for lack of a better way to say it "they eye test". I didn't see a lot to be encouraged about.

Honest question, is UNI FB's goal to "make the playoffs"? It used to be to win a National Championship and we haven't been close to that in some time. The introduction of NDSU into the picture certainly changes everything and it's probably not fair to compare the '90's with the last 10 years. But there have also been other teams that used to be powers that have moved up. Remember playing Boise State in the playoffs?

You're playing some game with yourself about Jake vs. Farley. The comparison to basketball is just apples to oranges in a lot of ways. First, we are a mid-major. Do we pay Jake a lot of money, yes. And I think he deserves some criticism for this year. But last year we won the Valley regular season. Unfortunately, college basketball is about March even though winning a regular season champ is harder than winning 3 games in St. Louis. I think next year will be a big year on where the program is at with hopefully a healthy AJ, we all want Kimmons to come back and not have to deal with COVID distractions.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post

You're playing some game with yourself about Jake vs. Farley. The comparison to basketball is just apples to oranges in a lot of ways.
              You're right! Farley vs. the Million Dollar Man:
              • Higher winning percentage over his career.
              • More post-season appearances
              • More post-season wins
              • Took us to a national championship game
              • More players into the professional ranks (what's that say about, "mid major" (however that matters)?
              Thanks for pernting out what I've always known. We were duped by the Million Dollar Man, yet Farley is to blame for every awful mistake that Jacobson and UNI basketball makes.

Comment

And, how did I forget the Million Dollar Man's proudest moment, vis a vis Farley?

Farley has never blown a 12 pernt lead in 40 some seconds, due to not teaching his players how to execute a simple thing, such as in-bounding the ball!

Comment

And, how did I forget the Million Dollar Man's proudest moment, vis a vis Farley?

Farley has never blown a 12 pernt lead in 40 some seconds, due to not teaching his players how to execute a simple thing, such as in-bounding the ball!
                  But he sure has blown a lot of late games leads just to lose the game. Been going on for over a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Waverly_Panther View Post

But he sure has blown a lot of late games leads just to lose the game. Been going on for over a decade.
                    Must be why we finished well above .500 every year, enter post-season play, and win games in post-season nearly all of those years, eh?

In addition, is that also why we've HELD ONTO more leads to eventually win, compared to not doing so? Engage cricket soundtrack...NOW!
                    Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

You're right! Farley vs. the Million Dollar Man:
                      • Higher winning percentage over his career.
                      • More post-season appearances
                      • More post-season wins
                      • Took us to a national championship game
                      • More players into the professional ranks (what's that say about, "mid major" (however that matters)?
                      Thanks for pernting out what I've always known. We were duped by the Million Dollar Man, yet Farley is to blame for every awful mistake that Jacobson and UNI basketball makes.
                      If you think making the FCS Playoffs is the same as making the D1 NCAA basketball tournament you're living in some type of alternate universe. Having lived outside of Iowa for the last 20 years, I hate to break it to you that the BB win against KU (or for that matter UNC) got significantly more attention than what even winning the FCS Champ would generate. You do also realize that the market price for a head FCS football coach is significantly different then a D1 BB coach?

More players to "professional ranks"? Thanks for clarifying it's not NBA vs NFL as that would not be fair given roster sizes, etc. Jake has had plenty of players in the "professional ranks".

Comment

If you think making the FCS Playoffs is the same as making the D1 NCAA basketball tournament you're living in some type of alternate universe. Having lived outside of Iowa for the last 20 years, I hate to break it to you that the BB win against KU (or for that matter UNC) got significantly more attention than what even winning the FCS Champ would generate. You do also realize that the market price for a head FCS football coach is significantly different then a D1 BB coach?

More players to "professional ranks"? Thanks for clarifying it's not NBA vs NFL as that would not be fair given roster sizes, etc. Jake has had plenty of players in the "professional ranks".
                        Football has been in decline since the loss to Delaware in the dome. The simplest way to look at this is our conference championships... We haven't shared a title in a decade and it looks like we are the third best team in the conference again this year. The needle hasn't moved on the football program and changes need to be made. Remember when Salmon was the cause of all the problems and he was run off the program. Well Bill left and we didn't get better. In fact I would suggest we've gotten worse. Hard to base a season on the first game but if the first game tells us anything is that the team looks an awful lot like the one that beat up on inferior competition but when it needed to score points against top tier teams, we didn't have the team to do it. Looking like more of the same this year.
                        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Apples vs Volkswagens...
                          #MACtion

Comment

All I know is that one coach reaches post-season play far kore often than another does, and when it comes to the major leagues of pro sports (pro basketball and pro football IN THE U.S.), our lowly FCS football players do seem to reach the big leagues far more than our power conference (Missouri Valley) players from UNI do.

Not sure what else to tell you, other than I root for Panther success, unlike you do, unless people are paid one million dollars to lose.
                            Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 02-23-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

Football has been in decline since the loss to Delaware in the dome.
                              Looking like more of the same this year.
                              Of course, every hyperbole red flag went off with this false comment, so I was led to examine. Shall we examine? Since the Delaware loss in the Dome we have gone 96-51 (65% winning percentage), with only two below .500 seasons during that span. looks like you're right on that one!

As for your second quote above, I'll bet you're (actually, I'm) right on that one! nice to see ypu hoping for the best for the team, eh, folks!?

Comment

what ranking were you looking at? there seems to be a wide variation this year since no one really has any clue how teams stack up.
                                The rankings that were referenced on the broadcast (I believe the STATS poll) had UNI at #3 and SDSU at #5 going into the game, so it was definitely an upset, especially with the game being played at UNI

Comment

Working...
                                X