WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has apathy set in on UNI basketball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has apathy set in on UNI basketball?

The season ended and, on a relative scale, you can hear a pin drop on this board. Back in the day the one shred of enjoyment I got out of frustrating UNI losses was to come here and watch the Chicken Littles fight with the Polly Positives (ok, and sometimes participate). But now you can't really even find that. And rarely are there even threads of much on-court substance beyond the in-gamers. Interest seems as low as I can remember since the advent of PN.

And home game attendance dropped to the lowest in the history of the McLeod - which does include some not spectacular years - suggesting that apathy has also set in outside of the PN bubble.

I know, for me, as crazy as it sounds, I've never recovered from that final minute vs A&M. I just can't find it in me to get overly worked up anymore.

What's everyone else's excuse?

And should we be worried about the product on the court moving forward?
    Last edited by UNI MadCat; 03-02-2018, 04:01 PM.

I don't think it's directly related to apathy. I know several people that used to post on here regularly that just don't find time to do the message board thing anymore. They would rather be engaged on Twitter than on message boards.

I'm not worried about the product moving forward. The only way I would worry is if funding and donations start drastically decreasing, which so far, hasn't been the case.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Honestly, we've been spoiled. When is the last time a UNI team struggled for so long? This is definitely the most frustrating season that I can remember because the OOC success. The conference struggles were just unexplainable and ridiculously frustrating. There were pretty of people here during the success, they'll probably be back when the success comes back.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

We should all be concerned. The product on the court was unwatchable for most of the season. I have been a season ticket holder (3 seats) since the McLeod Center has opened and I am seriously considering (for the first time) my renewal. I drive over 200 miles round trip to see the Panthers and I have been a huge fan since the Eldon Miller days, but I have nearly had enough. Somebody tell me why I should continue to be patient.

Comment

A.J. Green. I think he is just the shot in the arm this program needs. If he shows up and then somehow regresses offensively and the team continues to hover at .500, then we've got a problem. Unless that happens, I continue to remain optimistic and excited.
          Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
          Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
          - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
            A.J. Green. I think he is just the shot in the arm this program needs. If he shows up and then somehow regresses offensively and the team continues to hover at .500, then we've got a problem. Unless that happens, I continue to remain optimistic and excited.
            Obviously, I've considered that, but he can't do it alone.

Comment

I don't care about your apathy thread!

Comment

Green is good but you need more. You saw it today, Loyola had athleticism and uni could get to the rim. The offense turned to launching bombs.

Pretty simple, get some players. 10 role players doesn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                  I don't care about your apathy thread!
                  Agreed. I am apathetic about this thread.
                  "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think we'll be fine next year, especially if we can get a serviceble big. Isaiah made big strides this year, Tywhon and Phyfe have full years under their belts. It hurts to lose Carlson and Koch, but when they weren't on, the whole team suffered. And I just feel like our ball movement was much better this year when they weren't on the floor - which opens up a lot of things. Again maybe wishful thinking, but I really like the lineup of...

AJ/Juwan
                    Wyatt/Spencer
                    Brown
                    Tywhon/McDonnell
                    Phyfe

Add another guy at the 5 and I really like it.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

We got 3 schollys. Probably 4 bc Juwan is pribably leaving. If we do something with them maybe we’ve got something.

Comment

I think the face lift to PN has played a role in this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Schack View Post
                          We should all be concerned. The product on the court was unwatchable for most of the season. I have been a season ticket holder (3 seats) since the McLeod Center has opened and I am seriously considering (for the first time) my renewal. I drive over 200 miles round trip to see the Panthers and I have been a huge fan since the Eldon Miller days, but I have nearly had enough. Somebody tell me why I should continue to be patient.
                          AJ Green is why you should have some faith. Brown and Pickford looked decent during the tourney, and I think another year for Phyfe will help him develop.

Comment

It’s kind of crazy to see how good of transfers and JUCO guys land at other Valley schools. Seems like we could be 1 or 2 guys away from having something here. The schollys are open but something needs to be done with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                              I think the face lift to PN has played a role in this as well.
                              not sure I understand why that would cause people to stop caring about UNI basketball

Comment

Working...
                              X