WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 8 - SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
    and it is a 1pm start, which some of y'all like to complain about anyway
    Well if you want UNI sports all day on November 20th you got it. 11am Women's basketball. 1pm football. 6pm Volleyball.

Comment

Great Win! Nice job Panthers.

Comment

Crowd yesterday was embarrassing. Have seen a ton of UNI games in the Dome and will never forget UNI -SIU in '05 and '07. I remember a time in the early 90's when it didn't make a difference what time Iowa or Iowa State played or what time the UNI kickoff was. If there was a home game and you wanted a good seat you got there early. Fast forward to today and it depends on marketing and social media efforts ... this is the best UNI FB team in quite awhile. Get your butt in the Dome and support them. Grumpy old guy signing off ...

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          and it is a 1pm start, which some of y'all like to complain about anyway
          Because you don't understand nuance...

There's a huge difference between a 1:00 kick in September and a 1:00 kick in late November from both a kids activities and tailgating perspective.
          #MACtion

Comment

This is the wrongest I’ve been about a UNI team in a good long while. Maybe aside from going to that barn in Canada-Minor, this is a team that can win about any game you put in front of them.

I need to rewatch a big chunk of the second half - DSM’s stupid as hell Halloween setup ruined it - but it’s starting to feel like UNI again.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
              This is the wrongest I’ve been about a UNI team in a good long while. Maybe aside from going to that barn in Canada-Minor, this is a team that can win about any game you put in front of them.

I need to rewatch a big chunk of the second half - DSM’s stupid as hell Halloween setup ruined it - but it’s starting to feel like UNI again.
              I have never understood why Des Moines does Halloween the way that it does.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by panther91 View Post
                Crowd yesterday was embarrassing.
                the crowd that was there did a better job of actually cheering (at least at times) than has been the norm of late.
                and complaining about the smaller crowd on here doesn't really accomplish much: the general public doesn't read this board, and the people here are either going to be at the game or they refuse to go to the game because they don't like the ticket prices.

Comment

Make every seat left for the Western Illinois game $10, greatly reduce the student section because it’s Thanksgiving break and the kids don’t use them anyway. Offer free tickets to health care workers, teachers, police, firefighters. Try to get 14k in the dome.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                    Make every seat left for the Western Illinois game $10, greatly reduce the student section because it’s Thanksgiving break and the kids don’t use them anyway. Offer free tickets to health care workers, teachers, police, firefighters. Try to get 14k in the dome.
                    Papering the building is the only choice at this point. Throw a stack of tickets in every restaurant and store in town.

It's so incredibly sad that that's where we are now but we have to have bodies in the building.

​​​​
                    #MACtion

Comment

• I don't care if the crowd was small; I can guarantee you that the fans who stayed until the end were very LOUD in support of our defense. SIU tried 4 times to throw it in the end zone - 4 times our defense defended the pass (without getting an interference call). Tremendous victory! Even Farley started his post-game radio interview by giving credit to the crowd . BTW, I HATE the black uniforms; you can't read any of the numbers (even Gary & Petey said the same on the post-game broadcast).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bookin' Panther View Post
                        I don't care if the crowd was small; I can guarantee you that the fans who stayed until the end were very LOUD in support of our defense. SIU tried 4 times to throw it in the end zone - 4 times our defense defended the pass (without getting an interference call). Tremendous victory! Even Farley started his post-game radio interview by giving credit to the crowd . BTW, I HATE the black uniforms; you can't read any of the numbers (even Gary & Petey said the same on the post-game broadcast).
                        Oh, it was loud on the ESPN broadcast. Loud like I have not heard in a while. And over the last five minutes of the game, you can see one camera shot from the lower side of the East bleachers that whenever they switched to that camera the shot was bouncing.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• I know the plan was for new uniforms to go along with the helmet change this year but covid budget issues prevented it, so the new ones should be coming next year.

I can only hope that

1. The uniform set is actually matching and the white pants go with the purple and white tops and the same with the purple pants. It would also help do that if we decided if we are going to drop black from the damn uniform. Right now we have 3 sets of pants that were all designed for different uniform sets and none of them are worn with the single set of tops the team has. Then when you include the black tops which aren't even created to be part of a Nike set you have 6 pieces of equipment that weren't designed to go with each other in any way. Our best look is the road look with purple pants.

2. If they are actually going to do a blackout out get real black jerseys and get the matching set for it. Those things are 5 (?) years old at this point and while they have the Nike logo on them, they aren't really Nike. It's just a generic uniform top Nike sells blanks of - think EastBay back in the day (actually I think EastBay still exists somehow). A local print shop made them. The partnership is great. It's wonderful - if only the school would use them for the actual production of shirts and other clothing that are produced and sold in mass at reasonable prices, but that is a different level of marketing/licensing that isn't worth touching right now. Even with the "feel good" story of where they came from, the reality is they are bad uniforms. The white sleeves are just horrific. The local semi-pro level quality oversized logo on the white makes it even worse.

I'd love to see black disappear completely. Swap the black face mask out and go back to the white that existed before Farley took over. Leave the white logo. Keep the white pant look and get a matching set to do it with. There's nothing wrong with our tops in terms of being bad, but they are a decade old at this point and it's probably time to update and get a new set. The issue with the current set is the home look locks black in because of the sleeves.

Honestly, just look at Furman's or BYU's set and make it purple. BYU has navy and royal for color sets. Make one black if we must have a black out.

If we want to keep yellow as an accent go take LSU's look - which is exactly what Albany has done

Though sleeve stripes are far superior to shoulder stripes as Albany proved

Honestly, just go take that Albany look in Nike's version of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years
                            Big win yesterday, eh, folks! The silence from run and gun and 65panther21 is deafening!
                            One game doesn’t make up for a decade of vomit, the empty seats agree.

you can serve up crow when they get to the national semi finals.

The Farley warts were still on full display. Play not to lose at the end and basically the entire fourth quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther91 View Post
                              Crowd yesterday was embarrassing. Have seen a ton of UNI games in the Dome and will never forget UNI -SIU in '05 and '07. I remember a time in the early 90's when it didn't make a difference what time Iowa or Iowa State played or what time the UNI kickoff was. If there was a home game and you wanted a good seat you got there early. Fast forward to today and it depends on marketing and social media efforts ... this is the best UNI FB team in quite awhile. Get your butt in the Dome and support them. Grumpy old guy signing off ...
                              Crowd isn’t coming back. The bridge has been burned. It’s going to take cheap tickets and a team that starts out about 7-0 for people to notice. Harris mucked it up so bad the past few years it makes you wonder if he has a clue.

what’s amazing is how much the fans dump on food and beer that actually go to games. Lots of people drinking 3+ beers and multiple trips to the concession stand.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                                And over the last five minutes of the game, you can see one camera shot from the lower side of the East bleachers that whenever they switched to that camera the shot was bouncing.
                                was the camera bouncing because of the "loudness" or because whatever platform that the camera/operator was on was being shaken by fans banging on the seats/railing/etc.?

Comment

Working...
                                X