WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD disarray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    We've hired a 22 year old kid that graduated in December to run all McLeod Center Operations and manage all outdoor facilities (soccer, track, tennis, softball).

https://unipanthers.com/news/2022/3/...ordinator.aspx
    Will he be able to make sure the light stay on during state football?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
      Will he be able to make sure the light stay on during state football?
      no, because football is played in the Dome, not in the McLeod Center or outdoors.

Comment

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
        $750K donation from Martin Bros to Cedar Falls High School for their athletic center.

The local high school that is building literally hundreds of yards away from the Dome is out-fundraising UNI and our AD.
        the local high school has a higher percentage of local students then UNI does. So perhaps Martin Bros felt it was more in line with their customer base to donate to the high school project than the college.

Comment

• Is John Leo a guy they would maybe consider to replace Rima? Gary was his mentor (he worked for him with OPR), and he's been calling games on the student network for Iowa. I'm not advocating for him necessarily, but just a name to throw out there for discussion.

Comment

• I have no idea how good John Leo is or isn’t at his job, but something I want in a new radio guy is someone who places UNI as second to none. It seemed clear from his days on OPR that John was a Hawkeye.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
              I have no idea how good John Leo is or isn’t at his job, but something I want in a new radio guy is someone who places UNI as second to none. It seemed clear from his days on OPR that John was a Hawkeye.
              Definitely a reasonable take, and I agree. Only counter argument to be made would be that Admire for Drake wasn't a Drake alum or anything, and he's been excellent for them. Although I'm not sure he necessarily had any allegiances before.

Comment

• Admire is absolutely horrific at play by play. Makes Gary Dolphin sound like Kevin Harlan.

Leo isn't a UNI guy, per se, but you can tell he's listened to hours and hours of Rima tapes. His play by play is very good, especially for a 23 year old kid.

I've got this awful feeling it's going to be Kleinhans. He's perfect for the job he's got.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  Admire is absolutely horrific at play by play. Makes Gary Dolphin sound like Kevin Harlan.

Leo isn't a UNI guy, per se, but you can tell he's listened to hours and hours of Rima tapes. His play by play is very good, especially for a 23 year old kid.

I've got this awful feeling it's going to be Kleinhans. He's perfect for the job he's got.
                  Obviously I haven't listened to his play by play, but he's been an excellent fit with what he's done for the program with social media and what he's done working with their AD to grow the program. I thought Leo sounds very good too, and he's done with the student broadcasting gig now. Ya I don't like how he calls a game...plus then ya gotta find someone else to call the women's sports, that would seem stupid to fill one job so you then have to fill another one, but I wouldn't put it past our athletics department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
                    I have no idea how good John Leo is or isn’t at his job, but something I want in a new radio guy is someone who places UNI as second to none. It seemed clear from his days on OPR that John was a Hawkeye.
                    I get it but KB was a Hawkeye and now you can barely find anyone who is more of a UNI guy than KB.
                    "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

• The Leo connection makes sense. He’s young and quite talented. Not a “UNI” guy But he is a NE Iowa guy and knows the Panthers. Attended games regularly on off days in his schedule. I’d be shocked if Rima hasn’t put in a good word.
                      Last edited by edgecat; 03-15-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• I would definitely be on board with John Leo. If you listen to his highlight reel, you can definitely hear the Rima influence. And he does a really great job of letting you know where the ball is in your mind's eye. That's a rare gift.

https://soundcloud.com/john-leo-4896...social_sharing

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                          I would definitely be on board with John Leo. If you listen to his highlight reel, you can definitely hear the Rima influence. And he does a really great job of letting you know where the ball is in your mind's eye. That's a rare gift.

https://soundcloud.com/john-leo-4896...social_sharing
                          Thanks for sharing the link. Yeah, you can hear the Rima influence.
                          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Sounds good to me too.

Comment

• I like what I hear out of John Leo, and while he is Iowa first, was Gary UNI first when he got the job, I know that he had owned a bar, been an assistant baseball coach under Heller at Upper Iowa, and did play by play for Oelwein.

Comment

• John Leo definitely has the Rima-growl down, doesn't he?

We got Rima by happy accident; KOEL deciding to stand up a UNI-network never made sense to me, and I worked there for a long time (and a long time ago.) Gary grew into it, and John certainly seems to have the raw foundation to do the same, if he's interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X