WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megan Franklin, new UNI AD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

    We should have named Bob the permanent AD and told him to go play golf and take an occasional phone call. Pay him the salary. Then hire a number 2 to run the office.

    Would have paid for itself.

    ​​​​​
    Completely agree. This feels like we hired our loving Grandma.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

      Completely agree. This feels like we hired our loving Grandma.
      I know you have been around a long time. I really am not trying to be snarky, but tell me what you love about UNI. There has to be something.

      Comment


      • Based on the donations already solicited, what projects in the athletic department are currently funded or close to it? If plans are already in place for the west side of the Dome renovations next summer, we can obviously credit Bowlsby for a large part of that. What does Franklin need to do (that already hasn’t been started) so she can say “I was responsible for this.”

        Comment


        • I don't think Bob would have any issue with her taking some of the credit for the work he started if it allows her to be successful in the long run. He wants her and UNI to succeed.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
            I don't think Bob would have any issue with her taking some of the credit for the work he started if it allows her to be successful in the long run. He wants her and UNI to succeed.
            This right here. Bob loves this place and he isn't out looking for credit for anything.

            If she gets shovels in the ground relatively quickly for both practice facilities, we'll know that she's up for this.
            #MACtion

            Comment


            • Originally posted by havok58 View Post
              Based on the donations already solicited, what projects in the athletic department are currently funded or close to it? If plans are already in place for the west side of the Dome renovations next summer, we can obviously credit Bowlsby for a large part of that. What does Franklin need to do (that already hasn’t been started) so she can say “I was responsible for this.”
              At this point, it is to maintain momentum. Keep the people already donating happy and around and build a team to get more around it done.

              Almost every account I've heard from people who have interacted with her so far is she is far more comfortable in smaller, more 1-1 type, settings. You saw it as the press conference. Her prepared remarks were good. The QA in a larger setting and not being able to have specifics yet for answers "hurt" her as far as perception to some. However, when talking to people after the larger conference was over it sounds like most everyone came away impressed when getting a chance to speak directly with her. That seems to be echoed from the caravan stops so far.

              As she settles in and has more information, facts, figures, details, etc. memorized about projects, people, places, etc. she will get more comfortable in larger settings. Where she seems to thrive is the 1-1 connections, which should be quite helpful when it comes to building relationships with donors, sponsors, fans, etc.

              We are in week one with her. She isn't going to have the facility plan memorized to speak on fluently. She isn't going to have the budget numbers put to memory yet. On top of that, she is spending week 1 being thrown to the deepest end of the pool where her first action as AD is to travel with the caravan. It's great that is her introduction, it's a crash course on almost everything, getting to know the fan base, and the base getting to know her. I also understand how it might cause some nerves for her, especially as much as she seems to care so far. She wants to say the right things and make the right impression. That can cause nerves, even in the most qualified individuals. It can cause answers to be shorter/worded in ways she probably doesn't want.

              Bob has us set up really damn well right now. It's now on her to take that steering wheel and keep it straight. If she can do that we are going to be okay.

              It took 4 years for people to start to turn on David. I don't know that Dr. Franklin has the luxury of 4 years like David did, since David really did leave a bit of a dumpster fire, and fan/donor support is like a beaten dog right now when it comes to trust. However, until there is (hopefully never is) reason to truly doubt her ability to lead I am all in.

              Again, I'm not scared to say I ended David's tenure as his biggest hater, but I was his biggest backer for about 4 years. If I can give David 4 I can give Dr. Franklin more than a week.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

                This right here. Bob loves this place and he isn't out looking for credit for anything.

                If she gets shovels in the ground relatively quickly for both practice facilities, we'll know that she's up for this.
                How close is the basketball practice facility to being funded?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

                  How close is the basketball practice facility to being funded?
                  Bob threw out $6.5M raised on the podcast he did with JW on what will be a $10-12M project with several more conversations scheduled. Also alluded to a 'creative' way that they think they can get the wrestling facility built quickly.
                  #MACtion

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by clenz View Post
                    However, when talking to people after the larger conference was over it sounds like most everyone came away impressed when getting a chance to speak directly with her. That seems to be echoed from the caravan stops so far.

                    As she settles in and has more information, facts, figures, details, etc. memorized about projects, people, places, etc. she will get more comfortable in larger settings. Where she seems to thrive is the 1-1 connections, which should be quite helpful when it comes to building relationships with donors, sponsors, fans, etc.
                    I was disappointed in the hire. I spoke with her 1 on 1 Thursday at the CR Caravan stop for a few paragraphs (nothing really specific - one thing that she was particularly interested in was how I became a PSC volunteer). Nice conversation. Nothing overly fantastic or alarming to report. (Better than my previous D+ grade. )

                    Farley, as usual, was the star of the show. He gets you wound up/inspired not just for athletics, but for the whole university - now, for the past, for the future of the graduates, for what we have meant for the state of Iowa, and what we can do for the future. He is a volcano.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

                      Bob threw out $6.5M raised on the podcast he did with JW on what will be a $10-12M project with several more conversations scheduled. Also alluded to a 'creative' way that they think they can get the wrestling facility built quickly.
                      There's been talk of a potential public/private partnership for getting the wrestling facility built ever since it was determined that the West Gym was no longer available for use. In other words, this projected complex was first proposed when David Harris was in charge. It would include a hotel and retail spaces, along with the training facility. Lots of details would need to be worked out with the local developer, but this has been in the works for quite some time, not just in the past few months.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

                        There's been talk of a potential public/private partnership for getting the wrestling facility built ever since it was determined that the West Gym was no longer available for use. In other words, this projected complex was first proposed when David Harris was in charge. It would include a hotel and retail spaces, along with the training facility. Lots of details would need to be worked out with the local developer, but this has been in the works for quite some time, not just in the past few months.
                        That's a really neat idea. I'm all for whatever gets them into a facility in the quickest way possible. This area is absolutely short on hotel rooms so two birds, one stone is a great strategy.
                        #MACtion

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

                          There's been talk of a potential public/private partnership for getting the wrestling facility built ever since it was determined that the West Gym was no longer available for use. In other words, this projected complex was first proposed when David Harris was in charge. It would include a hotel and retail spaces, along with the training facility. Lots of details would need to be worked out with the local developer, but this has been in the works for quite some time, not just in the past few months.
                          Has there been any talk of what is going into the West Gym space, eventually?

                          "Well, that escalated quickly."

                          Comment


                          • Does anyone have a link to the presser they can post?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

                              There's been talk of a potential public/private partnership for getting the wrestling facility built ever since it was determined that the West Gym was no longer available for use. In other words, this projected complex was first proposed when David Harris was in charge. It would include a hotel and retail spaces, along with the training facility. Lots of details would need to be worked out with the local developer, but this has been in the works for quite some time, not just in the past few months.
                              That would be awesome. I’ve always thought they needed a hotel near the university.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                                Has there been any talk of what is going into the West Gym space, eventually?
                                No definite decision at this point but suffice to say it will not be athletics related. That way, athletics will all be west of Hudson Road and academics will all be east.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X