WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDSU/UNI Rivalry week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
    how is this NDSU/UNI RIVALRY not protected by the MVFC. that's ridiculous that we won't play until 2025!!!
    I'm guessing it's because there are no protected rivalries in the MVFC. If I had to guess, that would be the reason.
    #MACtion

Comment

Genuinely asking, is it even considered a rivalry? It's been incredibly one-sided, we're in different actual conferences, so we don't see each other any other time (save for wrestling, which is even more one-sided than football has been, but in our favor, which is nice), there's not that much geographical close-ness, at least in comparison to other teams. If I'm NDSU, SDSU and UND are our rivals, and as a Panther fan, I consider SIU and ISU to be our biggest football rivals, maybe the older folks consider Missouri State to be like that, with Drake being our all sport rival.

Like, yeah, I hate NDSU, but that's because they beat us all the time, not for the fun, dumb, arbitrary reasons that you hate a rival for. And I'm not even sure why an NDSU fan would hate us. Hell with how much we've beat SDSU relative to NDSU, you could argue we've helped NDSU far more than we've hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years

Is that the job of a mod, especially on an apparent "fan" site?

If you know who I am and how to find me, why not just keep it between us and you can come hunt me down? Sound good, mod?

If not, have at it.
        I told you a long time ago that you're not Anonymous since you registered with your personal email address. I'm not going to out you and why would I give a s*** about hunting you down?
        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
          Genuinely asking, is it even considered a rivalry? It's been incredibly one-sided, we're in different actual conferences, so we don't see each other any other time (save for wrestling, which is even more one-sided than football has been, but in our favor, which is nice), there's not that much geographical close-ness, at least in comparison to other teams. If I'm NDSU, SDSU and UND are our rivals, and as a Panther fan, I consider SIU and ISU to be our biggest football rivals, maybe the older folks consider Missouri State to be like that, with Drake being our all sport rival.

Like, yeah, I hate NDSU, but that's because they beat us all the time, not for the fun, dumb, arbitrary reasons that you hate a rival for. And I'm not even sure why an NDSU fan would hate us. Hell with how much we've beat SDSU relative to NDSU, you could argue we've helped NDSU far more than we've hurt them.
          Between '34 and '78, both schools were also in the old NCC ... lots of history between these two football teams. NDSU joining the MVFC renewed the series.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Between '34 and '78, both schools were also in the old NCC ... lots of history between these two football teams. NDSU joining the MVFC renewed the series.
            Okay, but that was a looooong time ago. Getting back at it after 30 years of dormancy doesn't make it a rivalry, just because it used to have been one. If Creighton comes back in 2040 and starts whoopin' on us in basketball for a decade straight, I ain't gonna call that a rivalry. Frankly I'll just be happy that UNI still has a school/athletics program in 2040.

Comment

NDSU vs UNI is still a football rivalry. It doesn’t matter that the results have been lopsided. Ohio State has won eight in a row vs Michigan, and the fans and national media definitely think that’s a rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                I'm guessing it's because there are no protected rivalries in the MVFC. If I had to guess, that would be the reason.
                Have there been years (since the two schools joined the conference) where NDSU and SDSU weren't scheduled to play each other?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                  Have there been years (since the two schools joined the conference) where NDSU and SDSU weren't scheduled to play each other?
                  No, but there wasn't with UNI and NDSU or SDSU or USD etc. either

It had **** fall to do with "protecting the game" and everything to do with the rotation that has been a thing for a decade now. It took 12 years for NDSU/UNI to rotate off. It will take at least 14, if not 16 or 18 for SDSU/UNI to be rotated off. It has nothing to do with protecting any rivalry and just a basic 'Oh, right...everyone is rotating everyone but we can't rotate everyone at the same time"

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                    No, but there wasn't with UNI and NDSU or SDSU or USD etc. either

It had **** fall to do with "protecting the game" and everything to do with the rotation that has been a thing for a decade now. It took 12 years for NDSU/UNI to rotate off. It will take at least 14, if not 16 or 18 for SDSU/UNI to be rotated off. It has nothing to do with protecting any rivalry and just a basic 'Oh, right...everyone is rotating everyone but we can't rotate everyone at the same time"
                    I disagree. While there may not necessarily be a TOTALLY "protected" rivalry (that remains to be seen), I'm convinced that the league intentionally chose to delay certain matchups from being part of the "not played" rotation for as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      I disagree. While there may not necessarily be a TOTALLY "protected" rivalry (that remains to be seen), I'm convinced that the league intentionally chose to delay certain matchups from being part of the "not played" rotation for as long as possible.
                      If they are protecting games based on rivalry they did a **** job with anyone UNI actually considers a rival.

A super **** job too if NDSU rolls off UNI already. NDSU rolls off UNI before USD and SDSU. Those must be MUCH bigger rivals than NDSU.

The rotation was set in 2011/2012 leading up to USD being added and has had to be altered based on who has already skipped when UND being added in 2020

2011 was not a "must protect UNI and the Dakota schools" by any stretch, especially USD.

You're grabbing at straws that don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                        NDSU vs UNI is still a football rivalry. It doesn’t matter that the results have been lopsided. Ohio State has won eight in a row vs Michigan, and the fans and national media definitely think that’s a rivalry.
                        Yeah but OSU and Michigan have a much much much much more storied history than NDSU/UNI lol, come on man. We've one time in the past 10 years, and we've only played them 13 times in the past 43 years. They're just not rivals. Don't get me wrong, I still don't like them. But I don't like them for good reasons, "I hate NDSU because they always win," or "I hate NDSU because they represent North Dakota, which is just a cold version of Saudi Arabia." Normal stuff. Compare that with the Saluki Dogs. Like, I am stoked that SIU is good again, because I'm ready to hate them full on, just for existing, no caveats. Was getting tired of winning 30-3 against them. Now we get to ruin their season, and that's much more fun.

And I'm stoked to not have to play NDSU for a while coming up. It's gonna give us a better chance of winning the conference.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1445462890106875910?s=20

the FIGHT in 2009 helped spark it plus recruiting twin cities players & UNI bring the big dog in MVFC before NDSU showed up. the fans NDSU brings to UNI are the most of any of your opponents.
                          UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

You guys travel well everywhere, though. You probably outnumber Western Illinois fans at the NDSU @ WIU games.

Comment

who the Fook is this guy? ^^^

take some xanax

It takes something special to get a reaction like this from Lakes!

Comment

how is this NDSU/UNI RIVALRY not protected by the MVFC. that's ridiculous that we won't play until 2025!!!

I hope we continue to play each year . . . in the Playoffs!

Comment

Working...
                                X