WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD disarray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

1650 does have pretty good reach. That's my go to station in Grinnell and I can get pretty much all the way to Des Moines before I actually lose signal. I guess I'm not sure how far it may stretch in other directions, but down here I typically get better signal on 1650 than I do 1540
    This is their daytime coverage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	KCNZ_AM_LD.gif
Views:	437
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	717563

It's very good. At night, it's not so good (though it can vary wildly):

Name:	KCNZ_AM_LN.gif
Views:	429
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	717564

The problem for the future of the UNI Network is the death of local radio in the Cedar Valley. The KXEL FM sister stations all left town more than a year ago, and all the Townsquare (K923/KCRR/Q985) all left this winter. There's really just KXEL/KWLO and the KCNZ group.

In a way, UNI is close to back where it started. It had to go beg KOEL to build a "network" when Rima came on board. He's leaving, and the local landscape is pretty bleak. Thank God Learfield knows what they're doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post

This is their daytime coverage:

Name:	KCNZ_AM_LD.gif
Views:	437
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	717563

It's very good. At night, it's not so good (though it can vary wildly):

Name:	KCNZ_AM_LN.gif
Views:	429
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	717564

The problem for the future of the UNI Network is the death of local radio in the Cedar Valley. The KXEL FM sister stations all left town more than a year ago, and all the Townsquare (K923/KCRR/Q985) all left this winter. There's really just KXEL/KWLO and the KCNZ group.

In a way, UNI is close to back where it started. It had to go beg KOEL to build a "network" when Rima came on board. He's leaving, and the local landscape is pretty bleak. Thank God Learfield knows what they're doing.
      Speaking of...

You heard any rumors on who might be the next guy? There was a little smoke around Josh Christensen for a while but that's kind of died down.

I just freaking hope that Klienhans-Schultz isn't the guy. He's got the perfect job for himself now. I just don't think being the guy is the way to go with him.
      #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Speaking of...

You heard any rumors on who might be the next guy? There was a little smoke around Josh Christensen for a while but that's kind of died down.

I just freaking hope that Klienhans-Schultz isn't the guy. He's got the perfect job for himself now. I just don't think being the guy is the way to go with him.
        I haven't heard anything, but I'm not connected to these things like I once was.

It's such a weird time, because the local bench is so shallow. Rima came up through a regionally relevant full-service radio station that made the commitment to develop him, and he met a rising program at the right time. It was kind of a perfect storm. Local radio barely exists, and isn't developing all the PxP talent it once was.

What makes it different is Learfield. To the extent there is a bench at smaller schools, they have it. Kind of a tough gig, though. Gary did a good job building other career interests around the challenging UNI broadcast schedule. Dolph always had his kind-of ceremonial/PR gig with a bank. Walters just works for the University. The scheduling demands require a lot of flexibility, and I'd guess Learfield will see this as a chance to cut a little cost (though I'm purely speculating there). Christensen, as a local broadcaster who could kind of cobble things together made some sense to me, though I don't know if I've heard him call a game.

UNI has been extremely lucky for a long time. This will be a weird transition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post

I haven't heard anything, but I'm not connected to these things like I once was.

It's such a weird time, because the local bench is so shallow. Rima came up through a regionally relevant full-service radio station that made the commitment to develop him, and he met a rising program at the right time. It was kind of a perfect storm. Local radio barely exists, and isn't developing all the PxP talent it once was.

What makes it different is Learfield. To the extent there is a bench at smaller schools, they have it. Kind of a tough gig, though. Gary did a good job building other career interests around the challenging UNI broadcast schedule. Dolph always had his kind-of ceremonial/PR gig with a bank. Walters just works for the University. The scheduling demands require a lot of flexibility, and I'd guess Learfield will see this as a chance to cut a little cost (though I'm purely speculating there). Christensen, as a local broadcaster who could kind of cobble things together made some sense to me, though I don't know if I've heard him call a game.

UNI has been extremely lucky for a long time. This will be a weird transition.
          I'd be all for the Walters model. Let whoever basically run all of the broadcasting and social media presence as well as be the 'face' of the department but I have a tough time thinking UNI and Learfield are willing to kick in a 6 figure salary to make that happen.

It's probably going to be some young cheap kid looking for a break that's working at a low major somewhere and that's just putting that poor soul into an unwinnable situation from the moment he sits in the chair and compounded by the real possibility that Petey and KB are done too.
          #MACtion

Comment

• Scott wants to continue to work the games. Of course that won't all be his decision and the choice of the PbP guy could also play a key role in that as well.
            If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
              Scott wants to continue to work the games. Of course that won't all be his decision and the choice of the PbP guy could also play a key role in that as well.
              Good to know. I thought of the two that KB was the more likely to step away. He doesn't love the travel and basketball is way more of a commitment than football is for obvious reasons.

