WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great read regarding MVC Hoops Popularity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great read regarding MVC Hoops Popularity

MVC NOTEBOOK: VALLEY GAINS TOPS AMONG NCAA SCHOOLS

BY PAUL KLEE
    THE SOUTHERN
    [Tue Jul 06 2004]

CARBONDALE -- Turnstiles around the Missouri Valley Conference might need a splash of WD-40 for the upcoming hoops season.

That is, if the 2004-05 campaign is anything like last season.

Bolstered by banner figures at Creighton, Wichita State and Drake, the MVC experienced the nation's largest average increase in attendance at men's college basketball games last season, The NCAA News reported in a recent issue.

The Valley ranked just ninth among 31 conferences in average attendance with 7,288 fans per game. But in terms of average increases from the previous year, the Valley realized a 672-fans per game boost -- the largest increase in the country.

The Valley also was the only conference with three teams in the top 10 of attendance increases. Creighton (No. 3), Wichita State (No. 9) and Drake (No. 10) all witnessed remarkable upswings in attendance.

Why the escalating ticket sales?

Two things: Improved facilities and the rising popularity of Valley hoops.

"In terms of attendance, you have the Roundhouse at Wichita (State) and you have the new arena at Creighton. Both of those helped out attendance tremendously," said Mike Kern, MVC associate commissioner of communications.

"We've seen an uprising in crowd support both at the conference tournament and during the regular season."

Creighton, which played its first season in the $291-million Qwest Center in Omaha, played in front of an average of 12,078 fans. That was an increase of 3,832 fans per game from the previous year. (The Qwest Center seats 15,500 fans, while Creighton's old home, the Omaha Civic Auditorium, entertained about 9,300.)

Creighton's largest home game was a visit from in-state rival Nebraska, which drew 15,561 fans. Second was a showdown vs. Southern Illinois University (14,372).

The Bluejays ranked 28th in the nation in average home attendance (12,078).

Wichita State, the Valley's preseason No. 1, also reaped the benefits of a "new" facility -- freshly-renovated Charles Koch Arena debuted on Dec. 20, 2003.

The Shockers saw an increase of 1,856 fans per home game last season, the ninth-largest increase in the nation. On Jan. 28, SIU helped draw WSU's eighth-largest total (10,186).

WSU was the only other Valley squad to rank in the top 50 in average home attendance. At No. 45, the Shockers hosted just over 10,000 fans per game.

The inaugural season of Iowa coaching legend Tom Davis at Drake seemed to energize the Bulldogs' faithful. Drake enjoyed the 10th-biggest increase with over 1,700 more fans per game than the previous season.

The ticket box was hardly quiet at SIU Arena, either.

"We had a great year last year," SIU ticket manager Brad Pietz said.

The Salukis averaged 6,698 fans per home game, the 80th-best mark in the country. Three sold-out wins against Hawaii, Creighton and Bradley closed the home slate.

Officially, the MVC-champion Salukis averaged only 131 more fans per home game than in 2002-03.

But SIU's previous attendance figures could be skewed -- before last season, the athletic department counted tickets by hand. Last season was the first time SIU utilized Ticketmaster, making the 2003-04 attendance figures slightly more accurate.

"It was a nightmare (before Ticketmaster)," Pietz said.

Nationally, no one gathered a bigger crowd than Kentucky.

For the eighth consecutive season, the Wildcats led the nation in home attendance. The SEC champions sat a staggering 22,710 fans per home game.

The Big Ten averaged the most fans per home game in terms of conferences. Led by Wisconsin's 17,000-plus average, the Big Ten entertained 12,779 per game.

More fans attended college basketball games in 2003-04 than ever before.

WOMEN: Southwest Missouri State, which claimed its 10th conference title, paced Valley women's programs with an average of 6,661 fans per home contest.

Out of 324 programs nationally, the Lady Bears ranked 11th.

Drake was the second most-watched Valley team with 3,000-plus fans per home game. SIU was not listed among the top 100 teams.
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

In my opinion, we should be pushing at least 5,000 a game next year (if not 6,000). Students will show up more now that we went to the Big Dance. Hopefully, the community will too. What are your thoughts?
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone
      In my opinion, we should be pushing at least 5,000 a game next year (if not 6,000). Students will show up more now that we went to the Big Dance. Hopefully, the community will too. What are your thoughts?
      Agreed....two more years (i think) in the Dome and winning like last year would get us to the point where the whole first season in McLeod could be sell outs.....what is the capacity going to be for our arena, because eventually, if the MVC popularity keeps growing, our capacity could be under the average attendance for the league!!! i would like that just because there would be better chance of sell outs or better crowds!!

Comment

Student Attendance

Well, the hope is that we will be able to pull some of the new students in to the games this year and hopefully with the success last year, current students will also be involved. Through orientation for freshman, we have gotten almost 400 new students to join Panther Posse/Mac's Maniacs for the upcoming school year. Lets say that 1/4 of those show up to the games....thats 100 just in new students.....already quadrupling the amount of Maniac's we had last year at a given game (give or take a few numbers). Attendance comes with success....we'll have a good following this upcoming year....I estimate 6000 per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac4
          I estimate 6000 per game.
          Gosh I hope so....I just hope that the lady will let me get back to CF and take in a game with PTTB this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac4
            Through orientation for freshman, we have gotten almost 400 new students to join Panther Posse/Mac's Maniacs for the upcoming school year. Lets say that 1/4 of those show up to the games....thats 100 just in new students.....already quadrupling the amount of Maniac's we had last year at a given game.
            Is this for real? Through ORIENTATION Mac's Maniacs and the Panther Posse have 400 new members? If so, THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!! We need more students to get excited about Panther Athletics. You have to start with the FRESHMAN because upperclassmen are convinced UNI games are "boring".

Maniac4...I have ONE request for the POSSE/MANIACS. PLEASE MAKE ALL STUDENTS IN THE SECTION WEAR THEIR SHIRT SO IT'S A SEA OF GOLD BEHIND THE OPPOSING TEAM'S BENCH!
            "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317
              Maniac4...I have ONE request for the POSSE/MANIACS. PLEASE MAKE ALL STUDENTS IN THE SECTION WEAR THEIR SHIRT SO IT'S A SEA OF GOLD BEHIND THE OPPOSING TEAM'S BENCH!

not everyone was officially a member of the mac's maniacs. i know i wasn't but i was behind them for every single game

Comment

BBall Games

We definitely need to get the people to where their shirts. And as badly as I want that and you want that...it's gonna take more than 2 people to convince students to come to games. Panther BBall and Mac's Maniacs got tons of exposure over the orientation period with pictures all over UNI's brochures of both...hopefully students see how fun it is and will join in...it's gonna take a big push from current students who know how fun the games are to make this a success. The biggest thing is...we gotta recruit people to come to the intersquad game to get people signed up for Maniacs....if you aren't in Panther Posse/Mac's Maniacs...ya gotta do it...it's definitely worth it.

Panther Posse is gonna have free tailgating this year for some or all football games which means free food and pop...plus pizza for bball games...plus you get a discount card to local businesses ( i think subway is one and is buy a six inch, get one free)...plus you get 2 shirts (Panther Posse and Mac's Maniacs) all for 10 bucks...it's worth....lets get some people a part of this.

Comment

The PP and MM sound like they are getting a facelift (and improved attention). I think that half of the bleachers behind the opponent's bench for UNI games should be sold out for UNI students/band. A sea of gold behind the benches would be awesome. It is such a homecourt advantage to have those students there. It's a great deal for all students to take advantage of.

Comment

Working...
                  X