WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2- at Sacramento State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post

Welcome to the board fellow Tommie. UST class of 1994 here. Also a UNI alum, MAE. This has been a long time coming as they were talking about eventually going D-I even back when I was in school. Will be fun to see the Tommies again in person as I haven't been to a game since I was a student, have enjoyed catching a few of their playoff runs a few years ago on TV and streaming. I'm looking forward to a return game on campus in a few years, though campus has undergone some major renovations in the last 25 years.
    Saturday is my birthday so I'm heavily shifting my expectations for what "fun St Thomas games" look like from the last several years to not ruin my day. It's going to be a rough transition from expecting to win almost every game and make an annual playoff run to... watching for Tommie Pride and Passion, some promising plays, and maybe a couple of points on the board (while allowing under 50 please??).

Campus looks significantly different from when I was a student as well, and I expect more as we evaluate what facilities need to be upgraded to compete at the D1 level. Nothing rushed or drastic as it'll take some work to pack the current facilities for most games now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

North Dakota was an overfunded D2 with a full compliment of scholarship players.

This ain't that.
      You're right about that.

I'm in a unique position having watched UND football for 30+ years save for the 4 I attended and played at UST.

UST is mixing and matching 5th year seniors who were recruited specifically to play D3 ball, true freshmen, and a few transfers in their 2-deep. Of the players seeing significant playing time on Saturday, I imagine only a handful of them could be classified as MVFC caliber and they are predominantly true freshmen.

I've seen spreads range from 57 on the high end to 40.5 on the low end, and I think a score around 42 to 7 would be commendable and 35 to 14 would have me smiling (not big on moral victories at UST, but everyone is fully aware of the situation we're in).

That said, I firmly believe UST will give UNI a better game than expected and will play with infinitely more pride than what I saw Valpo play NDSU with last Saturday. Having watched a lot of Pioneer League sacrificial lambs to the Big Sky and MVFC in the last decade, I can confidently say there has never been a Pioneer League team that I've seen that I thought was much more talented than any D3 squad UST has put on the field since Caruso took over, with the exception of a few San Diego teams. Speaking of Caruso, he's quite familiar with the level of competition he's taking on having coached at South Dakota and NDSU (albeit when they were D2), but make no mistake, his expectations will still be sky high, so UST will compete hard for the full 60 minutes.

I expect a lot of misdirection on offense to try to make some things happen (much like UND tried with Utah State last weekend), a very balanced approach, and a steady dose of Loeffler. Unfortunately for UST, it looked like Michigan Tech (a middling D2 team) was able to get a ton of push up front, so it'll likely be a long day for Loeffler. Loeffler is a great athlete but this year his first at RB1 after having a full year off and playing behind a transfer from Minnesota. If UST can get him in space, he can do some special things, I just don't know if he can do them against the speed of UNI.

Heart:

UNI 42
      UST 10

Head:

UNI 49
      UST 3

Comment

• Originally posted by Logicfan View Post

I'm old enough to remember UNI losing to D2 North Dakota at home.
        I'm ban basketball, look at me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Logicfan View Post
          I'm old enough to remember UNI losing to D2 North Dakota at home.
          Wasn't that 2006, and also the game where they did a ceremony to "unveil" a banner commemorating their trip to the championship game....
          and they messed that up as well, almost dropping the banner?

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            Wasn't that 2006, and also the game where they did a ceremony to "unveil" a banner commemorating their trip to the championship game....
            and they messed that up as well, almost dropping the banner?
            IIRC there was no "almost" about it haha.

Comment

• Logicfan, I was at the North Dakota game… a low point for Panther football. That was the game they rolled out the
              2005 National Championship Game Banner. I remember the ropes holding the banner broke and the banner ended up on the floor. Embarrassing… much like the Panthers play that day.

Comment

• North Dakota had a small WR who played in the CFL for years who busted several big plays in that game. He was one fast human being.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                  North Dakota had a small WR who played in the CFL
                  makes sense, since UND is only an hours drive away from Canada

Comment

North Dakota had a small WR who played in the CFL for years who busted several big plays in that game. He was one fast human being.
                    Weston Dressler from Bismarck. Over 10,000 yards in the CFL and 61 career TDs. Played for Saskatchewan for 8 years and 3 years for Winnipeg. Secured his temporary release in 2014 to try out for the Kansas City Chiefs but didn't make the final 53. Kid could burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      makes sense, since UND is only an hours drive away from Canada
                      I'm not sure that's the criteria the CFL uses to pick up players from the states.
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamtod View Post

I think the return trip is in 2024 (September 7th). Hopefully by that point, we'll be settled into the FCS world and near the top of the Pioneer League, with sights set on the next steps 5-10 years in to the transition.

(also wth am I doing wrong here, it won't let me post without a link, always saying "please enter a valid URL" as if the http:// part of the link won't go away)
                        Yup. My error (or perhaps I was just hopeful).

UNI news ...

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Thanks. And welcome to the board and D-I ball.

I am in the Twin Cities and used to drive past the St. Thomas campus and stadium on my commute to work. Looking forward to seeing them host the Panthers there next year - should be a sizable UNI group as so many of alum are in the Twin Cities.
                          Oh heck yes! I forgot this was a H&H. Can't wait to see the Panthers in the Twin Cities. There will definitely be a large crowd of purple next year

Edit: Welp...jumped the gun on that one. See you all in 2024 up here
                          Last edited by panther-state; 09-16-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure that's the criteria the CFL uses to pick up players from the states.
                            The North Dakota thing is irrelevant, since proximity to Canada has zero to do with it. It’s all about having the talent to make the roster, and fitting a more wide open style of play with a larger field and three downs. I think each team has to have a certain number of Canadian native players. I vaguely remember some UNI players on Canadian rosters in the late 80s, but could be wrong.

I don’t follow the CFL, or claim to be an expert, and some of the above could’ve changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post

Oh heck yes! I forgot this was a H&H. Can't wait to see the Panthers in the Twin Cities. There will definitely be a large crowd of purple next year

Edit: Welp...jumped the gun on that one. See you all in 2024 up here
                              Planning to move to the Twin Cities next summer if all goes according to plan - I will definitely be there as well!
                              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                              - George Halas

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

The North Dakota thing is irrelevant, since proximity to Canada has zero to do with it. It’s all about having the talent to make the roster, and fitting a more wide open style of play with a larger field and three downs. I think each team has to have a certain number of Canadian native players. I vaguely remember some UNI players on Canadian rosters in the late 80s, but could be wrong.

I don’t follow the CFL, or claim to be an expert, and some of the above could’ve changed.
                                UNI had a kicker brian (cant remember his last name) that had a very good carrer in the cfl

Comment

Working...
                                X