WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD disarray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years

Baloney. It isn't the AD' fault that people don't attend games, for God's sake.

Perhaps your and others' incessant griping on this forum is informing people to not go, as the team ALWAYS sucks. I'd put my money on that more than I would an AD.
    An AD isn't gonna make us sell out/not sell out. But it's definitely his job to market and get people there. So 13k vs 7k is definitely on him.

Comment

• As odd as it is for him to be going "how dare people not show up," it's at least an acknowledgement that attendance is cratering, which is a lot better than the complete lack of response we were getting.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years

Baloney. They reduce ticket prices and people still don't come. It also fails to take into account that we have thousands fewer students on campus these days too.

Harris certainly fills the seats for rasslin, so the feeble attempt at cause and effect doesn't hold water.
        Oh I see. Are you suggesting that years of disappointing finishes from Farley would lead to this?

That seems to go against your beliefs .

Comment

• The mother****er just won't go away will he?

By his logic that means that a CEO of a company hemorrhaging sales shouldn't be held accountable because it's the fault of the people not buying. The words to convey how stupid that is simply don't exist.

And I continue to want an answer for how the **** the number of students enrolled affects the general public from showing up?!? It's bat**** ****ing crazy intentional trolling from a a ****ing moron incapable of a good faith discussion.

Now please stop quoting and engaging with this brainless mother****er....

#MACtion

Comment

• The constant negativity and people that resort to cussing and namecalling might dampen some peoples enthusiasm to attend games, but the vast majority of the fanbase/potential fanbase has never heard of this forum, let alone has the desire to follow it on a regular basis.

Comment

• Cool, I'm sure this forum is a large part of the overall lack of enthusiasm to attend games. Not the lack of a coherent marketing strategy to get people into the Dome

Comment

• I'm as disappointed as anyone that we aren't able to draw better.

And we need to re-think strategies to get the Cedar Valley back into that building.

But I do think that playing in a Dome during Covid is a factor. There is a segment of the population that isn't ready to watch games indoors.

It's not a factor for me but it still is for a meaningful percentage of fans.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                  Cool, I'm sure this forum is a large part of the overall lack of enthusiasm to attend games. Not the lack of a coherent marketing strategy to get people into the Dome
                  Completely. It's totally the fault of people that are invested enough in the program to seek out a place to talk about it that are the problem.

My whole day of tailgating and going to the game yesterday detracted from The awesome GameDay atmosphere we've got going...
                  #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                    I'm as disappointed as anyone that we aren't able to draw better.

And we need to re-think strategies to get the Cedar Valley back into that building.

But I do think that playing in a Dome during Covid is a factor. There is a segment of the population that isn't ready to watch games indoors.

It's not a factor for me but it still is for a meaningful percentage of fans.
                    I agree. However, that doesn't explain the declines that were well underway before COVID was even a thing.

We can make a million excuses but the end result is the end result.
                    #MACtion

Comment

• I think another big factor in our attendance is the level of competition in the MVFC.

The reality is we play better competition week-to-week than we ever have.

And while many on this board know how good an SIU or USD or MSU is...the casual fan does not. Most people don't know FCS football...even sports fans.

So it's harder to win 9-10 games a year and 85% of games in the Dome.

And at the FCS level...people want to see you win. If you're not winning...and winning a lot...fans don't show up.

For hard core fans like many of us, the high level of play in the MVFC makes it very interesting. To get casual fans to UNI games, we'd be better off playing lesser competition and going 9-2 or better every year.

That doesn't solve the problem...at all. But it's a factor at the FCS level. People will follow an FCS winner...but it falls off quickly if you don't win a lot. And it's a lot harder to do that than it once was.
                      Last edited by Blue42; 10-31-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• I personally don’t think attendance is a big deal. Yes, the crowd yesterday was small but we still got loud enough to make an impact. The fans that do show up are passionate and into the game! It’s also nice not being super crowded and makes games more enjoyable to watch when your not crammed together.

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherfan1997 View Post
                          I personally don’t think attendance is a big deal. Yes, the crowd yesterday was small but we still got loud enough to make an impact. The fans that do show up are passionate and into the game! It’s also nice not being super crowded and makes games more enjoyable to watch when your not crammed together.
                          It's a HUGE deal. It impacts recruiting, money, enjoyment of the student athlete, perception of the program, being able to hire good coaches and staff, etc.
                          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• I’m sure someone will call me a bad peeps for or saying this but I don’t care

if you don’t want to be crowded stay the **** at home.

a full stadium has such a massive impact on dozens of levels within the program and athletic department.

the best games in the dome I’ve ever been too involve having so little room to move you don’t know where you stop and the people around you stop

the SIU game in 07 had people standing on the south steps going down to the field 3 or 4 deep. Im pretty sure the fire marshall was less than happy because of that game. I don’t remember the announced attendance but I have it in very good authority it was well over 18k.

our dome, when full, is legitimately one of the two or three most intimidating and loudest places in the country at the fcs level. Joe Flacco l, years after the game, mentioned the UNIDome was the loudest stadium he ever played in - when he was at Pitt, UD and the NFL. The dome wasn’t even full that’s at because of the storm.

it doesn’t take 16k for the dome to be a ***** and a half for opposing teams. 12 or 13 is where that place really starts to turn. Yet now we can’t even get half of that.
                            Last edited by clenz; 10-31-2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                              To get casual fans to UNI games, we'd be better off playing lesser competition and going 9-2 or better every year.
                              I don't think moving to the OVC or Pioneer is going to draw higher attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                I don't think moving to the OVC or Pioneer is going to draw higher attendance.
                                I'm not suggesting that's the right move.

But pointing out we live in that weird in-between world where we play a very high level of competition...but most fans don't understand it.

When Iowa State brings OU into town, their fans are pumped for the match up.

We don't get the same type of lift for playing top notch opponents...not even NDSU.

And if we lose the fan interest drops off much faster at the FCS level.

As the MVFC has gotten better...and it absolutely has...it makes it harder to win a lot and harder to sustain fan interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X