WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD disarray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Apparently, we'll never learn.

Here are single game basketball ticket prices for 2021-22--
    201-22 UNI Men's Basketball
    Single Game Prices
    TIER 1
    TIER 2
    106, 108
    113, 115
    TIER 3
    101-105
    TIER 4
    Non-Conference $35 $25 $15 $10
    Conference Games $40 $30 $20 $15
    Quoting Newsbreaker on page 12 of this thread:

"We, especially athletically, have a problem. We’re a $25 ticket in a two-dollar town."

Empty seats - even if paid for by donors/sponsors - is a bad look on TV.

Empty seats because your ticket pricing strategy is out-of-touch with the ticket market is ...
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
      Iowa State's average ticket price is $77 and Iowa's average is around $89, so maybe not horrible, but still too high to get walk-up business on gameday from locals. I continue to be astounded that fans are staying home and watching events on TV, so the response from university athletic departments is to make games too cost-prohibitive to attend. Shooting themselves in the foot.
      That's season tickets when you factor in donations.

I can go on Iowa's website right now and get tickets to see Michigan State or Illinois for $25 two thirds of the way up at the free throw line.

The parquet level in Ames is sold out but it looks like I can get lower corners for Kansas or Baylor for $30.

Why on earth am I paying the same price for similar seats to see Wartburg or paying more to see Valpo?
      #MACtion

Comment

• Yeah, it's one thing to show up to events. It's another to be regularly out in public saying "this project is important to me, and I'm committed to getting it done."

That's what Bob Koob did with the McLeod Center and Gallagher-Bluedorn
        It's what Deno Curris did with the WRC and Business Building.
        It's what John Kamerick did with the UNI-Dome and Strayer-Wood/Art Building.

All three had strong ADs with a lot of other help, but how did we go from these three forward-thinking, ambitious, out-spoken presidents to the past three (Allen, Ruud, Nook) shrinking violets?

In my opinion, we don't necessarily have an athletics department problem, we have a university problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
          Yeah, it's one thing to show up to events. It's another to be regularly out in public saying "this project is important to me, and I'm committed to getting it done."

That's what Bob Koob did with the McLeod Center and Gallagher-Bluedorn
          It's what Deno Curris did with the WRC and Business Building.
          It's what John Kamerick did with the UNI-Dome and Strayer-Wood/Art Building.

All three had strong ADs with a lot of other help, but how did we go from these three forward-thinking, ambitious, out-spoken presidents to the past three (Allen, Ruud, Nook) shrinking violets?

In my opinion, we don't necessarily have an athletics department problem, we have a university problem.
          Hell of a lot easier to make it a satellite campus for The University of Iowa when nobody cares about The University of NORTHERN Iowa.

It's been rehashed a million times but for all the great things Bob Koob did, the reduction in enrollment in 2006 and 2007 when we were well on our way to 20,000 was a, possibly, fatal mistake.
          #MACtion

Comment

• Only two Saturday night games is a bummer.

dinner and a basketball game is a great Saturday evening. I always wish I could do it more often. I guess the reason I don’t isn’t my fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
              Only two Saturday night games is a bummer.

dinner and a basketball game is a great Saturday evening. I always wish I could do it more often. I guess the reason I don’t isn’t my fault.
              "dinner" as it eating concession food for your meal, or are you going out to dinner prior to a basketball game that starts at 5 pm?
              or is it the basketball game first and then dinner?

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

"dinner" as it eating concession food for your meal, or are you going out to dinner prior to a basketball game that starts at 5 pm?
                What could that possibly matter?

Most people are not incomprehensible dullards like you and like to plan weekend recreational activities around games.

That was, of course before UNI made it a $200 venture for a family to attend a game against ****ing valpo.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

Go out to eat and then go to game. Maybe a Sam’s run before that. For out-of-towners it makes for a nice way to spend a Saturday.

I tend to be a homebody on Sundays.

concession food ? Lol, no.

Comment

• A few empty seats doesn't necessarily indicate a mis-priced product.

A lot of empty seats absolutely does.

I suppose there are two ways to fix that. One is to increase the quality, and therefore the desirability, of your product. We're years into having a lot of empty seats, though. Good teams, average teams, and otherwise, all have the same issue. In that case, I don't know how you conclude you have anything other than a pricing issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                      Apparently, we'll never learn.

