WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 QB? and other depth chart discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post
    I’m not the one that made the claim. The burden of proof isn’t on me to prove anything.

You’re also already trying to move the goal posts already. I told you to prove your specific accusation and you’ve already tried to change what you were asked to prove.

the thread being locked has nothing to do with your ability to pull links to posts and share them.
    When one has to show another that there are people on here who incessantly gripe about UNI football and Farley, I believe it's time to invoke the Twain rule.

Comment

That’s not what I was debating.

you said there was a 30 point playoff win and the thread was nothing but people complaining.

i asked for links and proof

Comment

Is he talking about the Eastern Illinois game that was over about 8 minutes in?

I'm sure that thread was full of indifference but he doesn't exactly pick up on subtlety so...
        #MACtion

Comment

New to panthernation.GO PANTHERS! Just a couple thoughts on our qb. I understand that Will didn't do anything to lose the game but I also can see he didn't do anything to win it either. There are so many parts that it isn’t on any 1 player. Line play is huge…maybe that’s where the issue is? For our offense to be successful...we have to be able to stretch the field. There were a couple chances for him to do this and missed on those chances. We need to do something different on offense to get this team rolling because the defense is one of the best in the division. I feel our receivers are good and we need to get them the ball downfield. This will help the run game.

Comment

I got genuinely curious so I did his work for him

The first negative post is from - wait for it - run&blade

A few minutes later unipanther2154 asked a legitmate question

06panther 10
            and

3 and 10, QB draw right up the middle. Says everything about our offense and QB right there.
            Now, we also need to remember that 2015/2016 was peak Carnes/Bailey 4 years of truly god awful QB play. It honeslty is entirely fair to say the offense wasn't great.

Was there people not super happy? Yes, however, you have to completely ignore context and how the that season and the previous 3 seasons had gone at that point - and then pretend that the year after was somehow even worse.

The offense wasn't good. A competent offense doesn't have 1 completed pass through a quarter and a half. A competent offense has more than 13 points on that god-awful excuse of a playoff team with 2 minutes to go in the first half.

That game featured UNI kicking 3 field goals from the redzone and two of them were literally extra point in length. Imagine being UNI, which prides itself on running the ball and pounding the defense, and not being able to score from the 2 yards line. Then having a QB that was 6'4 225lbs and a known running QB paired up with a 6'4 225lb running back and not having the confidence in scoring on 4th down so you kick a field goal from the 2-yard line. Special teams/defense accounted for something like 20 points in that game.

Remember that same offense started that game fumbling on their first play and turning it over and then two puns on the next two possessions and finally getting on the board at the end of the first quarter with a field goal.

UNI's offense was also left with a short field, a lot, by the defense. The first score of the game came because UNI's defense forced a ToD near midfield. Then the next possession forced a 3 and out that gave the ball back at mid-field. Then the next possession forced a fumble and gave the offense the ball to start inside the redzone. Then the next possession the defense/special teams set the offense up deep in EIU territory thanks to a 42-yard punt return by DB Makinton Dorleant.

It is entirely possible to watch a game, win a game, and still be critical about what happened in the game. Especially when you don't ignore everything else happening around the program that season/decade and treat that one game in a complete vacuum.

Comment

Pnthr53… Welcome to the family. Enjoy your time on Panther Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by pnthr53 View Post
                New to panthernation.GO PANTHERS! Just a couple thoughts on our qb. I understand that Will didn't do anything to lose the game but I also can see he didn't do anything to win it either. There are so many parts that it isn’t on any 1 player. Line play is huge…maybe that’s where the issue is? For our offense to be successful...we have to be able to stretch the field. There were a couple chances for him to do this and missed on those chances. We need to do something different on offense to get this team rolling because the defense is one of the best in the division. I feel our receivers are good and we need to get them the ball downfield. This will help the run game.
                Welcome!!

You are pretty much spot on!
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by pnthr53 View Post
                  Good points. Sorry for being repetitive, but you have to figure a way to get the ball to Westin down field. He’s your NFL prospect WR, with other good players in that group. A run game would also help free up some deeper pass routes.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Good points. Sorry for being repetitive, but you have to figure a way to get the ball to Westin down field. He’s your NFL prospect WR, with other good players in that group. A run game would also help free up some deeper pass routes.
                    Which I still cant figure out why this has not happened. As I have pointed out previously, there was a nice half of a season stretch 2 years where we were really stretching the field with down the field passing, using Weston especially, and since then there has been virtually none of that.

