WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missouri State game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
    Maybe I’ve missed it in multiple threads that are being taken in multiple directions but Cole Bair tweeted 5 days ago that when he interviewed David Harris that an extension with Farley will be announced in the next week or two.
    This was inevitable, unfortunately. Does anyone know who the donors actuallyare that love Farley? Like no one needs to name names, but do these people exist? Like I've always heard that (one of the reasons) we keep Farley around is because there are some big name donors that just love him. But are they real? Or are they just an excuse, "Oh yeah, we gotta keep him around because the donors would back out otherwise," and it's covering up for some other, more embarrassing reason he's still here (for example, no one else wants to be here)?

Comment

I realize Farley is an alum, but when losses mount where we are 5-6 the fans won't show up even if they're vaccinated. Not that the vaccines are a cure. I don't think COVID will be cured. All we want is for the cases and deaths to go down. How long? Your guess is as good as mine.
      Last edited by BrockLesnar; 03-29-2021, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
        Maybe I’ve missed it in multiple threads that are being taken in multiple directions but Cole Bair tweeted 5 days ago that when he interviewed David Harris that an extension with Farley will be announced in the next week or two.
        Why can't we at least consider a second division MAC/ MWC Assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

This was inevitable, unfortunately. Does anyone know who the donors actuallyare that love Farley? Like no one needs to name names, but do these people exist? Like I've always heard that (one of the reasons) we keep Farley around is because there are some big name donors that just love him. But are they real? Or are they just an excuse, "Oh yeah, we gotta keep him around because the donors would back out otherwise," and it's covering up for some other, more embarrassing reason he's still here (for example, no one else wants to be here)?

I can't speak to the "actual donors," but I've been to events like TC's Tailgate and seen Farley have groups of presumably decent donors eating out of his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

I can't speak to the "actual donors," but I've been to events like TC's Tailgate and seen Farley have groups of presumably decent donors eating out of his hand.
            Okay, that's all I wanted to know, that these people existed. That makes me more comfortable, honestly. "We keep this guy around because we are money starved and he can get it" is so much better than "We keep this guy around because no one wants to coach here."

This sounds flippant, but it's not. Like, for all of Farley's shortcomings, his ability to secure the bag, for both himself and the school, is unmatched. That's why I'm stoked for that game in Minneapolis, he'll beat up on a D2 team and then he's gonna come back with a 5 million dollar check from the alums up there.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

would Alabama football be happy and content with only winning 66% of games and making some bowl-game-no-one-really-cares-about?
              I doubt it.
              More happy than winning 61% of their games, and finishing 10-15 (40% winning percentage) eh?!
              Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 03-30-2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                I don't think COVID will be cured.
                Nor does anyone in the medical community, due to the fact that we've never cured a virus in the history of medicine.

Comment

If you look at the fundraising that has happened under Farley specifically for the football program - the fact that the PSC continues to break records or come close year after year - even during Covid times - etc. - that's not easy to find or replicate. Something is going right there. (And obviously it's not just Farley that gets the credit but you have to give him some).

If you have been lucky enough to hear him speak at PSC events - or elsewhere - you can't help but want to run through a brick wall for the guy. Heck, I can speak from experience, he can make a Zoom meeting exciting.

Also, it's well known that he did a tremendous job as interim AD before the Dannen hire.

I'm not speaking to anything here regarding play calling, winning percentage, style of play, etc. I'm specifically addressing the question posed above about whether or not he has loyal donors.
                  "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

There is a 99% chance that the Farley haters on here would complain just as much about whoever was hired as the next coach. Maybe not right away, but within a couple years, they would be right back to complaining.

And those that can't handle any sort of criticism or complaint about the program are always going to be totally annoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      There is a 99% chance that the Farley haters on here would complain just as much about whoever was hired as the next coach. Maybe not right away, but within a couple years, they would be right back to complaining.
                      Maybe. One sport, curiously, does seem to be immune to these same criticisms.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post
                        every sport that is talked about at all (there are plenty that just don't get discussion at all) tends to have people criticizing aspects of it.
                        I don't know of any that are immune.

Comment

• Agreed. We aren't talking enough about how awful we are at tennis.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post
                            I mean this is just absolutely and indisputably incorrect.
                            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Agreed. We aren't talking enough about how awful we are at tennis.
                              I just learned that evidently, Stony Brook (from NY) is in the MVC for tennis. That seems rather odd. (they haven't played any of the other MVC schools this year, but I don't know if that is due to COVID or what)

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                every sport that is talked about at all (there are plenty that just don't get discussion at all) tends to have people criticizing aspects of it.
                                I don't know of any that are immune.
                                I know of one that is largely immune comparatively.

Comment

Working...
                                X