Here are single game basketball ticket prices for 2021-22--
                      201-22 UNI Men's Basketball
                      Single Game Prices
                      TIER 1
                      TIER 2
                      106, 108
                      113, 115
                      TIER 3
                      101-105
                      TIER 4
                      Non-Conference $35 $25 $15 $10
                      Conference Games $40 $30 $20 $15
                      It's still cheaper to get these tickets than season tickets if I'm looking at this correctly. Section 113 is $309 per ticket and if you bought individual games you would pay $320 for the same section, but you wouldn't have to pay $100 per seat for a PSC donation. This also doesn't include the inevitable discounts that are typically offered during the holidays when students are gone.

I don't have the answer, but it feels like they have backed themselves into a corner due to season ticket prices and donation requirements. If they price individual game tickets much lower it makes the costs of season tickets for your loyal supporters much less attractive. With that said, I don't know what else there is to do in the Cedar Valley during the winter? It's worth the money, but people don't show up. In 2010 it felt like it took 20+ games before people realized it was a good team and sold out the McLeod. It's hard to ask people to travel and pay these prices when you can't get the local community to go 10 minutes...

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

It's still cheaper to get these tickets than season tickets if I'm looking at this correctly. Section 113 is $309 per ticket and if you bought individual games you would pay $320 for the same section, but you wouldn't have to pay $100 per seat for a PSC donation. This also doesn't include the inevitable discounts that are typically offered during the holidays when students are gone.

I don't have the answer, but it feels like they have backed themselves into a corner due to season ticket prices and donation requirements. If they price individual game tickets much lower it makes the costs of season tickets for your loyal supporters much less attractive. With that said, I don't know what else there is to do in the Cedar Valley during the winter? It's worth the money, but people don't show up. In 2010 it felt like it took 20+ games before people realized it was a good team and sold out the McLeod. It's hard to ask people to travel and pay these prices when you can't get the local community to go 10 minutes...
                        But clearly, it isn't worth the money. If it were, people would show up. It really is just that simple.

I used to work in local television. We had a sales manager who would rather run PSAs (unpaid), station promos (again, unpaid) and PIs (Per-Inquiry - think the Garden Weasel, with an 800-number in which *if* someone from one of the communities within our ADI calls and buys a Garden Weasel the station gets some sort of cut of that sale ... no one from our ADI calls, the station gets nothing) rather than discounting the airtime to local/regional advertisers - which would get much more revenue - because "our air time is worth more than that."**

But is wasn't. The market determines the value.

Event tickets are like TV air time - you cannot sit on them and sell later. Once the event passes, they hold no value.

**Guess who wasn't the sales manager for very long.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• I'm not sure it has been a product worth the money for 4 or 5 years. Maybe the year we would have gone to the NIT except for Covid?
                          Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

But clearly, it isn't worth the money. If it were, people would show up. It really is just that simple.

I used to work in local television. We had a sales manager who would rather run PSAs (unpaid), station promos (again, unpaid) and PIs (Per-Inquiry - think the Garden Weasel, with an 800-number in which *if* someone from one of the communities within our ADI calls and buys a Garden Weasel the station gets some sort of cut of that sale ... no one from our ADI calls, the station gets nothing) rather than discounting the airtime to local/regional advertisers - which would get much more revenue - because "our air time is worth more than that."**

But is wasn't. The market determines the value.

Event tickets are like TV air time - you cannot sit on them and sell later. Once the event passes, they hold no value.

**Guess who wasn't the sales manager for very long.

Advertising is an extremely effective analogy here.

We have, effectively, ~7,000 "units" to sell. If we sell them all at a dollar apiece, we make about the same as selling 2,300 at $3 apiece. The magic is figuring out that you can sell 3,500 at $2.50 each, or all 7,000 at $2.

We're stuck on the the higher price point, in part because it's embarrassing to lower it, and in part because we have a bad, subjective assessment of value.

Sometimes you are better off letting a unit go unsold than lowering your price, but when you're consistently undersold, you probably have your pricing wrong.

Comment

• Hopefully they still do the student section tickets for $5-10 to general public.

those got a lot of walk up sales

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                                Hopefully they still do the student section tickets for $5-10 to general public.

those got a lot of walk up sales
                                I don't recall that ever being a thing...so I am going to say they don't

Comment

Working...
                                X