WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: UNLV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Next: UNLV

The Rebels (really drag that out for those of you who were at the tourney game in 2010) are undefeated although their only win that sticks out is a win versus Utah, and they haven't left Vegas yet. They are led by a 7' freshman Brandon McCoy. They are very tall, and appear to be very athletic.

I really hope the students and crowd show up to support this group. This could be an important win.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
      I really hope the students and crowd show up to support this group. This could be an important win.
      Maybe we could even get a pep band there!
      Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
      Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
      UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post

Maybe we could even get a pep band there!
        Students showing up is more likely than that....

Comment

Of note, UNLV has two votes in the AP poll now.

Comment

As do 3 teams we finished ahead of in the Battle for Atlantis Tournament.

Comment

I'm surprised we didn't get any votes.

I guess you just can't lose to Carolina and Villanova....
              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                I'm surprised we didn't get any votes.

I guess you just can't lose to Carolina and Villanova....
                If we beat UNLV on Wednesday, I feel we should definitely start receiving some votes.

Comment

Looks like we have a match of dueling freshman rebounders on our hands: Pickford vs. McCoy

http://mvc-sports.com/news/2017/11/2...ok-nov-27.aspx
                  Board Certified
                  Tywhon Pickford of UNI had 18 rebounds in the Panthers’ win against North Carolina State on Nov. 23 -- it’s the second-best in the league this season (Alize Johnson of Missouri State had 20 against North Dakota State on Nov. 17). Pickford’s total matches the 8th-best performance in the NCAA this year and ties UNLV’s Brandon McCoy for the highest single-game rebound total by a freshman. The 18 caroms also matches Boise State senior Chandler Hutchison for the most rebounds by a guard.

Comment

Since this is the MVC-MWC Challenge, I figure now is the time to ask this question.

What are the odds we can pull a Wichita and join the Mountain West? The MWC currently has 11 full members and one football-only member (Hawaii). That was a similar setup the AAC had when they added Wichita to enhance their basketball brand. Any chance the MWC one day does this with UNI? In this scenario we would stay FCS/MVFC in football and join the MWC in everything else.

-What are the odds the MWC decides to go to 12 in all other sports? If they do, who would the candidates be? Obviously Gonzaga first. Beyond that, who? BYU already has been in the MWC, would the league swallow their pride and let them join in everything except football? Hawaii for all-sports? Saint Mary's? UNI? Grand Canyon? NM State?

-What would it take for UNI's basketball brand to be good enough for a league like the MWC to seriously consider something like this?

-Would this even be the best move for UNI? Significantly increased travel costs for all sports in order to join a league that is probably better than the Valley, but not overwhelmingly so.

I have absolutely no evidence that this has even been a thought in the MWC's head. Purely hypothetical for fun message board's discussion's sake. Go.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                      What are the odds we can ... join the Mountain West?
                      That move makes zero sense for anyone involved. The costs would absolutely rock us, and it would only be a significant step up in football, which wouldn't be included in your scenario. It's not that much better in basketball (hell, this year, the Valley is actually ahead of the MW in the Kenpom/Sargarin/whatevers), it's arguably the same or worse in volleyball, N/A in wrestling to both conferences, and past those sports, who really cares? And why would the MW go after UNI when there are much better options in a much closer area. No, I highly, highly doubt UNI would join/be offered an invite to the Mountain West.

Comment

The Valley is actually fairly strong this year in terms of RPI. The link MernerAve provided above lists a bunch of interesting stats for this year so far. Kind of ironic considering this is the first year without WSU. Hopefully this is an indicator of how the conference could be trending, but way too early to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                          Since this is the MVC-MWC Challenge, I figure now is the time to ask this question.

What are the odds we can pull a Wichita and join the Mountain West? The MWC currently has 11 full members and one football-only member (Hawaii). That was a similar setup the AAC had when they added Wichita to enhance their basketball brand. Any chance the MWC one day does this with UNI? In this scenario we would stay FCS/MVFC in football and join the MWC in everything else.

-What are the odds the MWC decides to go to 12 in all other sports? If they do, who would the candidates be? Obviously Gonzaga first. Beyond that, who? BYU already has been in the MWC, would the league swallow their pride and let them join in everything except football? Hawaii for all-sports? Saint Mary's? UNI? Grand Canyon? NM State?

-What would it take for UNI's basketball brand to be good enough for a league like the MWC to seriously consider something like this?

-Would this even be the best move for UNI? Significantly increased travel costs for all sports in order to join a league that is probably better than the Valley, but not overwhelmingly so.

I have absolutely no evidence that this has even been a thought in the MWC's head. Purely hypothetical for fun message board's discussion's sake. Go.
                          If the offer came, we'd go in a second.

The difference in exposure would be too much to turn down. Most every football and basketball game on National TV, not the internet, is a massive advantage. My biggest concern works be the time zone difference. We'd have lots of 8:00 and 9:00 starts.

The only way we can even start to have this discussion is if Hawaii leaves the league. There's no way this move can happen without football.

Long term it's probably right for us, no idea how the Mountain West would feel.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Late night reminder that tickets are only $5 for GA seats through today (Cyber Monday). Cost returns to normal prices at midnight. Online sales only.

We really need a strong turnout for this game. Remember that keeping strong fan support helps the program keep coaches and attract athletes.
                            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

If the offer came, we'd go in a second.

The difference in exposure would be too much to turn down. Most every football and basketball game on National TV, not the internet, is a massive advantage. My biggest concern works be the time zone difference. We'd have lots of 8:00 and 9:00 starts.

The only way we can even start to have this discussion is if Hawaii leaves the league. There's no way this move can happen without football.

Long term it's probably right for us, no idea how the Mountain West would feel.
                              So lets say, hypothetically, we win the Valley this year and make the NCAA Tournament. Then next year we do the same and go on a run to the Sweet 16. We are ranked in the top 20 preseason. The MWC continues to be just "OK" but not up to their recent standards of being a 3-4 bid league. They want to rejuvenate their basketball brand like the AAC did. They call Gonzaga to do their due diligence and get turned down. They aren't willing to talk to BYU until they are willing to bring football back too. They like UNI because of the basketball success over the last two decades, the investment in the program, the success, and the fact that they're a regional public school like many of their members. They call up David Harris and say "We don't have interest in your FCS football program, but we want your men's basketball team. We want you to be the 12th member in all other sports." You can continue football at the FCS level in a Villanova-like capacity. Do you take the offer or do you turn it down and stay in the MVC. Is it an all-sports or no-sports proposition?

Comment

Working...
                              X