WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conference Shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East: Illinois State, Murray State, UT Martin, East Tennessee State, Youngstown State, Indiana State, Western Illinois, and Southern Illinois.

West: Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Missouri State, Montana, Montana State.

Play 7 divisional, 4 inter divisional, and 1 non-conference. FCS can man up to 12.
    Last edited by BrockLesnar; 07-06-2022, 07:20 PM.

Comment

East: Illinois State, Western Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Red Bulls, Boston Celtics, Washington Generals
      West: North Dakota State, Montana, Colorado, USC, Los Angeles Rams, Albuquerque Isotopes, Japanese Women's National Team, Flint Tropics

Play 64 divisional, 113 intra-divisional and an exhibition against the crew of the USS George HW Bush
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
        FCS can man up to 12.
        sure, just have to ditch the playoff system (or drop it down to 4 teams) and play participation trophy bowl games instead (good luck finding sponsors, though)

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          The rest is exactly right. It's got the charm of a cold war missile silo at this point.
          so that confirms that the "what about the dome?" aspect is not a valid argument for continuing the football program.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            so that confirms that the "what about the dome?" aspect is not a valid argument for continuing the football program.
            I don't disagree.

The only piece of dropping football that is an obstacle in my mind is how do you replace the corporate money. You lose HyVee, Grinnell Mutual and Veridian immediately and you still need that money even if football isn't part of the equation.

If the fundraising for the Dome actually exists, and I'm definitely not sold on that, we'd be so much better off putting that into a practice facility for Jake, McLeod Center upgrades and the start of a smaller arena for Wrestling, Volleyball and WBB now that the West Gym is dead
            #MACtion

Comment

East: Illinois State, Western Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Red Bulls, Boston Celtics, Washington Generals
              West: North Dakota State, Montana, Colorado, USC, Los Angeles Rams, Albuquerque Isotopes, Japanese Women's National Team, Flint Tropics

Play 64 divisional, 113 intra-divisional and an exhibition against the crew of the USS George HW Bush
              Yeah, I bet Vegas has us -77 over the Rams. .. IDK, you sure that 177 will do it? When's the bye week?
              Last edited by BrockLesnar; 07-07-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                sure, just have to ditch the playoff system (or drop it down to 4 teams) and play participation trophy bowl games instead (good luck finding sponsors, though)
                You couldn't figure it out? Just start the damn season a week earlier than usual. You'd still finish the playoffs on time.

Comment

I don't disagree.

The only piece of dropping football that is an obstacle in my mind is how do you replace the corporate money. You lose HyVee, Grinnell Mutual and Veridian immediately and you still need that money even if football isn't part of the equation.

If the fundraising for the Dome actually exists, and I'm definitely not sold on that, we'd be so much better off putting that into a practice facility for Jake, McLeod Center upgrades and the start of a smaller arena for Wrestling, Volleyball and WBB now that the West Gym is dead
                  I was recently asked by someone associated with the university if I had received my Dome fundraising packet yet as he thought they were sent out. That was over a month ago and I have yet to see anything. I have been told that over 50% of the funds have been raised on a $50MM+ project, so I guess we'll all wait and see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

I was recently asked by someone associated with the university if I had received my Dome fundraising packet yet as he thought they were sent out. That was over a month ago and I have yet to see anything. I have been told that over 50% of the funds have been raised on a $50MM+ project, so I guess we'll all wait and see what happens...
                    Exact same things I've been told.

Definitely best to keep it a complete secret so that you can't get any momentum in fundraising.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Campaign public launch is Homecoming week. They hope/plan to be 70% raised of the full university campaign by that point. Stay tuned.

I thought that was odd, very odd in fact. However, in conversation with a couple friends/contacts who work in nonprofits and with fundraising designations, I’m told that’s extremely common in the field. You want to have a majority of the funds raised before going public so that there is momentum. It also ensures the campaign will not be a complete failure.

Another thing I learned… any good nonprofit or fundraising professional is in one of three phases at any point. They are either in the midst of a campaign, in the collection period of a campaign (say 5 years), or in the planning stages of the next campaign. Someone please tell me the last campaign either UNI or the AD completed. Was it Koob in the late 90s?

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                        Someone please tell me the last campaign either UNI or the AD completed. Was it Koob in the late 90s?
                        2003 UNI hits fundraising goal for McLeod Center

"18-million dollars for the 100-thousand square foot McLeod Center."

Gallagher Bluedorn was built 2000 so, 1990's 1,400 donors across Iowa, The $23 million, 100,000 square foot complex

Comment

So, we're looking at 2024 at the earliest to have shovels in the ground with no mention of any other projects?

​​​​​
                          #MACtion

Comment

So, we're looking at 2024 at the earliest to have shovels in the ground with no mention of any other projects?

​​​​​
                            paint brush and plumbers wrench. Done

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                              Campaign public launch is Homecoming week. They hope/plan to be 70% raised of the full university campaign by that point. Stay tuned.

I thought that was odd, very odd in fact. However, in conversation with a couple friends/contacts who work in nonprofits and with fundraising designations, I’m told that’s extremely common in the field. You want to have a majority of the funds raised before going public so that there is momentum. It also ensures the campaign will not be a complete failure.

Another thing I learned… any good nonprofit or fundraising professional is in one of three phases at any point. They are either in the midst of a campaign, in the collection period of a campaign (say 5 years), or in the planning stages of the next campaign. Someone please tell me the last campaign either UNI or the AD completed. Was it Koob in the late 90s?
                              I work in the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota. Both our college (at least twice since I have been there - since 2006) and the University (at least three times that I recall since I have been there) have had major fundraising campaigns and all of these I that I recall began with silent fundraising efforts, which some of us knew of because of our jobs (brought up in meetings I have attended though I am several steps removed from the fundraising).

One thing I have been told is that they like to set and hit *A* goal in the silent phase and sometimes upgrade that silent phase goal (and also the overall goal) if they hit the silent phase goal quickly. In my college, two of the campaigns I recall blew past the silent goal quickly and they readjusted that goal and what would be the overall, publicly-announced goal, setting both higher. I believe the same happened for the University campaigns (the initial "Driven to Discover" was one of those you would have heard and continue to hear if you are in Minnesota - I think they were pushing for half a billion or more with that one; our college ones are routinely in the hundreds of millions).

But - and again, I am levels away from the fundraising efforts, so really am not aware unless it is mentioned in meetings I attend - there have been multiple campaigns both in my college and for the University since 2006. For UMN athletics, who knows how many department-wide campaigns in that time (I drive by the football stadium daily, other than that really know little of UMN athletics).

Still, those "silent phases" were typically no longer than a year, perhaps 18 months at most, IIRC.
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Found it - the “Students First Capital Campaign” raised $112M. It appears to have been a 7 year campaign ending in mid 2006.

Page 18: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/222999957.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X