WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Up Next: North Carolina

Originally posted by pantherUNIverse View Post
    Good to see Wes' face popping up on ESPN's basketball home page. Insider article though which I don't have access to
    Article about potential "Giant Killers", UNI is listed as the wild card with this write up.

The wild card

Northern Iowa Panthers

Last season: 31-4; 16-2 Missouri Valley Conference

On the heels of a dream season in which the Panthers won 31 games and played Giant in the NCAA tournament, they find themselves in a more familiar position this year as a potential Killer. Gone is MVC Player of the Year Seth Tuttle, along with fixtures Nate Buss, Deon Mitchell and Marvin Singleton. But coach Ben Jacobson still has enough talent to execute his methodical, efficient system: Last season the Panthers ranked 14th in offensive efficiency and 28th in defensive efficiency while playing the 348th-fastest tempo in the country, six full possessions below the NCAA average of 64.8. Early this season, Jacobson's moves have included increasing the workload for guards*Wes Washpun*and*Jeremy Morgan, and JUCO transfer*Aarias Austinhas also provided an early spark with five 3-balls in the Panthers' first two games.

Without Tuttle around to clean up the defensive boards, UNI's defensive efficiency could slip, and the Panthers could relinquish a key weapon in their fight against Giants, the ability to win the possession battle. But if 6-foot-9*Bennett Koch*matures and 6-foot-6*Paul Jespersoncontinues to play bigger than his size, UNI will again be a serious threat come tourney time.

Upcoming test: vs. North Carolina, November 21.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Sounds like Paige might play Saturday now.
      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
        Sounds like Paige might play Saturday now.
        According to? I've seen nothing on this. He was supposed to be out 3-4 weeks and was injured a few days into November.
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

Comment

He dressed at shot during warm-ups against Wofford

Comment

I expect him to start and play a couple of minutes. Just to make sure he gets introduced and gets to play at home for a few minutes.
            #MACtion

Comment

I would bet he starts and plays a little at least. Whether he's full strength and can play the whole game, I have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                The original Uni home game against Iowa drew 22,000 to the dome.

I think you could put this game in the dome and you wouldn't sell 22,000 tickets. This time of year is all about football in the media. I think Kwwl talks about the upcoming Hawkeyes game in every segment including the weather.

I can see calling this game, last years WSU game, and the original Iowa in the dome game as the biggest and make a good argument.
                Yeah, I don't think there's a wrong answer here. The Iowa game was just something else since it had been years since we played them in CF. It wasn't Iowa's best team that year but over the past decade they had some great teams and they had won the hearts and minds of a lot of people in Iowa. Saturdays and Thursday nights were appointment TV. I remember one game they played against Purdue in the 80s when they were 1-2 in the country and the OP was literally standing room only to watch the game on those little TVs they had.

I don't live in Iowa anymore but I think that any game would be hard to beat the buzz for that game.
                "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Anyone have the TV info for us out of staters?

Comment

I think ESPN 3.

Comment

Paige not playing tomorrow per Gary Parrish of CBSSports.

That really stinks. Feel terrible for him and, selfishly, I really wanted to see him play in person.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        Paige not playing tomorrow per Gary Parrish of CBSSports.

That really stinks. Feel terrible for him and, selfishly, I really wanted to see him play in person.
                        Glad we got the game because of him, but terrible break for that young man - he's waited his entire college career to play in his home state in front of friends and family.
                        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                        - George Halas

Comment

Just reading through some of the UNC boards they seem to be a nervous bunch. I guess I would feel the same if UNI was ranked #1 in MBB. Hopefully we can do some sort of recognition for Paige even though he will not play. Feel for the guy. He's had a heck of a career.

Comment

Writeup by SB Nation

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                              Glad we got the game because of him, but terrible break for that young man - he's waited his entire college career to play in his home state in front of friends and family.
                              Well said. Would have been a fun atmosphere for him, too. Plus side is he got to see his family.
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                                gotta think we squeeze the pack line defense pretty far and make them beat us from 3? That's my simplistic game strategy

Comment

Working...
                                X