WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 12 - Eastern Washington

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

    That just more than proves you haven't watched us play in the last three years. We're now pushing the top 100 in all of college basketball in tempo and we shoot (and make) a bunch of 3s because EVERYBODY shoots a bunch of 3s because basketball has fully bought in to the math that shooting a 3 is a much better shot than every 2 point shot that isn't a layup. Evolution of the game.

    And yep, A&M happened. It was awful. The absolute perfect storm that took an injury, a horrendous call on Jesperson and A&M literally being perfect. That doesn't even mention the fact that the cylinder rule was put in because of that game and what they did to Washpun in the corners. The absolute lowest of lows.

    In our last 'normal' year, we sold out the building 3 times and averaged 4300 (5000 in league play) which is right in line with our historical averages. I would expect attendance will be down this year but, as we're all well aware, that has very little to do with the product on the floor.

    So stop just throwing all your negative BS out as facts. I agree with you on a bunch of stuff but then you go with this crap that's just hyper-negative for the purpose of being hyper-negative and it undercuts your valid points.
    B-b-b-but he's such a great fan because he goes to all of the games and drinks a bunch of beer at them!

    Comment


    • Remember when UMBC knocked off Virginia in 2018? Their admissions applications increased by about 25% after that. That’s what a big win in the NCAA tournament can do for a school. It’s national exposure on one of the biggest stages in sports.

      Even if you win an FCS football title, which UNI has only once gotten close to, it still won’t give the school the kind of national exposure that basketball can.

      We already have a good base to build on here; we just need more money and buy-in. Since we can’t get that money from donors apparently, we should push our football resources into basketball. Put all the chips in.

      I bet casual fans/alums wouldn’t even notice the football program gone. But they would sure notice when they see their team on their office bracket come March.

      The school needs to step back and take a hard look at what they are: a regional state school that is getting less and less money from the state, less students, less fan and alum interest. If they really want to “do more with less,” they will stop throwing money at a middling football program and start throwing it at a program that can actually make an impact where it counts—basketball.

      Comment


      • I think we are all sick of losing…and I think the problems are beyond athletics…but I still think the major donors would pony up if there was a reason to. That comes with mvfc championships and ncaa berths in basketball. Without wins…nobody will donate or show up to games. Winning games is the key starting point….I love my panthers but losing puts a sour taste in my mouth and in today’s sports world only one stat matters…wins and losses

        Comment


        • Originally posted by QCPanther05 View Post
          Remember when UMBC knocked off Virginia in 2018? Their admissions applications increased by about 25% after that. That’s what a big win in the NCAA tournament can do for a school. It’s national exposure on one of the biggest stages in sports.

          Even if you win an FCS football title, which UNI has only once gotten close to, it still won’t give the school the kind of national exposure that basketball can.

          We already have a good base to build on here; we just need more money and buy-in. Since we can’t get that money from donors apparently, we should push our football resources into basketball. Put all the chips in.

          I bet casual fans/alums wouldn’t even notice the football program gone. But they would sure notice when they see their team on their office bracket come March.

          The school needs to step back and take a hard look at what they are: a regional state school that is getting less and less money from the state, less students, less fan and alum interest. If they really want to “do more with less,” they will stop throwing money at a middling football program and start throwing it at a program that can actually make an impact where it counts—basketball.
          Football brings way more people to campus than basketball. Those people create fans and future students. Basketball doesn’t do that because many games are on weekdays or Sunday afternoons when people prefer to be home. Saturday basketball games will draw out of towners but how many are there? 2 or 3 a year? Basketball attendance is a cedar valley thing. Almost nobody drives any significant distance to go to a game unless they are good and the game falls on a Saturday.

          you kill football and uni enrollment will drop a lot more IMO. Parents will take their kids to Iowa and ISU games and tailgate. They won’t even know UNI is an option for college. Basketball will never do that because you don’t tailgate or look around campus during basketball.

