WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conference Shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Shuffle

Well it is starting again and if this comes to be, you have to wonder if conferences will exist in the future or if it will just turn into one or two super conferences that set all of their own championships and bowl games.

USC and UCLA were notified Thursday night that their application to join the Big Ten has been accepted.

Goodbye to regional rivalries in a conference that would span from NJ to CA...

The Big 12 will be in full panic mode and it will be interesting to see how the dominos start to fall around the non-P5 conferences.
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

McMurphy reporting that the Big 12 is pushing hard at Utah, Colorado and the Arizona schools.

Rumors in Big Ten circles that they're looking at 20 by adding Stanford, Oregon, Kansas and TCU.

One other thing to watch out for is Cal to the Ivy League.

This is going to be the wildest yet.
    #MACtion

Comment

What bring CO back to the B12? What does that do for them? There's no TV money in the B12 and CO/AZ/Utah don't fix that either.

With 20 teams you are really just two conferences under one umbrella. I'm not sure what there is in that structure but so much for regional rivalries.
      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I get it now, the galaxy brain move by Harris. We schedule so many P5 games that we get lost in the shuffle, sneak into the new Big 12, duct tape our logo over OU's all over the building, and no one bats in eye.

Comment

I actually think this trickles all the way down to us. We've got to stay in the 3rd level of football, even if it means leaving the Valley.

Us, Illinois State, SIU, Missouri State and, probably, Murray have to stay connected at the hip here.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            McMurphy reporting that the Big 12 is pushing hard at Utah, Colorado and the Arizona schools.

Rumors in Big Ten circles that they're looking at 20 by adding Stanford, Oregon, Kansas and TCU.

One other thing to watch out for is Cal to the Ivy League.

This is going to be the wildest yet.
            The Big 10 has to be all in on Notre Dame right now. I could see it actually happening this time but who knows

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

The Big 10 has to be all in on Notre Dame right now. I could see it actually happening this time but who knows
              The only thing keeping Notre Dame out is pride. They can make more money in the Big Ten and, conceivably, all of their traditional rivals will be in the Big Ten. Michigan, Purdue, Northwestern, Stanford, SC...
              #MACtion

Comment

I would think merging the MVFC with the Big Sky and combine the MVC with the MAC might work. Big travel potential would be a barrier. Make Mark Farley the new AD too. Someone else can coach football. We need someone who gives a damn calling the shots.

Comment

So, one of these two could represent the B1G Ten in the Rose Bowl?
                  My head hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                    So, one of these two could represent the B1G Ten in the Rose Bowl?
                    My head hurts.
                    The Rose Bowl (as it has been) is likely dead.

Comment

Bowls are useless and dead, the only thing that matters from now on is the playoff and an expanded one.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                        I would think merging the MVFC with the Big Sky and combine the MVC with the MAC might work. Big travel potential would be a barrier. Make Mark Farley the new AD too. Someone else can coach football. We need someone who gives a damn calling the shots.
                        In this scenario, does MVBSFC go FBS? Because if not, I don't really see a reason for that merge. I also don't think the MAC would be willing to do a complete merge, but I can see them wanting to poach a few MVC schools, of which we'd be on the shortlist, I'd have to guess.

Comment

I'd say we can't afford FBS. The MAC is in our footprint whereas MWC and A10 are outside of it.

Comment

according to y'all, there are too many injuries if we play multiple FBS teams in a season. So why would we want to move to FBS?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                              according to y'all, there are too many injuries if we play multiple FBS teams in a season. So why would we want to move to FBS?
                              The difference, that I'm sure you're well aware of, is we would have like 30 more scholarships for our roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X