WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Redshirt Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post

He is healthy

He has appeared in two games as a reserve/ST (Iowa State and Kent State)

He has 1 assisted tackle

But running out of the tunnel at Kinnick is cool.

Probably WAY more cool than being an All American again at UNI and putting numbers up that would get you drafted/into the NFL.
    I’d think Iowa’s scheme may be bad fit for him too. Iowa plays a lot of shell type zone coverages where bring manned up on someone may not be common. They also had a bunch of DBs returning from a very good defense the year before. Some may not be NFL prospects, but are very smart players who fit their scheme perfectly. The two Des Moines area guys, Moss and Koerner, typify this.

I had heard/read a rumor that he was close to signing with Oklahoma State (I think). If true, with no other issues, he should’ve gone there. He could’ve shown his ability against some quality skill players, with potentially a better shot at starting.

Comment

Updated as of Youngstown State game:
      - 8 players used up their 4th game and will lose their ability to redshirt by playing a single snap this week against NDSU - Dom Williams, Jevon Brekke, Deion McShane, Benny Sappy, Eric Mooney, Quan Hampton, Omar Brown, and Matthew Cook. There are all starters/significant players so none of these are shocking. They will all lose it this weekend unless there is an injury in practice that ends their season.

-Demarcus Governor is at 3 games. I have no idea how the situation will be handled. UST and YSU he seemed to be a reserve/late game player, but he played against Iowa State. I'll be honest, I haven't looked for him during games to see how/where he's being used. I guess maybe this week would be a good indication.

-Nick McCabe is the only player with 2 or fewer appearances that I'm mildly confused by. The rest are very clearly reserves that will play at the end of a blowout. I'm not sure if he got hurt or Flater being healthy enough to play as the second-string guy behind Van Whye and a rotation of Flater and Van Whye taking his snaps away. I'm guessing that is what it is
      Last edited by clenz; 10-08-2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I went and checked on Xavior and Chris just to see

Xavior didn't appear in the murdering of Maryland. So he is either so far down the depth chart that he didn't even travel or he traveled and still wasn't able to get into that game. Neither of those situations is what I would consider "good" and the sign of a "smart move" from the football side of things. Again, he felt he needed to move on so he did. So be it, but that's rough. Outside of a blowout happening in Iowa City where he can get mop-up duty I don't think he ever plays another snap of college football and any chance of NFL/CFL is gone. He has to hope the XFL comes back with The Rock in charge or some arena league picks up him.

Chris is still getting special teams and some rotational work it looks like. He has played in all 6 games, 8 solo and 10 assisted tackles. No sacks, TFL, PBU, INT, FF, FR, any other stat.

Comment

Please get the name right for one of our better defensive players. It's Flater, not Flatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
            Please get the name right for one of our better defensive players. It's Flater, not Flatter.
            goes along with "Benny Sappy"

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

goes along with "Benny Sappy"
              Carry that same energy to the UNI broadcasts which leave III off more than they say it you dimwitted ****

Comment

Couldn't agree anymore with "the grass is greener" scenario....Stay at UNI, get on the field, put your play on film and take your chance at the NFL. Transferring somewhere isn't always the answer, especially if you are an established player. The NFL scouts know how to get to Cedar Falls. At the end of the day, getting on the field and putting yourself on film is the most important thing.
                There are 97 current FCS players on active 53 man rosters (doesn't include practice squad)
                It makes more sense to transfer down and play (Day, Sapp, Williams, Frazier, Hampton)...I'll take those guys any day!
                "Give a cheer Ho, the purple and the gold!!"

Comment

Carry that same energy to the UNI broadcasts which leave III off more than they say it you dimwitted ****
                  I suppose we could ask Mr. Sapp if he minds if people just refer to him as "Benny Sapp" without including the "III"
                  or if he minds if people call him "Benny Sappy".

Was there a big emphasis on calling his dad "Benny Sapp II"? Or did people just call him "Benny Sapp" as well?

Comment

I went and checked on Xavior and Chris just to see

Xavior didn't appear in the murdering of Maryland. So he is either so far down the depth chart that he didn't even travel or he traveled and still wasn't able to get into that game. Neither of those situations is what I would consider "good" and the sign of a "smart move" from the football side of things. Again, he felt he needed to move on so he did. So be it, but that's rough. Outside of a blowout happening in Iowa City where he can get mop-up duty I don't think he ever plays another snap of college football and any chance of NFL/CFL is gone. He has to hope the XFL comes back with The Rock in charge or some arena league picks up him.

Chris is still getting special teams and some rotational work it looks like. He has played in all 6 games, 8 solo and 10 assisted tackles. No sacks, TFL, PBU, INT, FF, FR, any other stat.
                    xavior has a redshirt right? Almost seems like that's the plan but who knows. Odd.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

xavior has a redshirt right? Almost seems like that's the plan but who knows. Odd.
                      Nope. Redshirted in 2016.

He's done.
                      #MACtion

Comment

What about because of COVID. Does he get another year?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
                          What about because of COVID. Does he get another year?
                          Nope. This is his 6th year. He's done.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Nope. Redshirted in 2016.

He's done.
                            Ah thanks.. super odd

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post
                              Couldn't agree anymore with "the grass is greener" scenario....Stay at UNI, get on the field, put your play on film and take your chance at the NFL. Transferring somewhere isn't always the answer, especially if you are an established player. The NFL scouts know how to get to Cedar Falls. At the end of the day, getting on the field and putting yourself on film is the most important thing.
                              There are 97 current FCS players on active 53 man rosters (doesn't include practice squad)
                              It makes more sense to transfer down and play (Day, Sapp, Williams, Frazier, Hampton)...I'll take those guys any day!
                              Makinton Dorleant is a good example of a guy who transferred down, played really well, and had a few years on NFL rosters. That some nice money.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post
                                Agree. You have to be on the field to have a chance at the league. And the more the better.

Like you said...the NFL knows where UNI is. You don't need to go anywhere else to get drafted.

Spencer Brown made a great call by not transferring and he's now starting for the Bills early in his rookie year.

Transferring helps the P5 school u land at but doesn't necessarily help the kid.
                                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                                X