WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coach Jake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Jake

Over the next few days, Coach Jake is going to feel the big difference between being the coach at UNI compared to being a coach at a larger school.

I believe that UNI, the Cedar Valley, and the entire community that supports our basketball program will welcome him with open arms and provide our group of coaches and student athletes with a ton of support. On the other hand, I think things would be much different at a larger school and many people would be screaming for his head.

While this loss may be on him, Coach Jake is a stand up guy and deserves the respect that is due. We all may be hurting from this loss, but what we feel is only a fraction of what Coach Jake feels right now. We need to welcome him with open arms. Our support will help solidify Jake's decision to stick around and continue building one of the best basketball programs in the nation.

Re: Coach Jake

I'm not screaming for his head by any means, and I think anyone who is would be wrong to do so, no matter what level UNI is at.

With that being written however, he is the head coach, and I think that along with that title comes a certain amount of accountability, including criticism. I read a story from Yahoo about the collapse, and they mention the 'ill-fated decision" to use our last timeout with 37.7 seconds left after A & M had cut it to 10.

Ben Jacobson has forgotten more about basketball than I've ever known in the first place, and I have to wonder if he called that timeout just to give end of game instructions, etc. But I have to believe he would take that one back if given the chance.

Comment

We called Livingston Air to see when the team gets back. Last night 2am.

FYI

Comment

I wish we could have a rally or something to show our support for this team. I can't imagine how they feel right now or how hard it is to get up and going to class today. I hope they know how very much we love and appreciate this team!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Someone said in another thread that we don't have to worry about P5 schools calling him for awhile after last night's meltdown. While probably true, it's more because we lost than anything else. Another Sweet 16 appearance is a big resume point. I'm not absolving him for anything, just pointing out that this won't define him or the program going forward. They'll recover.

Onward and upward. Take a little time to decompress, then the coaches need to hit the recruiting trail HARD. Also, the weight room and footwork drills are calling out to Bennett, Ted, and Luke. I hope it's their second home for the next several months.

Comment

Sometimes things happen that no one can explain - this is one of those times. This game will eat at Jake and all of his guys for the rest of their lives - long after idiot fans are done venting. That's what most bothers me. These seniors have had a ton of success and are class acts. I'd encourage fans to imagine what these guys are going through instead of continuing to analyze 44 seconds worth of wouldas and couldas.

Comment

Just listened to Jake's call with KXNO this morning. He said more than once - this doesn't change or define our program.

I believe that. He won't let it.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                Just listened to Jake's call with KXNO this morning. He said more than once - this doesn't change or define our program.

I believe that. He won't let it.
                That's why I'm confident is what I wrote above. The only way it would conceiveably define him or the program is if it slips into a prolonged period of mediocrity. That's why the coaches need to really get after it in recruiting (including transfers), and the returning guys need to double down on refining their games. No reason to expect the negative in either.

Comment

We were out of timeouts late. The stoppage of play gave us two more timeouts, but it also gave A&M the same. We in bounded to the corners twice. This lead to a trap/bad pass and two of the four turnovers. Hindsight is always 20/20. When a player is trapped someone is open and needs to get to an open area. The throw over the top to Carlson could have been repeated. An in bound to the middle of the court could have worked better because that is harder to trap. I think Lohaus is too small to be the in bounder. This will serve as a learning experience for one and all.

Comment

There are no big jobs open so he will not be leaving soon.

Minnesota would be something that might interest him but their athletic department is a mess. Hey have had no AD for over six months because of a sexual harassment scandal. Their fundraising to upgrade facilities has slowed because of the AD situation.

Their football basketball and even hockey programs have not done well lately and I think they might even have some lawsuits on the horizon bcause of the AD situation and title IX equality issues.

Jerry Kill wanted to have a job hat made him the man in charge of football between the AD and head coach. Minnesota said no.

It is a huge mess and the list of people that would take that job is going to b loiter until they get their house in order.

Pitino is getting at least another year because frankly their is nobody in power to do anything.

Comment

I think coach has a huge job in front of him next season. He has only 4 players with significant experience, two players were injured that return (McDonnell), (T Lohaus), and Matt (Graduated). There is uncertainty of how well Mcloud, Brown, McDonnell, Haldeman, and Dahl will do in player development and adjusting to Division I Basketball. I think we will be an NIT team next season. I know everyone wants to get back to the Dance, but there are only 36 at large spots. It takes 22/25 wins to make an at large in the NIT/Dance.
                      Last edited by Panther100; 03-21-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther100 View Post
                        We were out of timeouts late. The stoppage of play gave us two more timeouts, but it also gave A&M the same. We in bounded to the corners twice. This lead to a trap/bad pass and two of the four turnovers. Hindsight is always 20/20. When a player is trapped someone is open and needs to get to an open area. The throw over the top to Carlson could have been repeated. An in bound to the middle of the court could have worked better because that is harder to trap. I think Lohaus is too small to be the in bounder. This will serve as a learning experience for one and all.
                        Spot on accurate. Take what you did wrong and implement changes. It's all 50/50 hindsight, and it's easy to be overly critical when sitting in a bar or on your couch watching. Hopefully the way we lost serves as motivation to the returnees to double down on work for next year.

Comment

He'll move forward, the whole program will move forward.

This one is tough for me because if you have the same situation 1000, or maybe even 10,000, times you might lose once. Last night happened to be that once. Jake manned up immediately and took all responsibility, which is crazy admirable.

At the end of the day, we've won 54 games in two years and played in the round of 32 both times with wildly different rosters and styles.

The challenge here is not letting this creep into November. I trust Jake's history in that it won't.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                            Spot on accurate. Take what you did wrong and implement changes. It's all 50/50 hindsight, and it's easy to be overly critical when sitting in a bar or on your couch watching. Hopefully the way we lost serves as motivation to the returnees to double down on work for next year.
                            I think having a calm coach really helps for player development. Coach Jake allows a player to offer feedback as well. Coach will stick around for now, but quite a few programs want him. However, most of the programs with an opening are playing losing basketball.

Comment

Valley is wide open next year. Tremendous amount of talent graduated across all teams.

Probably a one bid league because of all the new faces but very winnable.

Comment

Working...
                              X