WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FOTY View Post
    I don’t see how it really benefits UNI, other than making it a little easier to identify who’s open to transfer. Granted, the competition also knows who’s looking. It’s a much more transparent process.

UNI has always been able to take FBS transfers without them needing to sit out. They’ve gotten some really good athletes through that process for years. Heck, Benny Sapp II transferred in from Iowa long before his son transferred in from Minny, and played immediately.

Additionally, in the past, if an athlete looking for playing time transferred they were limited to the FCS unless they were able to get a waiver, or willing to sit out a year. Now they can transfer to another FBS team and potentially play the next season. Many will now stay at the FBS level that would have considered FCS in the past.

Just my 2 cents.
    There are waaaaaayyyy more guys looking to transfer now than before the portal was opened.

And...they have to find a place that will offer them a scholarship and where they think they've got a really good shot at getting on the field.

Some will go FBS. But many will go FCS.

Because they are transferring to get on the field. They all aspire to play beyond college. They know they have to play a lot to have any shot at that.

They also know you can get to the league from UNI. They know that because the coaches show them that it's happened repeatedly.

​​​​​
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• I’d like to see the rule that requires a player to lose a year of eligibility get reinstated. That would cut down on the free agent style atmosphere that exists now. If you’ve graduated, that’s fine, but make the younger players lose/sit a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
        I’d like to see the rule that requires a player to lose a year of eligibility get reinstated. That would cut down on the free agent style atmosphere that exists now. If you’ve graduated, that’s fine, but make the younger players lose/sit a year.
        I just don't see the NCAA going back to such a rule. They are under extreme pressure to tilt the rules more in favor of the players, rather than the coaches and colleges. Hence, we have the new Name-Image-Likeness provision along with the relaxed transfer rules through the Portal. As long as the coaches can jump ship so easily and so much revenue is being generated by the Money 5 conference universities, the players will benefit from these new NCAA rules as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

I just don't see the NCAA going back to such a rule. They are under extreme pressure to tilt the rules more in favor of the players, rather than the coaches and colleges. Hence, we have the new Name-Image-Likeness provision along with the relaxed transfer rules through the Portal. As long as the coaches can jump ship so easily and so much revenue is being generated by the Money 5 conference universities, the players will benefit from these new NCAA rules as well.
          Agree I don't think it's ever going back to more restricted transfer rules.

The players have a lot of power now as a group...not so much individually but as a whole.

​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
            As long as the coaches can jump ship so easily...
            exactly. If coaches are able to switch teams so often (despite usually having multi-year contract terms remaining) than players (who I believe don't typically have guaranteed multi-year scholarships, though I could be wrong) should have that capability too.

Comment

• Coaching news...not player/portal...

Jackrabbits OC / OL Coach just took the HC job at Idaho.

That's a big loss for the Jacks.

Have always admired the sophistication of their offensive scheme.

​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                Coaching news...not player/portal...

Jackrabbits OC / OL Coach just took the HC job at Idaho.

That's a big loss for the Jacks.

Have always admired the sophistication of their offensive scheme.

​​​​
                SDSU plays in Iowa City to start next season. That game has upset alert written all over it. SDSU may not win, but they have a great chance to cover whatever overinflated early spread is put on the game, particularly if Iowa wins their bowl game.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

SDSU plays in Iowa City to start next season. That game has upset alert written all over it. SDSU may not win, but they have a great chance to cover whatever overinflated early spread is put on the game, particularly if Iowa wins their bowl game.
                  They do lose a lot off this year's squad...including the QB and Pierre Strong.

But they have another good QB and Davis is back at RB. And I think their WR corps returns.

Comment

• Haven't the jahnke's been there like 26 years n a row? Bout time for them to go!

Comment

• Rumors that the quarterback from the spring is going with the OC to Idaho...
                      #MACtion

Comment

• Rabbits are going to be perfectly fine, assuming they don't bomb the OC hire and have a QB lined up.

Run game they lose Strong and Oladokun. Those two combined for 124 ypg and 19 total TD. The return Davis, who averaged more YPC and YPG than strong (8.0/114). We've also seen SDSU's QBs. Replacing 11 YPB rushing from Oladokun is a given. Now if you want to talk about potential depth at RB, given Davis (and Strong) had issues with staying completely healthy, then fine. However, Amar Johnson was a freshman and ran for 5 ypc a handful of TD on the same number of carries as Davis.

Passing game could be an adventure. Oladokun is gone. If Grownoski is gone to Idaho, as rumored, they have some work to do. Gronowski was the 20/21 freshman of the year, Jerry Rice Runner Up, Freshman All American, MVFC OPOY, MVFC First Team, etc. over the spring season. Behidn him is Keaton Heide who has been on/off again as far as PT. He can never seem to be fully buried due to injuries elsewhere, but he's never been good enough to actually keep any kind of PT. He will be a senior next year. If he steps foot on the field SDSU fans groan in unison. After that there is really nothing on the roster that there would be any kind of excitement over. I bet Stig gets hard after the transfer market again like he did with Oladokun. I don't know that I buy Gronowski being gone. His family is/has been super involved in SDSU stuff all season long, and were posting SDSU flags and lights outside of their house leading up to the game this weekend. If he was gone I don't know you'd see that from them. Gronowski coming back means they are every bit as good as this year, minimum.

Whoever they put at QB is going to have plenty to throw too. Both Janke brothers are back, Kraft (the top TE) is back, the second TE Heins is back, Canyon Bauer is back. They return 5 of their top 6 targets. The only one not returning is Strong who was #5. Those 5 totaled 191 receptions last season for 2670 yards and 25 TDs. Keep in mind they competed for 230 passes for 2814 yards and 30 TD last year. If you want to include guys who only played sparingly and had a couple of total receptions on the year they return even more because it stays with just Strong and then Oladokun as the only people with stats being gone.

On the OL they do have to replace both tackles and the center - all three were 3 or 4 (5 even) year starters. Their 6th OL, who rotated every position except center, and started a bunch of games in his career is also gone.

Defensively they are probably fine. They lost quite a bit on the front and back end, but return basically everyone in a hybrid/linebacker type role. It's 50/50 on who they lose vs have back. Statistically, they have the top of their defense back though. From their top 7 defenders (those who had at least 40 total tackles) 5 are back. After that, they take a pretty hard hit on their DL as Sanders, Winkleman, and Ward are gone - all three are starters.
                        Last edited by clenz; 12-19-2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• No surprise but Omar Brown is in the portal. Hope he gets a REAL shot at the big time

Comment

• He's a P5 kid. Let's hope he gets a good look and makes a bunch of money afterwards.
                            #MACtion

Comment

• That's a bummer, but totally expected. Good for him. I'm sure that choice was even easier with his coaches leaving. I'll be rooting for him wherever he ends up.

Comment

• Question for those who’re more in tune with the conference, and FCS football nationally. Have schools like NDSU, SDSU, Eastern Washington, JMU, etc., had issues with their potential NFL prospects leaving? Brown was being mentioned as a guy who had the attention of NFL scouts.

Comment

Working...
                                X