WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game IV:Youngstown State(Homecoming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
    I doubt we would have seen those sort of numbers on a regular basis even w/o covid. but I guess we'll never know
    We won't because I don't think the virus will be cured. True, we'll be able to control it, but life will now have to adjust. That's even without the heated political debates.

Comment

[QUOTE=BrockLesnar;n710780]

We won't because I don't think the virus will be cured. True, we'll be able to control it, but life will now have to adjust. That's even without the heated political debate. It might be cliche to say never say never, but I don't think it will matter which side of the discussion you're on./QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

We won't because I don't think the virus will be cured. True, we'll be able to control it, but life will now have to adjust. That's even without the heated political debates.
        Check the attendance trend before covid.

COVID didn't impact attendance, and it isn't really impacting attendance at any sporting event, or any event, at this point.

Homecoming being below 10k - even more so 9k - is pretty damning in a number of ways. Especially when the football team is a legit top 10 caliber team.
        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm going to quote BC from another thread about issues within the athletic department

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          Phenomenal win yesterday but that doesn't cover up the underlying issues.

Homecoming Attendance Last 10 Years:

2012: 13,067
          2013: 16,423
          2014: 15,227
          2015: 16,324
          ​​​​​
          2016: 13,710
          2017: 12,642
          2018: 12,013
          2019: 10,201
          2021: 8771

I'll again remind you that David Harris was hired prior to the 2016 season. 17, 18, 19 were all playoff teams.
          On top of that

2012: 13,067: the team was 1-5 going into homecoming and the one win was a winless D2 program
          2013: 16,423: the team missed the playoffs
          2014: 15,227: the earliest HC I can imagine. It was Sept 20th and the team was 0-2 and haven't been in the playoffs in 2 years and the last playoff game was a 40 point beating to Montana
          2015: 16,324: the team was 2-3 going into homecoming week

2 sell outs and 1 at 90+% capacity with teams that were significantly under .500 and playoff-less meanwhile can't crack 9k with a top 10 team.
          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Check the attendance trend before covid.

COVID didn't impact attendance, and it isn't really impacting attendance at any sporting event, or any event, at this point.

Homecoming being below 10k - even more so 9k - is pretty damning in a number of ways. Especially when the football team is a legit top 10 caliber team.
            I have a dual theory on the attendance problems. Both of these happened independently and simultaneously, and are hitting UNI with a one two punch:

1). Like you say, attendance was dropping pre-Covid. My take is this is largely due to growing fan apathy. Mismanagement of the QB situation, lackluster play, etc. This years’ team provides hope, but it’s early and the offense is just starting to show life.

2). Matt Campbell resurrects Iowa State football from the dead, and suddenly all the casual, dormant, or even previously non-existent fans are all in on all things Iowa State. Going to ISU games, tailgating, fired up on social media, etc. Some of these are UNI alumni and people who would otherwise root for UNI and attend a few games. I don’t know about the Cedar Valley, but I’ve definitely witnessed this in central Iowa, including some people I went to college with.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I have a dual theory on the attendance problems. Both of these happened independently and simultaneously, and are hitting UNI with a one two punch:

1). Like you say, attendance was dropping pre-Covid. My take is this is largely due to growing fan apathy. Mismanagement of the QB situation, lackluster play, etc. This years’ team provides hope, but it’s early and the offense is just starting to show life.

2). Matt Campbell resurrects Iowa State football from the dead, and suddenly all the casual, dormant, or even previously non-existent fans are all in on all things Iowa State. Going to ISU games, tailgating, fired up on social media, etc. Some of these are UNI alumni and people who would otherwise root for UNI and attend a few games. I don’t know about the Cedar Valley, but I’ve definitely witnessed this in central Iowa, including some people I went to college with.
              There are like 5 Iowa State fans in Eastern Iowa.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

2015 was the best season for Iowa in 30 years and our smallest crowd was 10,422 with a sellout and 2 other crowds over 13,000.

It's time to stop making excuses about all these outside things and point the finger at the obvious cause of the problem.
                #MACtion

Comment

I went to more games at Jack Trice after graduation (2) than UNI Dome (1). Granted I was living in DSM and those games were ISU-UNI, but I haven't really considered a return for a game when it's $50/seat.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Those are good points. I find it frustrating that we have a decent chance to win the MVCFC and even the FCS National Title, but without fan support. Yeah, many fans are turned off by high ticket prices. Too high a price versus fan perception of what the games value would be can lead to the poor level of volume of attendance.

Comment

would be interesting to look at a comparison of ticket price ranges amongst the FCS top 25 programs to see how UNI's prices compared.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                        I went to more games at Jack Trice after graduation (2) than UNI Dome (1). Granted I was living in DSM and those games were ISU-UNI, but I haven't really considered a return for a game when it's $50/seat.
                        You can get a 3 game pack for $77.

It's not $50 to see a UNI game.

Let's keep it real.
                        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          It's time to stop making excuses about all these outside things and point the finger at the obvious cause of the problem.
                          OK, what do you think is the real cause of the problem?

I'm not criticizing, just asking...

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

OK, what do you think is the real cause of the problem?

I'm not criticizing, just asking...
                            Awful marketing, poor fan engagement, inconsistent gameday experience, lack of social media engagement, we no longer reach out to youth programs, ticket pricing, cleanliness of the dome/facilities.

That's just off the top of my head. It all starts at the top and he's been in over his head from the minute he walked through the door.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Let's keep it real.
                              So, if I want to go to one game, I should buy 3 games and spend even more money?

I want to take my family of four to a game. I choose seats in Section S at around the 20 yard line, so good seats but not great seats, my bill with fees is $187. That's outrageous at UNI and I say that as someone who spends way too much on UNI Athletics on an annual basis.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Let's keep it real.
                                Real?

a family wants something to do for the weekend and they look into going to a UNI game. The ticket prices are insane and they decide on something else.

That’s reality. Not everybody gets their slide rule out in July to see if they can patchwork 3 weekends that work. I don’t think a $308 bill for a family of four to go to 3 UNI games is any value at all.

When you ticket prices cost the same or more than some Iowa Football Home games, you got a problem.

butts it seats is embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                                X