WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: Wartburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khan4Cats
    replied
    Re: Up Next: Wartburg

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Getting the feeling that Martino, Pehl, and Olivier are 11-13...
    Once AJ is back, I think that Martino/Singleton and Pehl/Olivier become more spot players, with Pehl and Olivier seeing more floor time because we have less depth in the low post. I would still not be surprised if they all got playing time in just about every game. How much will depend on game situations and match-ups.

Leave a comment:

• Kaboomcat
    replied

Looking at the write up the Panthers should be able to wear people out with fresh bodies. You have to be excited about the depth.

Leave a comment:

• Chitown Panther
    replied

Seems like Buss could be a real pain in the a$$ mismatch for other teams...

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied

Getting the feeling that Martino, Pehl, and Olivier are 11-13...

Leave a comment:

• 9YRPLAN
    replied

0 points in 25 minutes for martino

i have a hunch that he will not see meaningful minutes this year.

Leave a comment:

• Zakelsta
    replied

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
    I didn't get to see the game today. What's the story with Martino?
    Sorry, I left Martino out of the write up. Played good defense, as its his strength. Offensively however, he was sub-par. Sometimes it felt like having 4 players on the court offensively. He took some ill advised shots and missed. I believe he missed a layup or tip in or something as well. I was less than impressed. I feel that with all the talent we have on this team, and as deep as we are, our minutes are going to be better utilized with some of the other guys, instead of with Martino. Again, he does very well on defense, so he could be a very useful guy to come in and protect a lead late in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Hail Our Panthers
    replied

I too missed the game today, nice write-up Zakelstra

Leave a comment:

• Codytwo
    replied

I didn't get to see the game today. What's the story with Martino?

Leave a comment:

• UNIPNTHR
    replied

One item that stuck out to me this game was Deon's inbound pass from under UNI's basket to a cutting (Buss or Tuttle?) for an open layup.

Remember the McDermott era when the only inbound play UNI had from under its own basket was the 3/4 court lob to Brooks McKowen?

#LoveThisTeam

Leave a comment:

• Zakelsta
    replied

My thoughts 5 minutes after the game:

Deon - Looked stellar. I mean..stellar. The guy we hoped Kwadzo would become. Outstanding looks for assists, lights out shooting, his ability to drive was just as impactful as actually driving. One of his best games as a panther, and hopefully a sign of great things to come this season.

Sonnen - Typical Marc Sonnen. Diving on the floor, playing great D, and hitting shots when he needs to. Certainly the leader of this team, and a great player for the young guys to follow. No surprises here.

Bohannon - Great jumper. Decent ball control. Ok offensive positioning. Disappointing defensively. Let his guy get around him/past him more than I'd like. Lost his spot/guy more than once, and I feel like everything I went "Who's guy was that?" it was Matts. He will be a Panther great in time, but for right now, I'd like to see him focus in on his defensive assignments and getting to his spot in this help defensive scheme.

Koch - First half: Where was Jake Koch?! Second half: My goodness he's good. Basically the exact thoughts we've all had on Jake for the last 2 seasons. Shows flashes of outstanding play, but inconsistent. Hopefully he can keep putting it together, and come up with that outstanding play when we need him to.

Tuttle - I don't like using this term, because I think our team thrives when we think from a team perspective. But I think Seth Tuttle is becoming our "Go to guy". Even from the end of last year, when we needed a bucket, Seth made it happen. In this game, we didn't 'need' much, but every time Tut had the ball, I just felt excited that he was going to do something great with it, and had very little worries that he'd do something stupid. Another player that could become a Panther great.

Buss - Multiple times in this game, I thought..."man that looks like a move Adam Koch would have made" Great jump shot. Great defensive positioning. Great court awareness. Good ball handling (for a 6'9" guy). The one spot I'd hope for him to improve in, would be rebounding. For a guy playing mainly in the 4, he was out of position for rebounds a lot. If he can improve in that area, I can see him stepping into the starting spot for Koch next season. And being a top bench scorer for us now.

Rank - A lot of what we're used to from Chip. Aggressive D, shooting that pretty 3 point shot. Not a lot of minutes, so the stats don't look great, but he played the role Chip likes to play.

Morrison - Another bright spot from this game. In exhibition play, a lot of people were disappointed in Matt's play. He stepped up today. Great shooting, and actually RAN the offense. He's gotta keep realizing that when he's on the court, HE is running things. A Big 14 point game for him.

Pehl - Seemed pretty invisible until those last 5 minutes. Not sure of his minutes yet, but not sure he got much play time there until the end. As we know, his size is his biggest asset. He's gotta continue to use it. Throw that big body around fella. We have like 76 big guys this year, don't worry about foul trouble. If he comes out and plays aggressive, he could be a really impactful bench player for us.

Olivier - Raw, but talented. This has sort of become his mantra. Poor ball control, missed assignments, etc. But you can just tell by watching him, that he has a TON of potential. A great eye for blocking shots, good positioning for rebounds, has NO fear in backing someone down or playing aggressively. (Someone get Pehl and Chris to room together). This one is on the coaching staff: If they can chisel the mistakes out of him, and harness that talent to become a consistent play maker, he could be a superstar. Probably going to take more than this season though.

Singleton - Left him for last. Dude came out and PLAYED today. I was impressed in a lot of different ways. #1: Rebounding. Goodness, everytime the ball went in the air, Marvin was under it. Great awareness and positioning for rebounds, both O and D. #2: Defensively. Up to this point, I wasn't sure of how ready he was from a defensive perspective. He did good today. Not great. But good, much better than I'd seen so far. Especially there at the end when he was matched up on Crawford. Showed some quick feet. I'm excited to see him playing at the 3. His size is a matchup nightmare, as long as he can be quick enough to defend their 3. If he keeps doing what he did today, he'll be in the fight for more and more minutes all year.

Team - Impressed with our ability to play with all sorts of different lineups. In the past, we've had a 1st team, and a 2nd team. Today, we had everybody with everybody. And it didn't throw us off stride at all. We were fresh, even at the end, which is why we were able to get to 103. Little bonus: at the end, we had all 5 guys on the court at 6'6" or taller. I know it's a time burning lineup, but the ability to do that, is almost impossible for most teams to line up against.

Great game. Can't wait to see what we do on Wednesday.

Leave a comment:

• UNIPNTHR
    replied

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
    didn't we put 100 on ISU under Mac? was at least in the 90s
    2005: UNI 99 - ISU 82 (per kenpom.com)

Leave a comment:

• Panther-Sheik
    replied

Score please??

Leave a comment:

• ubuntuCAT
    replied

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    I think you have to go back to Eldon to find another 100 point game...
    didn't we put 100 on ISU under Mac? was at least in the 90s

Leave a comment:

• Zakelsta
    replied

Great offensive game. Good defensive game. Our guys got beaten a couple times on D against a much lesser talent Wartburg team. I know were upping the offense and tempo this year, but we can't let our game get away from us.

Leave a comment:

• Panther'73
    replied

Brad Wells is the play by play.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X