We have good receivers. Need to open up the offense to utilize them down the field.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Which I still cant figure out why this has not happened. As I have pointed out previously, there was a nice half of a season stretch 2 years where we were really stretching the field with down the field passing, using Weston especially, and since then there has been virtually none of that.

We have good receivers. Need to open up the offense to utilize them down the field.
                      I think this is still the concern with Will. I haven't seen anything that indicates he is going to be better at finding receivers down field and putting the ball in the area with any degree of accuracy. His down field passes seem to be throw it high and deep and hope the receiver can run under it. The ISU game wasn't a great measuring stick for this but hopefully we will get a chance to see it this weekend. I agree that we need to find Weston and seeing a TE running deep over the middle has been missing from the offense for far too long.
                      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

There were too many horizontal passes this past Saturday. Need to start throwing down the field, not across it so much. Part of this could be the coaches knowing we’d have a hard time running the football against a pretty good FBS level defense, and those horizontal throws were basically stretch running plays. However, NFL prospect receivers don’t exactly show up at your door every year. Get him the football down the field where he can bust one. He certainly had the ability to do that against ISU.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                          That’s not what I was debating.

you said there was a 30 point playoff win and the thread was nothing but people complaining.

i asked for links and proof
                          And, I told you before: the thread is LOCKED. Do some kind of search for Eastern Illinois, playoffs, and 53-17. if you should get a result, take a look at the numbers of people griping over that lopsided win.
                          Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 09-07-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                            I got genuinely curious so I did his work for him

The first negative post is from - wait for it - run&blade

A few minutes later unipanther2154 asked a legitmate question

06panther 10

and

Now, we also need to remember that 2015/2016 was peak Carnes/Bailey 4 years of truly god awful QB play. It honeslty is entirely fair to say the offense wasn't great.

Was there people not super happy? Yes, however, you have to completely ignore context and how the that season and the previous 3 seasons had gone at that point - and then pretend that the year after was somehow even worse.

The offense wasn't good. A competent offense doesn't have 1 completed pass through a quarter and a half. A competent offense has more than 13 points on that god-awful excuse of a playoff team with 2 minutes to go in the first half.

That game featured UNI kicking 3 field goals from the redzone and two of them were literally extra point in length. Imagine being UNI, which prides itself on running the ball and pounding the defense, and not being able to score from the 2 yards line. Then having a QB that was 6'4 225lbs and a known running QB paired up with a 6'4 225lb running back and not having the confidence in scoring on 4th down so you kick a field goal from the 2-yard line. Special teams/defense accounted for something like 20 points in that game.

Remember that same offense started that game fumbling on their first play and turning it over and then two puns on the next two possessions and finally getting on the board at the end of the first quarter with a field goal.

UNI's offense was also left with a short field, a lot, by the defense. The first score of the game came because UNI's defense forced a ToD near midfield. Then the next possession forced a 3 and out that gave the ball back at mid-field. Then the next possession forced a fumble and gave the offense the ball to start inside the redzone. Then the next possession the defense/special teams set the offense up deep in EIU territory thanks to a 42-yard punt return by DB Makinton Dorleant.

It is entirely possible to watch a game, win a game, and still be critical about what happened in the game. Especially when you don't ignore everything else happening around the program that season/decade and treat that one game in a complete vacuum.

Touche...

Keep something in mind about me: I don't say something just for the sake of saying it.

Comment

Translation: UNI looked AWFUL against a top 10 BCS team!

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

I think this is still the concern with Will. I haven't seen anything that indicates he is going to be better at finding receivers down field and putting the ball in the area with any degree of accuracy. His down field passes seem to be throw it high and deep and hope the receiver can run under it. The ISU game wasn't a great measuring stick for this but hopefully we will get a chance to see it this weekend. I agree that we need to find Weston and seeing a TE running deep over the middle has been missing from the offense for far too long.
                                This was my feeling as well. I didn't see much that instilled me with confidence that Will is going to find his downfield mojo again. You could damn near guarantee that Weston would have a huge play every game 2 years ago because Will would and could aggressively push the ball downfield to him. Granted that is one of the best/most talented defense's our program may EVER see but I'm hoping this weekend can alleviate those concerns.

Comment

Working...
                                X