WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting an pool on forthcoming arrests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

wire fraud - ?? I think you just threw that in there because you thought it sounded good.

bribery - bribery goes on on a massive scale every day, the vast majority of it is legal. Congress people and other national pols take millions a year in bribes, but the supreme court says it's legal. Businesses give kickbacks to people responsible for purchasing decisions to buy their products. A kid gets paid to go to play ball for a school. Probably one of the least offensive forms of bribery.

tax evasion - well yes, there's always that. People that take money under the table seldom report it.
    So, your theory is "this happens every day so it shouldn't be prosecuted here when a 3 year sting was run on it to gather information"?

This isn't an overnight thing. This investigation has been going on, in secret, for a handful of years now.
    "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Did anyone else see the picture that went with this story on MSN? Three people talking to each other, one of the dirtiest agents involved in this, a first round recruit he represents out Creighton, and a coach from the same school. I don't think there's any real connection, in fact I think the player pictured is dropping the dirty agent, but not great publicity.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

So, your theory is "this happens every day so it shouldn't be prosecuted here when a 3 year sting was run on it to gather information"?

This isn't an overnight thing. This investigation has been going on, in secret, for a handful of years now.
        No, it's great, I hope they bust a bunch of the bastards, seriously doubt it will happen is all. In case you haven't noticed, rich people rarely pay for their crimes in this country. Wells Fargo has committed fraud on a massive scale at least 3 times in the past 10 years and no one has gone to jail yet.

All things considered I'd rather we didn't have a government that's for sale to the highest bidder than stop some sleazy sports agents and coaches, but you take what you can get. Just don't think it isn't all part of the circuses we are being entertained by to distract us from the real crimes going on.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

From the Arizona Star - "Richardson appeared in U.S. District Court in Tucson on charges of conspiracy to commit bribery, solicitation of bribes by an agent of a federally funded organization, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, wire fraud conspiracy and travel act conspiracy."

Apparently this is one of the illegal kinds of Bribery. Not sure if the newspaper just threw in wire fraud here as well, because it sounds good.
          Emmanuel "Book" Richardson is facing 60 years". Not that he will actually get that much punishment.
          Former Drake player Lamont Evans is looking at a potential 80 years. Lamont is the former player that sued drake over their GPA eligibility rule. Apparently his D+ grade point didn't cut it after all.
          Last edited by domedays; 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM.
          "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

To further the illegalness of this rather than "Well this is just something that happens all the time".

This entire thing started because the FBI was investigating the SEC - the Securities and Exchange Commission, not the conference - and found something goofy in the books. The more the "pulled the string" the deeper they got into it and the more they found. Eventually they got to where we are today.

So yeah, this is actually a pretty big ****ing deal.

The player you mentioned was Justin Patton, who was a one and done at sCUm and was a top 16 pick in the NBA draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves - he'll actually spend most/all of his rookie year in Des Moines with the Iowa Wolves. He is dropping his agent, who is looking REAL dirty in all of this. I don't think Patton was inolved in anything the FBI is investigating. However, his former agent was. His agent represents(ed...as he's losing clients like crazy right now)Kyle Lowry, WIllie Reed, Kristaps Porzingas, and about 40 other players.
            "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
              What I've heard so far is players taking money to go to schools, and coaches taking money to send players to agents. So what else is new? Are there any actual laws against any of this or just NCAA regulations? The NCAA has proven it won't actually police itself, so I'm glad the FBI got involved I guess, but I don't see anybody going to jail. Any time you have big money involved in an activity, like college sports now, people are going to cheat. It's called greed, and it's corrupted just about every aspect of our society now from industry to politics to sports to healthcare, and on and on. Where ever there is big money, there's massive corruption. Half of our economy is based on scam products. We used to have laws against a lot of this stuff but I guess they were repealed in the name of free markets or something.
              If your're talking private sector, then there are few laws as to why companies purchase certain things. Nor should there be. If someone wants to be an idiot and buy crap from someone due to lunches, dinners, drinks, hookers, whatever, so be it. That's idiotic business, but who cares. The free market works. Government, different story. Prosecute the hell out of them, because they're spending OUR money. If you're a public employee, you should expect, and deserve, scrutiny.

I haven't followed this super closely, but I'm guessing this is mostly centered around money laundering, right?

Comment

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/9/29...-investigation

Interesting to watch a program like UK wonder what is coming.

4 Reasons for UK not to worry:

"1. Kentucky assumes that it is always under investigation."
                (We're good at hiding things)

"2. The University of Kentucky has not been mentioned in early reports."
                (So far so good!)

"3. Kentucky's compliance office does its job well."
                (We've been able to fool the NCAA, the FBI should be no problem.)

"4. Coach Cal has been reeeaallly swaggy this week."
                (Our coach is a really good salesman.)

2 Reasons for UK to worry:

"1. This week's announcement is just scratching the surface."
                (Maybe the most honest thing in the article)

"2. Third-party involvement complicates everything."
                (It's harder to cover things up when you need others to lie for you and they want to avoid jail.)
                Last edited by sivert; 10-01-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I mean Coach Cal has always done such a squeaky clean job wherever he's gone.

Comment

Article from 2015 about shoe company influence in recruiting:
                    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...rs-commitment/

Out of Curiosity, I looked at Mr. Haliburton's final 5 schools. Three Nike, one UA, and one Adidas.

Comment

Does all of this make UNI lean more to holding scholarships back until spring?
                      Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                        Does all of this make UNI lean more to holding scholarships back until spring?
                        I'm assuming this was more meant for the recruiting thread, but I wouldn't count on not landing a guy just yet.

There is some time to still get a name or two on the radar fans might not expect. With stuff hitting the fan right now, coaches who haven't been named but have had assistants indicted may begin to have players look elsewhere. HS kids who were looking at certain coaches may not be looking there anymore.

I'd be shocked if we didn't hear of someone on campus in the next week or two.

Comment

Looks like Kansas may be in some trouble too. I wonder if they'll have to forfeit that game they played against us... oh, wait.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...didas-in-probe
                          "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

If they get everybody, it'll be a miracle. Josh Childress tweeted to the NCAA in response to then fixing problems...

I know guys who took a pay cut when they made it to the league. But anyway, good luck. It won
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Today, we're all winners

Pitino fired for cause

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...inate-contract
                              Last edited by Trapped in California; 10-16-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

A couple dozen schools are reviewing themselves in response to this, part of that list? Wichita and Creighton. How amazing would that be if they're caught up in this?

Edit: The article: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...179126706.html
                                Last edited by sevelev711; 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X