WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missouri State game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

I mean this is just absolutely and indisputably incorrect.
    How often do you criticize other UNI sports, vis a vis football?

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
      Agreed. We aren't talking enough about how awful we are at tennis.
      Let's fire the baseball coach. Oh wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by kochrab View Post

Let's fire the baseball coach. Oh wait...
        Little known UNI baseball fact. We had the youngest Benes brother on our squad in the early 90s. Adam played here his freshman year. Pitcher of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

If you have been lucky enough to hear him speak at PSC events - or elsewhere - you can't help but want to run through a brick wall for the guy. Heck, I can speak from experience, he can make a Zoom meeting exciting.
          Quoted for accuracy!!!

Comment

• Missouri State now has more MVFC conference championships than UNI does in the past 9 seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
              Missouri State now has more MVFC conference championships than UNI does in the past 9 seasons.
              Oh, good Lord.

Mr.Harris, a change needs to be made. This program is completely stagnant. We're wasting defensive talent, wasting wide receiver talent, and fan apathy continues to climb. I've seen several here say that when Farley speaks, people want to run through a brick wall for him, but if he's not putting his players in schemes that can make them successful, what difference does that make?

Tell Farley that we're hiring a legitimate offensive coordinator who will be given full control of the offense, or it's time to move him to a fundraising/consulting role. The argument has always been "what if we add a new coach, and they're not as good"? At this rate if we don't make a change soon, there isn't going to be anybody left to care the next time the Panthers are relevant again. That building is going to be over half empty next fall if he returns with an extension. You've got to give people some hope and generate some excitement, and that is DEAD right now.

I'm a 30-year fan and UNI graduate, and I can't bring myself to care enough to watch them play the best team in the conference over the past decade, because there's no entertainment value there... we know how the story ends before kickoff.

As another poster mentioned, the late 2000s broke Farley's brain when it came to offense. He saw Appalachian State's running quarterback in the championship game, and spent the next decade trying to make his team like that, rather than just going with a straightforward, pro style offense that would not only maximize the talents of the type of players that he's able to recruit, but provide a nice compliment to the solid defense that he always builds.

It is so hard for this program to get attention in this state, and the fact that it's stagnant with losing records buries them even deeper in the state's consciousness. That causes them to lose recruits, it kills attendance, and it makes our football program largely irrelevant in the eyes of anyone in the state that's not a die-hard Panther fan.

Please make a change.
              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
              - George Halas

Comment

• I agree with 95Unigrad’s post.

For me, the expectation and reality was UNI beat the teams they were supposed to beat, beat the teams that were their equal. I had confidence that if they had a lead in the 4th quarter they wouldn’t lose it and if they were down by a touchdown or less late in the game they would either rally to tie or win the game.

Now I have lowered those expectations. That isn’t the reality anymore. I have lost that confidence in holding onto leads in the 4th quarter. I have given up hope in any sort of a comeback or late game heroics. This is all due to coaching. Poor decisions in play calling and and not putting the best players in positions to succeed have made this program predictable and other teams know this. UNI, namely Farley, has not kept up with the times, especially on offense. He still has in lapses on defense. When the opponent is facing third and long, they design a play over the middle because they know the receiver will be open for a first down, consistently.

It is time to Farley to step down after this fall season, not time for another extension. Bring in fresh minds, rejuvenate the fan base. UNI has set a standard for success, and unfortunately it has not been met the last 10 years.

Comment

• You hit a word that has led to more down seasons and fan apathy than anything else: predictable.

Teams know how to beat us because we don't learn, grow, and change. Fans get down and find it hard to get excited again.

I was a Chicago Bears fan for years (until about 2015 - Trestman era), and it's so similar. I got tired of Aaron Rodgers laughing at my team when he came to the sideline because he knew how to beat their D, and they just refused to adjust.

I've had that same feeling about this program for several years; I care so deeply how they do, but it just never changes. Several schools in the conference have caught and passed us now, and again; nothing changes.

The rah-rah stuff is great and there is definitely room for that, but it needs to be paired with sound scheming and, for God's sake, the willingness to delegate to someone that can focus entirely on the offense without interference (most of the time at least).

I feel like this program is stuck in the 90s/early 2000s and has completely lost its mojo and momentum. We need some energy. I'm open to ideas of how that can happen with Farley as head coach, because I'm not currently seeing how that happens.
                  Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                  Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                  - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                  X