          Doesn’t really matter now. It’s all dead and will stay dead until they win in a major way.

          reality is people would rather go to 1 or 2 Iowa or Iowa State games with their atmospheres than 5-6 funerals in the dome. Frankly attendance and the atmosphere at football was embarrassing this year. You have to get butts in seats to create atmosphere. That needs to be the number one goal at the expense of everything else IMO.

          student attendance for the first few football games was actually decent IMO. You can add up all the students at basketball games for the entire year and it won’t come close to those numbers.
          run&blade
          Senior Member
          Last edited by run&blade; 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by run&blade View Post

            student attendance for the first few football games was actually decent IMO. You can add up all the students at basketball games for the entire year and it won’t come close to those numbers.
            Seriously, did you just completely cut the 2019-20 basketball season from your memory? You know, the one where we had multiple games completely sold out?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

              Seriously, did you just completely cut the 2019-20 basketball season from your memory? You know, the one where we had multiple games completely sold out?
              And how many do you think are out of town people bringing their kids to campus (possible future students)?

              Basketball draws locals and not many travel very far.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by run&blade View Post

                And how many do you think are out of town people bringing their kids to campus (possible future students)?

                Basketball draws locals and not many travel very far.
                Basketball has a wider reach to prospective students nationwide when they're good. That was the point of what was said previously. Do we want instate students? Of course. Does UNI get more money from out of state students? Obviously. The university as a whole sees more benefit from basketball being good than it ever has or ever will from football being good because of the exposure through the NCAA tournament.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by run&blade View Post

                  And how many do you think are out of town people bringing their kids to campus (possible future students)?

                  Basketball draws locals and not many travel very far.
                  I have had mens basketball season tickets for 16 years and the 3 of us travel over 200 miles round trip for each home game.
                  Last edited by Schack; 12-03-2021, 11:24 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Not to "both sides" this argument, but I think you can make the case for football drawing more out of towners, while basketball raises our national prominence more. It's a lot easier from a family in Decorah to justify making a trip to a football game and the festivities vs a basketball game. And that kind of hands on engagement does create more strong relationships with the school, in regards to fandom. However, no one really cares about FCS football, except for the people who follow an FCS team. Meanwhile people all across the country know about UNI basketball. When we beat the Bonnies last week, I saw a lot of people saying "That's what UNI does, they are the giant slayers," including some national broadcasts like Sportscenter. That one basketball game against Kansas has done more for UNI than rattling off 8 national titles has for NDSU, from a brand awareness perspective.

                    Ideally, we'd be good at both, but alas.

                    Comment


                    • Football is 9-10 the last 2 years, and basketball is 12-19 the last two years, with attendance plummeting for both. This is the only thing that matters right now. You cannot put a losing product out there and expect support.
                      UNI FIGHT

                      Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                        Football is 9-10 the last 2 years, and basketball is 12-19 the last two years, with attendance plummeting for both. This is the only thing that matters right now. You cannot put a losing product out there and expect support.
                        Having been there, basketball attendance is very similar to what it was in the fall last regular season. Nevermind that two out of the three home games so far have either had a non D1 opponent or a 5 PM tip on a Thursday

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Schack View Post

                          I have had mens basketball season tickets for 16 years and the 3 of us travel over 200 miles round trip for each home game.
                          Same here - 200+ miles, season tickets back to dome days.

                          Comment


                          • Montana hung 57 on E Wash...9 for uni...offense anyone?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by pnthr53 View Post
                              Montana hung 57 on E Wash...9 for uni...offense anyone?
                              Well, yeah. That’s what we’ve been saying here for a decade now.

                              You missed the “Fire Farley” thread around 2016 or so. By the time his contract was affordable to buy out, apathy had taken hold. Now Harris extended him as HC to 2026. So, expect a top ten - top five, even - defense for the next five seasons. But why would anything else change?
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

                              Comment


                              • Let me just say bravo to those of you traveling over 200 miles round trip for basketball. I'm legitimately impressed with the commitment.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X