WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: Alcorn State

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The no-band thing irritates me to no end. It's the first thing I noticed last night.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
      I don't have anything new or insightful to add but that was just plain fun last night.

Capped off with the UNI student winning the $10,000 prize when his half court shot went in at the buzzer.

Anyone take advantage of Panther Patio? I didn't see a huge crowd up there but I did see people taking full advantage of it before the game and coming and going at half time. I think the word probably just needs to get out more.

And I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Coach Jake in a purple blazer. Nice, Coach.
      The patio was a nice change. Most of the group I go with had no idea it was open to everyone, but we went up and each of us had a couple beers. It was a good way to spend halftime. Hopefully more people start using it. Watching the game from up there isn't all bad either. It was a small crowd up there, but I think it will only get better as word spreads.

The play was much more enjoyable to watch last night as well. There was ball movement, Koch passed out of the post a couple times and guys knocked down open looks. Juwan's 3's I believe were all catch and shoot and pretty wide open, but it is still a big deal to see them go in. If he can shoot near 40% from 3, he will be a nightmare to guard. He did a really nice job getting to the lane and getting open looks for several guys. His assist numbers will pick up as more shots start falling. Pickford's ability to rebound could allow Jake to play a small lineup at times that gets out and runs if he would choose to do so. It has been good to see him yelling from the sideline to push tempo a couple of times already this year. This team is athletic enough to play fast and still play good defense.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
        The big test is going to be when the 3 ball isn't falling. We can't expect to shoot this well from 3 all season.
        Didn't we make like 20 threes at home against SoDakSt just last year? There will be ups and downs.
        Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

Comment

The pep band played @ the women's game Friday night.
          Ch. 2 covered the Panther Patio with video last night - according to them UNI is the first university in the state to do this...

Comment

Is there any word on why McDonnell hasn't done much?

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

The patio was a nice change. Most of the group I go with had no idea it was open to everyone, but we went up and each of us had a couple beers. It was a good way to spend halftime. Hopefully more people start using it. Watching the game from up there isn't all bad either. It was a small crowd up there, but I think it will only get better as word spreads.

The play was much more enjoyable to watch last night as well. There was ball movement, Koch passed out of the post a couple times and guys knocked down open looks. Juwan's 3's I believe were all catch and shoot and pretty wide open, but it is still a big deal to see them go in. If he can shoot near 40% from 3, he will be a nightmare to guard. He did a really nice job getting to the lane and getting open looks for several guys. His assist numbers will pick up as more shots start falling. Pickford's ability to rebound could allow Jake to play a small lineup at times that gets out and runs if he would choose to do so. It has been good to see him yelling from the sideline to push tempo a couple of times already this year. This team is athletic enough to play fast and still play good defense.
              Do you recall which beers they had? Interested what kind of craft selection they have.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherObserver View Post

Do you recall which beers they had? Interested what kind of craft selection they have.
                There was your typical domestic selection and I think there were 2 or 3 "craft" beers. I believe there was a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Goose Island and maybe one other one. I think there was a total of 6 or 7 options to choose from. You can still watch all the halftime entertainment while up there. It's a great idea and good place to kill 20 minutes or watch the entire game.

Comment

It'd be neat to get something going with Single Speed.

Goose Island would be a nice connection as well. Most won't catch it but the gentleman that founded Goose Island is a UNI grad
                  "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                  -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

I thought we played well. Great effort. Defended hard.

Only one thought because for some reason we can't have a band--

TURN THE DAMN MUSIC UP!!! WHY PLAY IT IF IT'S GOING TO BE AT DOCTOR'S OFFICE WAITING ROOM LEVELS!!!
                    #MACtion

Comment

Totally agree on the Music. The basketball atmosphere has gotten worse, the same fan games for how many years now?
                      The speaker system is terrible and needs to be upgraded. When the student made the $10,000 shot the place was the loudest I have heard it in a while. Also the introduction of the players is a joke. When you go to other games we don't even compare to their introduction it is embarrassing. If they expect to get more fans at game they need to do some changes. Thought there would be an upgrade this year very disappointing to see the bikes show up again. People around us made comments also. No one evens pays attention because they are tired of the same games.
                      Last edited by PanthersMBB; 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                        It'd be neat to get something going with Single Speed.

Goose Island would be a nice connection as well. Most won't catch it but the gentleman that founded Goose Island is a UNI grad
                        John Hall. Last I knew, his son was still head brewer at Goose Island (they sold majority stake to In-Bev in 2011 or so).

Other UNI grads in the business include Dave Morgan (founder, SingleSpeed, CF and the 'Loo), Jon Lewin (founder, Excelsior Brewing, up here in the western 'burbs of Minneapolis) and Kelly Larson (CFO, Summit Brewing, also up here in St. Paul).
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
                          Totally agree on the Music. The basketball atmosphere has gotten worse, the same fan games for how many years now?
                          The speaker system is terrible and needs to be upgraded. When the student made the $10,000 shot the place was the loudest I have heard it in a while. Also the introduction of the players is a joke. When you go to other games we don't even compare to their introduction it is embarrassing. If they expect to get more fans at game they need to do some changes. Thought there would be an upgrade this year very disappointing to see the bikes show up again. People around us made comments also. No one evens pays attention because they are tired of the same games.
                          I've complained about this for years. Nothing happens to keep the crowd in the game during timeouts, especially in the second half. My new favorite is the New Aldaya commercial at the Under 4 in the 2nd half. Nothing gets me up for the stretch run like a laboriously long ad for a retirement home!!
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I've complained about this for years. Nothing happens to keep the crowd in the game during timeouts, especially in the second half. My new favorite is the New Aldaya commercial at the Under 4 in the 2nd half. Nothing gets me up for the stretch run like a laboriously long ad for a retirement home!!
                            It's even worse timing considering the target audience for New Aldaya have likely all left the arena by that point in the game.

Comment

It's a shame for recruits coming in like Pickford, who see all our success in recent years, but are welcomed by a 1/3 full arena and lousy programming.

Student section was painful to look at. I still assert student tickets should be sold in packages, and pushed when signing up for residence halls before the school year. People show up when they know they put money down, instead of money sneakily being taken in tuition. Send out the tickets with a schedule poster, and you've created a tangible reminder of game dates right in someone's room.

I've honestly given up on the game day atmosphere. They haven't changed anything in years, why start now. The only thing that draws more people is if we have a ranking next to our name.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
                                It's a shame for recruits coming in like Pickford, who see all our success in recent years, but are welcomed by a 1/3 full arena and lousy programming.

Student section was painful to look at. I still assert student tickets should be sold in packages, and pushed when signing up for residence halls before the school year. People show up when they know they put money down, instead of money sneakily being taken in tuition. Send out the tickets with a schedule poster, and you've created a tangible reminder of game dates right in someone's room.

I've honestly given up on the game day atmosphere. They haven't changed anything in years, why start now. The only thing that draws more people is if we have a ranking next to our name.
                                That makes us the same as 99.99999999% of the other programs in this country
                                "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                                -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Working...
                                X