WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI's Farley: Good's not good enough.... WCF Courier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI's Farley: Good's not good enough.... WCF Courier

UNI's Farley: Good's not good enough

By DOUG NEWHOFF, Sports Editor

CEDAR FALLS -- Northern Iowa's football team has won two of the last three Gateway Conference championships.

Coach Mark Farley is not satisfied.

The Panthers begin spring practice Monday, and Farley plans to make it clear that it's still a long way to the top of Division I-AA football.
    click here

"I feel good about what we did last year (10-3, playoff quarterfinals), but I think we can do it better and more efficiently," he said.

"We need to stay aggressive."

UNI returns 43 lettermen, including 13 starters and both kickers.

There are eight starters back on offense, including veteran quarterback Tom Petrie and the backfield tandem of Richard Carter and Terrance Freeney.

Petrie has been the Panthers' starter for most of the past three seasons. Freeney ran for more than 1,200 yards a year ago and earned Gateway Newcomer of the Year honors. Carter added 859 rushing yards and another 210 receiving, but will see limited action this spring because of a toe injury.

UNI's top two tight ends — Andy Thorn and Brian Cutright — also are back, along with fullback Reggie Brown and placekicker Brian Wingert.

The Panthers must replace a pair of starting linemen and their top two receivers.

"On offense, we can't take for granted that we've got good personnel coming back," said Farley. "We need to find ways to make this group better."

Defensively, there are at least six starting positions to fill, and they belonged to playmakers like Matt Mitchell, Justin Sandy, Benny Sapp, Jonathan Harrell, Jimmie Brown and Casey Tierney.

"We have good returners, but yet the half we lost are guys who are looking at the NFL right now," said Farley. "We have to replace some great talent and leadership. Developing chemistry will be very important during spring ball."

Among those returning are starters Ryan Arnold, Kevin Stensrud, Justin Hein, Darin Heideman, Tyler Johnson and punter Cory Henke.

Overall, the defense will hear the same message as the offense.

"Sometimes, I think you take for granted when you have good personnel back that you will be able to do the things you did the previous year," said Farley. "Now our opponents will be better prepared. We will have to find other ways to accomplish what we've been doing.

"That is the focal point. We cannot sit on our laurels. We need to take another step with this program."

Farley said there will be tremendous competition for starting positions.

"We've got some great freshmen coming in," he noted. "On defense, our staff has spent a lot of time the last couple of days trying to find ways to create the best competition at each position.

"I think we have a two-deep in the front seven where we can do that, maybe even with two previous starters competing against each other."

UNI's coaching staff is looking for a solid backup to Petrie, as well. There are a half-dozen candidates in camp, but they are young and they all lack game experience.

"There's such a gap in teaching there between Tom and those other guys," said Farley. "Tom's been with us four years. Then we've got all those redshirt freshmen still trying to knock the dust off. We need to bring along the rest of that group."

The Panthers will scrimmage April 10 and April 17 with the spring game set for 1 p.m. April 24 in the UNI-Dome.

LIGHT DUTY: In addition to Carter, other Panthers ticketed for light duty this spring are linebacker Justin Overman, receiver Curt Bradley and linebacker Jordan Dreyer.

"We will probably hold those guys out of contact, but they should all be available by fall," said Farley.

STAFF INJECTION: Farley has named D.J. Vokolek and Bill Inge co-defensive coordinators.

"We've had to fight to keep our staff intact," he noted. "It's important to keep that continuity, and we've had the support to do that.

"D.J. will still be an assistant head coach, but coach Inge will now share the responsibilities of defensive coordinator."
    "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Did anyone see in the WCF Courier that Andy Thorn, returning TE for the Panthers, was arrested for "having a disorderly house" on Friday?

Seems him and 5 others who lived at this house were causing some trouble in the College Hill area and police had already warned them twice. Not sure if the other 5 people arrested were UNI FB players.

Comment

I didn't read that about Thorn. Farley hasn't had too much trouble with his athletes over his three years here. I expect Farley will put the due punishment on whatever happened as he always does (but hasn't had to do too often).

I am excited for UNI football this year. I think it will be a great year!
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

He was cited for having a "Disorderly House". I thought that was a very strange charge. He was not arrested just cited as the police were called to three separate incidents involving him and two others. I doubt this type of situation would merit any disiplinary action other than some extra laps or something.
        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Working...
        X