WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Portal

Will McElvain is already in it. I know he is not the starter but very disappointing to see mid season.

Can’t blame him for transferring, he is definitely good enough to make an impact someplace. I agree that it is disappointing that this could not wait until after the season is over.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
      Can’t blame him for transferring, he is definitely good enough to make an impact someplace. I agree that it is disappointing that this could not wait until after the season is over.
      Yea, the mid season part of it is the odd thing. But oh well. Next man up

Comment

The writing seemed to be on the wall in looking at his body language when he came in at the end of the St Thomas and Youngstown games.

I get it. I'm thinking he transfers down and has a really nice last couple of years.

The staff seems to like Morrissey so he's the backup now. It'd be nice to get him some game reps but that doesn't look likely for a while here.
        #MACtion

Comment

Do you think he transfers to an FCS school? I think D2 or NAIA seems more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            The writing seemed to be on the wall in looking at his body language when he came in at the end of the St Thomas and Youngstown games.

I get it. I'm thinking he transfers down and has a really nice last couple of years.

The staff seems to like Morrissey so he's the backup now. It'd be nice to get him some game reps but that doesn't look likely for a while here.
            Ill never fault anyone for leaving. Just don't see the point of doing it before the semester ends

Comment

Farley was very complimentary of Will in the presser today. We all know Farley hates to change starting QBs and I'm sure this was not an easy call for him.

Tough spot for Will. Can't imagine investing this much and having it go the way it did. Was thinking about this watching Rattler get pulled in the Texas - OU game. It would be damn hard to handle.

That said...Day has the bigger upside and hard to fault the move. Like Saban moving to Tua over Hurts...painful to watch because the guy losing his job is easy to like, but the right call.

QBs wanna play...and if they aren't gonna play they transfer. It's modern college football.

Wish him nothing but success.

I could see will at another FCS school or even a top end D2 school...like a NW Mo or a Minnesota State.
              Last edited by Blue42; 10-11-2021, 01:07 PM.
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                Ill never fault anyone for leaving. Just don't see the point of doing it before the semester ends
                I actually find this to be good news, because it lessens the chance that Farley decides to switch back to having Will at QB.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                  it lessens the chance
                  Nicely understated.

Wishing Will well.

(As I’m sure we all do.)

Comment

It’s a 100% reflection of our society today. It’s not about the team. It’s about “me”. A qb is the unofficial captain of the team. But he isn’t acting like it here. Given a billion chances, he didn’t get it done on the field. By leaving, he tells future employers when the going gets tough, he bails. Not a good look at all.

Fomby has my 100% support for sticking this out. He looked phenomenal in two games this spring only to see the job go right back to Will. Even with Day coming in, he’s stayed the course. Same with Martens. This is a sign of leadership and good things to come for both of them. If not at UNI but in life.

I will be totally shocked if Will stays in Div 1. I look for him to play NAIA or D2 after this and for good reason. Not only for “fit”, (playing level), but also for “quitting” on his team when things didn’t go his way.

Farley has mismanaged the qb situation since Eric Sanders and results on the field track with that. Here’s to hoping someone has finally got through to him…UNI football under Farley depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                      It’s a 100% reflection of our society today. It’s not about the team. It’s about “me”.
                      Mudfran, you and I so often agree, so I am disappointed to see this terrible take. For one, doing for yourself and doing for the team aren't necessarily exclusive. Players are always driven for personal success; they wouldn't get this far without it. The idea, then, is to pursue personal excellence in a way that benefits the team. I don't like that it is mid-season, but I don't know what the conversations are between Will and Farley. The truth is that very few benched starters ever make it back to the #1 spot. Was Will left with an opportunity to help the team? The only difference between Will and Theo's transfers is that Will actually played before he left. If you can see that Theo made the right decision, you have to at least consider the possibility that Will did too. Fomby never gets mentioned by Farley. He wasn't even in Fargo. You really think his decision to stay on is a good one? You mentioned that Farley has mismanaged the QB position for a long time. Is it not at least possible this is evidence of him still doing so?
                      Last edited by Yupster; 10-12-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Another angle on this...is Will stepping out of the way now to let the other guys compete for the #2 spot.

If he knows he won't be around next season...then he knows the snaps he gets in practice take opportunities from the other 3 competing to be the #2 this year and next.

Maybe u step out of the way and clear a path for the team to invest in a guy...or a couple guys...who are more likely to be in the program past 2021. And to let the guys get a chance to develop.

Could be part of the thought process. Not the first thought...but could be a consideration.

That...plus the thought that the longer I stay here in mop up duty...the more I'm viewed as a 2nd string QB and not a starter. So go now.

No inside knowledge...just conjecture.
                        Last edited by Blue42; 10-12-2021, 12:07 PM.
                        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yupster View Post

Mudfran, you and I so often agree, so I am disappointed to see this terrible take. For one, doing for yourself and doing for the team aren't necessarily exclusive. Players are always driven for personal success; they wouldn't get this far without it. The idea, then, is to pursue personal excellence in a way that benefits the team. I don't like that it is mid-season, but I don't know what the conversations are between Will and Farley. The truth is that very few benched starters ever make it back to the #1 spot. Was Will left with an opportunity to help the team? The only difference between Will and Theo's transfers is that Will actually played before he left. If you can see that Theo made the right decision, you have to at least consider the possibility that Will did too. Fomby never gets mentioned by Farley. He wasn't even in Fargo. You really think his decision to stay on is a good one? You mentioned that Farley has mismanaged the QB position for a long time. Is it not at least possible he still is?
                          First off, you stay at least through the season. He’s one play away from being the starter again on a resurgent team this year. Leaving mid season really is an atrocious and selfish look and not a good trait at all. Period. And whether he would have gotten the job back is irrelevant as it relates to the mid season transfer.

As far as theo transferring, I’m personally not a fan of any of the transfers. But that’s an entirely separate issue.

Fomby not traveling only means he is behind both of them. I admire him more after all of this. Despite being from Georgia, he’s stuck it out and honored his commitment to UNI football and his academic pursuits. If he stays four years (same with Martens), they are the type of individuals that are attractive to employers worth their salt as it shows incredible character…. something the world is severely lacking right now.

And the question as to whether farley has mismanaged the qb position for an awfully long time is clear to everyone. In fact, read this about 10 times slowly and deep think it…if UNI wins the valley and/or gets to the FCS title game this year, he should be fired as it will show just how atrocious the management of this program has been for many years

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I could see will at another FCS school or even a top end D2 school...like a NW Mo or a Minnesota State.
                            He was recruited by Iowa State as a DB ... wonder if he is considering a change in position, if offered. Incredible athlete.
                            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

First off, you stay at least through the season. He’s one play away from being the starter again on a resurgent team this year. Leaving mid season really is an atrocious and selfish look and not a good trait at all. Period. And whether he would have gotten the job back is irrelevant as it relates to the mid season transfer.

As far as theo transferring, I’m personally not a fan of any of the transfers. But that’s an entirely separate issue.
                              Hard to disagree with that. I also don't like the midseason transfer, but Keller put in for a transfer midseason and stayed with the team. I'd like to know what the difference is here. Putting yourself in the portal before signing day likely creates more opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                              X