WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megan Franklin, new UNI AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
    Maybe there's confusion on the time zone.

Hopefully no one says "NIU".
    If the first line out of anyone's mouth is "Thank you for joining us today to celebrate the accomplishments of NIU in this great city of Cedar Rapids", we riot.

Comment

• FWIW, UNI Athletics FB page just posted that the presser is 3:30 PM CT.

Comment

• Welp...........

That was interesting.

Nice person. Likeable on a personal level.

I'll stop there.

​​​​​​
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• My thoughts from the presser:

• She's knowledgeable and extremely well-connected to key individuals in the MVC and across the US
          • I hope this is true the way she stated, it seemed that way, but if our coaches are truly hungry she seemed to want to partner in that way to help them accomplish their goals and dreams
          • She mentioned briefly about understanding the identity of the athletics department and what I think she was alluding to is that you need to have a cohesive group working in tandem together - if the assumption with that is correct, that's a big like from me
          To be determined:
          • I'm not sold on her drive for fundraising yet, how much more does the "alumni" base have to give?
          • How do we stay relevant in an ever-changing college athletics landscape? She didn't really answer that question in a way that made me think she had a plan, but to be determined on that.

Comment

• The prepared remarks were fine.

The Q&A certainly could have gone better. I'll chalk it up to nerves and we'll hope she's better on her feet in smaller situations.

Let's hope Bob has cashed a bunch of checks on his way out....
            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              The prepared remarks were fine.

The Q&A certainly could have gone better. I'll chalk it up to nerves and we'll hope she's better on her feet in smaller situations.

Let's hope Bob has cashed a bunch of checks on his way out....
              If you're too nervous to answer questions at your introduction for a leadership role...you are not ready for the role.

It is fundamental. You have to relish that opportunity.

This is a "face of the department" role.

​​​

​​​

Comment

If you're too nervous to answer questions at your introduction for a leadership role...you are not ready for the role.

It is fundamental. You have to relish that opportunity.

This is a "face of the department" role.

​​​

​​​
                You're not wrong and this is what we've got. Doesn't inspire a ton of hope but let's see how she is at the Caravan in a more relaxed setting. She's not going to be out doing a ton of formal pressers.
                #MACtion

Comment

• She seems alright. Didn't really learn much today.

Do I get the impression she's the kind of person who can get the CEO of HyVee or Casey's on the phone to talk sponsorships? Not really.

Comment

• My interpretation of this...and believe me I hope like hell I'm wrong...

Is that we whiffed on the entire candidate pool we had for the job...possibly through some issues on both sides of the table...

and had to reach for someone to fill the seat who has just enough resume to be an AD...but clearly does not have the track record or specific experience we needed for the role at UNI at this time.

But that's who we've got...so everyone at UNI is trying to play it off as best they can.

I hope she's hugely successful. I'm not disappointed in her...she'll come in and do her best I'm sure. I'm disappointed we couldn't fill this spot at a crucial moment in UNI athletics history with exactly what we needed.
                    ​​​​
                    ​​​​​

Comment

My interpretation of this...and believe me I hope like hell I'm wrong...

Is that we whiffed on the entire candidate pool we had for the job...possibly through some issues on both sides of the table...

and had to reach for someone to fill the seat who has just enough resume to be an AD...but clearly does not have the track record or specific experience we needed for the role at UNI at this time.

But that's who we've got...so everyone at UNI is trying to play it off as best they can.

I hope she's hugely successful. I'm not disappointed in her...she'll come in and do her best I'm sure. I'm disappointed we couldn't fill this spot at a crucial moment in UNI athletics history with exactly what we needed.
                      ​​​​
                      ​​​​​
                      You're dead on with what happened and it's pretty obvious that Moon was the guy until he bombed and Larscheid was a strong second, but this is what we've got so it's about stepping up and supporting her.

Also, she seems well connected which could help her develop a good staff. Remember, there are 3 senior level positions open that Bob chose not to fill so that the next person could get their team in place.
                      #MACtion

Comment

You're dead on with what happened and it's pretty obvious that Moon was the guy until he bombed and Larscheid was a strong second, but this is what we've got so it's about stepping up and supporting her.

Also, she seems well connected which could help her develop a good staff. Remember, there are 3 senior level positions open that Bob chose not to fill so that the next person could get their team in place.
                        I would love to know if Dr Franklin was an active candidate in the pool from early on...or if she got a call after things went south with the finalists.

Comment

I would love to know if Dr Franklin was an active candidate in the pool from early on...or if she got a call after things went south with the finalists.
                          I'll bet she made the cut to the semifinalists that got Zoom interviews and then they circled back to her after the committee didn't like Braun, Moon bombed and we shot ourselves in the foot with Larscheid.
                          #MACtion

Comment

UNI needs someone with a black book of CEO home phone numbers in one of those positions.

Any chance we see some of the old band back for interviews? Going after some aggressive youngsters with UNI ties?

Nook seemed loose and in good spirits during the presser.

I did like how she focused on the students' success as an important rubric for the AD's success, talk of the depth of experience of the coaches (legacy), talk of developing people while here (just the reality of FCS/mid-major ... you want hungry people who are moving up in their careers) and IIRC she mentioned student graduation more than once. That's UNI - these kids earn their degrees.
                            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• I think a positive way to spin the clear nerves we saw today is that, clearly, she really cares about this job. That's not something we literally ever saw from the person she's replacing. Give me maybe some nerves and passion over calm and unenthusiastic every day of the week. Passion sells, what we had before clearly didn't. I am not saying that the concerns mentioned above aren't completely valid concerns, I'm just saying we don't need to be jumping to conclusions before she is even actually the active AD.

Comment

• Well Moon just hired Doug Gottleib to be the Green Bay MBB coach today while also letting him keep his national radio show, so safe to say I’m glad that moron is nowhere near our campus.
                                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                                X