WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

He was recruited by Iowa State as a DB ... wonder if he is considering a change in position, if offered. Incredible athlete.
    I thought about this too, but is he really that fast? I think about how often he tried to get to an edge as a runner and almost always got caught by a defensive end or linebacker. I don't know if he has been banged up at all, but it just seems odd. I guess I just feel like there has always been this given that he's a tremendous runner and we saw it early on, but I just didn't get that sense in the spring or the beginning of this year.

Comment

I could see him being a safety, you don't have to be a speed demon to play safety just smart with a great ability to read the offense and what they are trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
        I could see him being a safety, you don't have to be a speed demon to play safety just smart with a great ability to read the offense and what they are trying to do.
        Yeah, he's a smart kid, knows the offensive side of the game and is an incredible athlete.

As to speed, there is a difference between being an open field attacker and having to run for your life to avoid hits (and absorbing quite a few in the process).
        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

If he wants to play at a D1 level, a position switch is probably necessary at this point. I see him likely stepping down a level and having a nice college career at a smaller school. He's tough as nails and he will probably find success at a smaller school. Those that are saying this is going to reflect negatively on his future career are nuts. Yeah leaving mid season is a bit odd but it gives him the best shot at finding the best fit for him. If an employer in the future were to say he's a quitter because he sought a better opportunity for himself is just silly.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
            If he wants to play at a D1 level, a position switch is probably necessary at this point. I see him likely stepping down a level and having a nice college career at a smaller school. He's tough as nails and he will probably find success at a smaller school. Those that are saying this is going to reflect negatively on his future career are nuts. Yeah leaving mid season is a bit odd but it gives him the best shot at finding the best fit for him. If an employer in the future were to say he's a quitter because he sought a better opportunity for himself is just silly.
            This is from an article about Virginia Tech football August 3, 2021. The quote from Greg Sankey SEC commissioner is from a tweet in response to a question about the effects of the transfer portal made on July 19, 2021. Goes to show that Will isn't the first one wanting to use the portal.

“We are in the most transformative time in the history of college sports,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey says.

Sankey says over 13,000 student-athletes entered the transfer portal, and over 11,000 still remain in it.

Comment

I would agree on your last point.

There's not a shred of indication in his record that he's any sort of a distraction or attitude problem. Just the opposite...he's been viewed very positively by his teammates and the coaches.

​​​​​​
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

It’s more of a commentary on Fomby and Martens that they have stayed the course through it all. That’s where my primary focus is here when it comes to post-college

Comment

odd how someone who is a fan of a coach that hopped around to all sorts of different schools is opposed to players being able to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                    It’s a 100% reflection of our society today. It’s not about the team. It’s about “me”. A qb is the unofficial captain of the team. But he isn’t acting like it here. Given a billion chances, he didn’t get it done on the field. By leaving, he tells future employers when the going gets tough, he bails. Not a good look at all.
                    I don’t like the in season transfer, but projecting this onto a future career path is ridiculous. No potential employer is going to care, and if they do, Will’s best move is to kindly say eff you and move on to the next interview. Also, you always look out for your own self interest in any professional situation. Always. Unless your name is on the building and you own the company, you’re potentially expendable if things go south.

Good luck to Will wherever he lands.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I don’t like the in season transfer, but projecting this onto a future career path is ridiculous. No potential employer is going to care, and if they do, Will’s best move is to kindly say eff you and move on to the next interview. Also, you always look out for your own self interest in any professional situation. Always. Unless your name is on the building and you own the company, you’re potentially expendable if things go south.

Good luck to Will wherever he lands.
                      Will might kindly say "f you" but his brother sure as **** didn't.

Comment

Honest question. What are the advantages of leaving mid-season?
                        • Head-start on the competition with transfers and recruits considering other schools.
                        • Relief from getting out of an environment that you consider negative.
                        • Eliminate risk of being injured in practice or back-up play.
                        • He already knows where he wants to go.
                        • Doesn't have to pretend to be a student for the rest of the season if he doesn't want to.
                        • Girlfriend doesn't live in Cedar Falls.
                        My general sense is that it would be better to finish the season with a team, but I suppose there are good reasons to leave midseason. Other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                          [*]Doesn't have to pretend to be a student for the rest of the season if he doesn't want to.
                          don't you have to be in good academic standing to maintain your eligibility in order to transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                            Honest question. What are the advantages of leaving mid-season?
                            • Head-start on the competition with transfers and recruits considering other schools.
                            • Relief from getting out of an environment that you consider negative.
                            • Eliminate risk of being injured in practice or back-up play.
                            • He already knows where he wants to go.
                            • Doesn't have to pretend to be a student for the rest of the season if he doesn't want to.
                            • Girlfriend doesn't live in Cedar Falls.
                            My general sense is that it would be better to finish the season with a team, but I suppose there are good reasons to leave midseason. Other thoughts?
                            Lotta things could happen.

What if Day gets dinged up in a game and they put you in to finish...and you get hurt?

Now your interest from other schools drops off sharply.

Side note...I saw Will has an offer from Western Carolina (FCS).

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Lotta things could happen.

What if Day gets dinged up in a game and they put you in to finish...and you get hurt?

Now your interest from other schools drops off sharply.

Side note...I saw Will has an offer from Western Carolina (FCS).
                              I saw that too. I wonder what position they are looking at him for. I would love to see him do well. I think it is the right move for both parties regardless of how well he does anywhere else.
                              If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I saw that too. I wonder what position they are looking at him for. I would love to see him do well. I think it is the right move for both parties regardless of how well he does anywhere else.
                                I'd be shocked if it wasn't QB

Comment

Working...
                                X