WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evansville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Have you seen Juwan shoot lately? We were better with hunter at point. agreed on Klint and Koch. Offense is better without them playing. Pickford is shooting terrible though and I like him a lot.
    I've watched him shoot all year and it hasn't been good. He still manages to find a way into the lane and find open shooters. Rhodes doesn't have that ability and isn't any better from 3 than Juwan. I can understand starting Rhodes in the 2nd half to send a message, but to bench Juwan the entire half when no one is scoring is asinine.

Comment

Other noticable thing is that this team flat doesn't like each other. Body language is terrible. Klint is constantly screaming at people and that doesn't work when your game doesn't back it up.

Juwan's dad hasn't been able to be an adult on Twitter for two years, so what's he saying in private?

#MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        Other noticable thing is that this team flat doesn't like each other. Body language is terrible. Klint is constantly screaming at people and that doesn't work when your game doesn't back it up.

Juwan's dad hasn't been able to be an adult on Twitter for two years, so what's he saying in private?
        it would be bad to lose one of the few athletes on the team, he has been bad this year but at least he has upside. Frankly some of them have little upside and shouldn't be playing Division 1.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

I've watched him shoot all year and it hasn't been good. He still manages to find a way into the lane and find open shooters. Rhodes doesn't have that ability and isn't any better from 3 than Juwan. I can understand starting Rhodes in the 2nd half to send a message, but to bench Juwan the entire half when no one is scoring is asinine.
          Hunter is 37% from 3. Juwan 26%. I mean Juwan shows some very good things and promise including D and I don't want this to be a session bashing him. But more Juwan shooting does not solve this teams problems no matter what his Dad posts,

Comment

This was an issue going back to last year with Klint yelling at people and not being able to back it up. He's been absolutely torched several times this year, but is still quick to jump on everyone else. You can also see the offensive system is doing nothing to engage the future of the program. The young guys, McCloud, Brown, Pickford and Phyfe all seem to get along well on the floor, it's the seniors that don't appear to be too well liked.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

This was an issue going back to last year with Klint yelling at people and not being able to back it up. He's been absolutely torched several times this year, but is still quick to jump on everyone else. You can also see the offensive system is doing nothing to engage the future of the program. The young guys, McCloud, Brown, Pickford and Phyfe all seem to get along well on the floor, it's the seniors that don't appear to be too well liked.
              At this point, what would it hurt to try the younger guys, another loss? Clearly the seniors are not contributing consistently enough and at this point I think loyalty is overriding the tough decision of taking minutes away from your seniors.

Comment

Blake Simmons has 200 more career points than Bennett Koch.

Let that sink in.
                #MACtion

Comment

Maybe I'm being dramatic, but this massacre of a season is on the coaches. Juwan is 100% a confidence guy. I know the PTL is a completely different world, but he averaged 20 ppg and shot it well from 3 last summer. Maybe he just struggles under pressure, maybe the coaches are just handcuffing guys and won't just let them play their game. I'm betting on the latter. I think that's part of the reason we very rarely get much offensive production from underclassmen.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

And we are now all but locked into Thursday night in St. Louis, right?

Comment

Blake Simmons has 200 more career points than Bennett Koch.

Let that sink in.
                      Blake Simmons can shoot. No one on our team can currently.

This is so depressing at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                        Maybe I'm being dramatic, but this massacre of a season is on the coaches. Juwan is 100% a confidence guy. I know the PTL is a completely different world, but he averaged 20 ppg and shot it well from 3 last summer. Maybe he just struggles under pressure, maybe the coaches are just handcuffing guys and won't just let them play their game. I'm betting on the latter. I think that's part of the reason we very rarely get much offensive production from underclassmen.
                        I mean I think the pace of play and being afraid to take an early shot is part of it. But we miss a lot of open shots as well. idk everything is a mess

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                          Yeah but who is the last good point guard you saw who lacked confidence and struggled under pressure.

Confidence and toughness under pressure are pre-requisites for the job.

Now...I agree if you're telling a kid not to shoot, that's a problem. You can't let 5 guys guard 4.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by unifan View Post
                            And we are now all but locked into Thursday night in St. Louis, right?
                            We're 2 games out of 6th with 7 to play. We also have home games left with the 3 teams currently tied for 6th. We obviously need to play better, but we're not locked into Thursday yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

I mean I think the pace of play and being afraid to take an early shot is part of it. But we miss a lot of open shots as well. idk everything is a mess
                              It's easy to defend a team that can't shoot. It's even easier to defend a team that makes very little effort to score during the first 15-20 seconds of a possession. Teams seem to know UNI is going to slow it down and they can rest a for most of a defensive possession and lock in for the final 10 seconds. You are right that it is all a mess and yet the staff trots out the same set of plays game after game.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Yeah but who is the last good point guard you saw who lacked confidence and struggled under pressure.

Confidence and toughness under pressure are pre-requisites for the job.

Now...I agree if you're telling a kid not to shoot, that's a problem. You can't let 5 guys guard 4.
                                That's my point exactly. I have a hard time seeing a D1 recruit struggle under the pressure vs teams like Valpo, Evansville and Southern Illinois. There is no pressure against teams like that unless he's worried that he has to play perfectly or else he'll spend the last 25 minutes on the bench.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X