I've heard Matt Schneiderman's name mentioned to move into that slot. He's done a nice job on the few TV games he's done and I think he'd do well.
              #MACtion

Comment

Good to know. I thought of the two that KB was the more likely to step away. He doesn't love the travel and basketball is way more of a commitment than football is for obvious reasons.

I've heard Matt Schneiderman's name mentioned to move into that slot. He's done a nice job on the few TV games he's done and I think he'd do well.
                Yeah I heard Schnied's coverage on one of the games and was impressed. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to be the color guy if KB decided to step away. In fact that wouldn't surprise me like you said with the commitment that is required for basketball season this would be the time for him to do it.
                If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Yeah agree... Schneiderman is pretty good.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• I don’t know Eastern Iowa media well, but what about Cole Bair? It sounds like he has a radio show already, and would have the connections to be a candidate. I have no idea if he has any PBP experience. When Drake hired Michael Admire I don’t know if he had a bunch of PBP experience, but he was a local TV broadcaster.
                    Last edited by SteinPizza; 02-25-2022, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      I don’t know Eastern Iowa media well, but what about Cole Bair? It sounds like he has a radio show already, and would have the connections to be a candidate. I have no idea if he has any PBP experience. When Drake hired Michael Admire I don’t know if he had a bunch of PBP experience, but he was a local TV broadcaster.
                      I'm honestly not sure Cole would be interested in something like that. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by English77 View Post
                        The Courier is doing what dying organizations do: after trimming all the fat, start trimming bone and muscle. It’s difficult to watch from the outside; it must be hell to watch from the inside. Your only (somewhat) local journalist covering UNI athletics is the Gazette’s Cole Bair. He’s certainly talented enough. Enjoy him while you can.

I suspect that sports news will be moving more toward sites like this, either officially by those running the site or just by some of us who provide analysis. For instance, the best news and analysis of wrestling meets that I read is already just the work of serious fans on fan sites.

Comment

I'd be all for the Walters model. Let whoever basically run all of the broadcasting and social media presence as well as be the 'face' of the department but I have a tough time thinking UNI and Learfield are willing to kick in a 6 figure salary to make that happen.

I don't know all of Walters' role for Iowa State, but I see him up in the media box doing something for gymnastics meets. Maybe he is a big gymnastics fan. Regardless, it makes me think he has a lot of other responsibilities beyond basketball and football broadcasting.

Comment

• Originally posted by English77 View Post
                            The Courier is doing what dying organizations do: after trimming all the fat, start trimming bone and muscle. It’s difficult to watch from the outside; it must be hell to watch from the inside. Your only (somewhat) local journalist covering UNI athletics is the Gazette’s Cole Bair. He’s certainly talented enough. Enjoy him while you can.
                            The Courier has a sports editor splitting his time between it and the Mason City Globe Gazette.

The Courier is a dead man walking at this point. Without the obits, their subscriptions numbers would dry up.

Cole is great for UNI.
                            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• If you’ll indulge me, Rima is something UNI has done very right.

I came to UNI in 1997, and I don’t think I’d seen 10 minutes of UNI football or basketball. I didn’t expect to give a ****. That winter, I went to work at KOEL-FM, which was the UNI flagship. Very quickly, I was “producing” (if you could call it that) UNI basketball and football games. I don’t have even a rough count, but we’re probably talking 75-80 or more basketball games, and a few dozen football games. I spent really a lot of time with Rima, and he gave me a job working for him one summer when he was running the Bucks.

Athletics is pure marketing and community engagement, at this level. These were the Sam Waever, Mike Dunbar years, so there wasn’t a lot of either going on at the time, especially in winter; we had basketball games where you could hear conversations in the crowd. Rima always knew what he was there for, though, and I became a UNI fan in significant part because of all those afternoons and nights in the Blacks Building, trying to stay out of his way. He’s been a hell of a salesman for UNI.

I can’t imagine he much remembers, as it’s been 20+ years, and comparatively, he was just getting started. He’s always done a good job giving young broadcasters opportunities, and I liked working with him. UNI has a hell of a job ahead of it finding another salesman to take on that roll.

Comment

• Ironic that Cole found it difficult to work for Gary. That’s not all that meaningful, I guess—just a point of interest. Gary had a great sign-off tonight on KXEL. Happy retirement to a stellar play-by-play broadcaster.

Comment

Working...
                                X