WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD disarray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, this thread turned into an excuse filled garbage fire instead of actually looking at the problem.

Our last 5-6 season we averaged 13,242.

An empty Dome sucks no matter well the people inside are doing at making noise.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I'm not suggesting that's the right move.

But pointing out we live in that weird in-between world where we play a very high level of competition...but most fans don't understand it.

When Iowa State brings OU into town, their fans are pumped for the match up.

We don't get the same type of lift for playing top notch opponents...not even NDSU.

And if we lose the fan interest drops off much faster at the FCS level.

As the MVFC has gotten better...and it absolutely has...it makes it harder to win a lot and harder to sustain fan interest.
      The Valley started to get really good when WKU came in the late 90s and has been the best league consistently in the country since the mid-00s. There wasn't some switch that flipped in 2016 where people decided we didn't win enough.

​​​​​​
      #MACtion

Comment

• We hired a marketing AD. Fingers crossed

Comment

• She's got a big task ahead of her. Let's hope she's great!
          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
            We hired a marketing AD. Fingers crossed
            Details??…article??

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post

Details??…article??
              #MACtion

Comment

• So, beat them in football on Saturday, hire away a marketing person on Monday .... I like it.

(on edit - just saw it was SIU-Edwardsville).

Nevertheless, HUZZAH!
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Does anyone know what the average attendance is for some of our MVFC peers this season. I've got our at about ~7,300, not counting St. Thomas (listed as '0' by the AD).

Comment

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                    Does anyone know what the average attendance is for some of our MVFC peers this season. I've got our at about ~7,300, not counting St. Thomas (listed as '0' by the AD).
                    St Thomas was 6602 if that helps.

#MACtion

Comment

Does anyone know what the average attendance is for some of our MVFC peers this season. I've got our at about ~7,300, not counting St. Thomas (listed as '0' by the AD).
                      Yeah, this as good a way to procrastinate as any. So on average:

NDSU: 15,894 through 4
                      SDSU: 14,685 through 4
                      MSU: 11,673 through 4
                      YSU: 11,063 through 4
                      UND: 10,598 through 3
                      ISUr: 10,282 through 3/2 (they don't have attendance for the game against MSU listed, and one of their games was homecoming + NDSU, so take with a grain of salt)
                      SIU: 8,866 through 3
                      UNI: 7,300 through 4/3 (not counting Tommies)
                      USD: 5,558 through 4
                      ISUb: 5,403 through 4
                      WIU: 3,609 through 4

Not great to look at, but nothing here is too unsurprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

Yeah, this as good a way to procrastinate as any. So on average:

NDSU: 15,894 through 4
                        SDSU: 14,685 through 4
                        MSU: 11,673 through 4
                        YSU: 11,063 through 4
                        UND: 10,598 through 3
                        ISUr: 10,282 through 3/2 (they don't have attendance for the game against MSU listed, and one of their games was homecoming + NDSU, so take with a grain of salt)
                        SIU: 8,866 through 3
                        UNI: 7,300 through 4/3 (not counting Tommies)
                        USD: 5,558 through 4
                        ISUb: 5,403 through 4
                        WIU: 3,609 through 4

Not great to look at, but nothing here is too unsurprising.
                        Indiana St - < $20 (5,404)
                        Western Illinois - < $20 (3,609)
                        Youngstown St - $20 (11,064)
                        Southern Illinois - $20 (8,867)
                        Missouri St - $29 (11,673)
                        South Dakota - $31 (5,558)
                        Illinois St - $38 (10,282)
                        North Dakota - $30 (10,599)
                        South Dakota St - $35-40 (14,674)
                        Northern Iowa - $42-50 (7,292)
                        North Dakota St - $45-55 (15,750)

Looks like we both decided to procrastinate. I tried my best to find avg. ticket prices for comparison

Comment

Indiana St - < $20 (5,404)
                          Western Illinois - < $20 (3,609)
                          Youngstown St - $20 (11,064)
                          Southern Illinois - $20 (8,867)
                          Missouri St - $29 (11,673)
                          South Dakota - $31 (5,558)
                          Illinois St - $38 (10,282)
                          North Dakota - $30 (10,599)
                          South Dakota St - $35-40 (14,674)
                          Northern Iowa - $42-50 (7,292)
                          North Dakota St - $45-55 (15,750)

Looks like we both decided to procrastinate. I tried my best to find avg. ticket prices for comparison
                          Quick math - and it's not great because average attendance includes students, season tickets, promos, etc. It also includes things like required PSLs (which ad NDSU run up to 3,000 per seat). Because of that I'm going to nerf the ticket price by 35% to try to account for that. Yes, that's a completely arbitrary number if you have a better guess feel free.

but

basic math tells us this is the ticket revenue each school brings in per game
                          NDSU $563,063
                          SDSU $333,834
                          ISUR $253,965
                          MSU $220,036
                          UNI $213,291
                          UND $206,681
                          YSU $143,832
                          SIU $115,271
                          USD $111,994
                          ISUB $63,227
                          WIU $42,225
                          The kicker of that is, UNI is middle of the road but we are told we can't afford buy games and this is with the worst attendance in deacdes.

But WIU, ISUb, USD, SIU, YSU, MSU and UND all can.somehow

The cost of a buy game compared to the ticket sales alone is nearly 100% offset. Now add in concessions, parking, additional sponsorships, etc. and take away the cost of flying the program 2 time zones across the country and holy **** the idea we can't afford buy games starts to go away pretty damn quick doesn't it?
                          Last edited by clenz; 11-02-2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• I like this part:
                            "As an undergrad, she was a member of the Greenville University softball team for four seasons, helping the Panthers to three appearances in the NCAA Division III Tournament."

Comment

• I wish I knew the answer…but the attendance is lacking…we are all aware of that. If I could wave a magic wand and fill the dome every home game I would. I feel a full dome would help win some games because a big crowd helps the team. Kids like to play in front of big crowds. I’ll keep going to games and yell as loud as I can. Go Panthers!

Comment

• Originally posted by pnthr53 View Post
                                I wish I knew the answer…but the attendance is lacking…we are all aware of that. If I could wave a magic wand and fill the dome every home game I would. I feel a full dome would help win some games because a big crowd helps the team. Kids like to play in front of big crowds. I’ll keep going to games and yell as loud as I can. Go Panthers!
                                There is no one good answer, unfortunately. There's a bunch of good answers, but to be honest, I'm not sure if any combination of them would work as things stand right now. Best thing would be win a 'ship this year, heavy marketing, lowering ticket prices, and then get off to an unbeaten start next year. And I'm still not sure if that produces a sell-out at all. I genuinely don't. Don't get me wrong, those are all things that should happen regardless, but I don't know if they'd have the dramatic effect we want.

Comment

Working...
                                X