WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA and NIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CyCarp
    replied
    Originally posted by sivert View Post
    Right - Loyola isn't just passing up bad shots. They are constantly working with and without the ball. Not unusual for them to drive into the paint 3, 4, 5 times, each time passing it out and then around the perimeter a couple times in one possession until finally they get a good look.
    They must have gotten a dozen wide open layups after their O is already set this tourney. Really impressive. It's one thing UNI had practically no chance of doing with Bennett in the game last year. Not bashing Bennett, just going it's something we see more of next season. I feel like it is one thing we saw on occasion with McDonnell in the game.

Leave a comment:

• sivert
    replied
    Right - Loyola isn't just passing up bad shots. They are constantly working with and without the ball. Not unusual for them to drive into the paint 3, 4, 5 times, each time passing it out and then around the perimeter a couple times in one possession until finally they get a good look.

Leave a comment:

• ubuntuCAT
    replied
    Watching Loyola made me think of the main difference between their team and UNI the last couple years.

Loyola will pass up a good shot several times to get a great shot.

UNI will pass up a good shot several times to get a bad shot.

Leave a comment:

• panthergirl123
    replied
    I am guessing alternate plans will be made. Highly doubt cancellation.

Leave a comment:

• in_the_stands
    replied
    Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

softball also has practices scheduled in there, I believe. And there is also a USA Wrestling event later this week/next weekend.
    Besides the fact that Loyola isn't going to want to travel 4+ hours just to practice in a dome that is totally different than the dome they will be playing in.
    Guessing if the Dome isn't available for the weekend, the softball series with MSU will be canceled unless they can line up a field somewhere that missed the recent snow. (And the way they played at Evansville that might not be a bad thing.)

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Spring football practice begins tomorrow. After all the criticism of UNI football on PN lately, one can only imagine the outcry of giving up practice area by putting down a basketball court in the Dome to help Loyola!
    softball also has practices scheduled in there, I believe. And there is also a USA Wrestling event later this week/next weekend.
    Besides the fact that Loyola isn't going to want to travel 4+ hours just to practice in a dome that is totally different than the dome they will be playing in.

Leave a comment:

• Panther AC
    replied
    Originally posted by catsize View Post
    David Harris should put out an invitation to Porter to bring the team over to Cedar Falls. We could set up a court in the Dome and let them practice shooting with those infinite backdrop views they will get playing in a dome in San Antonio. Might gte them away from the media madness a little as well.
    Spring football practice begins tomorrow. After all the criticism of UNI football on PN lately, one can only imagine the outcry of giving up practice area by putting down a basketball court in the Dome to help Loyola!

Leave a comment:

• Neighbor
    replied
    Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
    , did I hear a Carson Shanks mention last night?.
    . Correct. Carson Shanks got in the game for garbage minute last night. What did Garth say? Thank God for unanswered prayers... Carson was a 7' that never developed.

Leave a comment:

• sivert
    replied
    Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I have no idea if you're serious but why would you not embrace the attention and why would Porter get into his guys' heads by saying where you're going to play is totally different?

Norman Dale had it right.
    Interesting take. You and Dale might be right.

I do wonder what a team is allowed to do to help a Conference member. If we scouted Michigan and looked around the conference for similar players (who could scout-simulate Michigan) and sent those guys from various schools to Chicago for a workout with Loyola, are there rules against that?

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by catsize View Post
    David Harris should put out an invitation to Porter to bring the team over to Cedar Falls. We could set up a court in the Dome and let them practice shooting with those infinite backdrop views they will get playing in a dome in San Antonio. Might gte them away from the media madness a little as well.
    I have no idea if you're serious but why would you not embrace the attention and why would Porter get into his guys' heads by saying where you're going to play is totally different?

Norman Dale had it right.

Leave a comment:

• catsize
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    It's the same with any school - if you win, people will show up. Even the small schools, people wool jump one the bandwagon just because they can. Hell, look at the attention this Loyola team is getting, I've seen tweets from the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, multiple pro golfers, and other famous people. A lot of these people probably barely even realized there was a Loyola school in Chicago. One another thing, did I hear a Carson Shanks mention last night? I completely forgot (or didn't realize) he was with Loyola. I knew he went to Utah St then North Dakota. A lot of people were bummed when he didn't come here out of HS.

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    A quick read of the Wikipedia article on LUC (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyo...ersity_Chicago)
    Undergrad, Law School, Med School. This success will make the city cheer for a moment, but it will also activate a lot of well paid graduates. They have a high ceiling in terms of support.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a nearly sold out Gentile Arena next year.
    Getting the grads and their families enthused is the key. Things like their current run are the best way to do that. It’s not the average Chicagoan you’re after, it’s your alumni base and those associated. To sustain it, you need to keep yourself nationally relevant. FInal Fours every year isn’t realistic, but at least in the conversation for making the tourney, mock brackets, being ranked occasionally, near/at the top of the conference, beating name teams in the non-conference, etc.

I lived there when Gary Barnett turned around Northwestern in football. Grads started popping up all over to support them. The same thing has happened in other cities - the where of it isn’t important. Drake really ignited fan support when Keno had that run a few years ago, but they obviously went in to the toilet after and lost their momentum. Nico started to get it back last year, but who knows now.

Leave a comment:

• Khan4Cats
    replied
    Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Are we even going after the same players? Example...was Krutwig even on Jake’s radar? Let alone Townes, or some of the other 6’5ish athletic guys they have??? If you detect a note of negative sarcasm in my post, you’d be correct.
    Yes, we were after Krutwig-went to same school as Johnny Moran. But we also had Phyfe committed and 3 senior posts. Was a hard sell.

We are on Christian Braun as well for 2019. We have offered his brother Parker for this spring.

There have been others-as is typical that we cross paths with many other conference teams.

Leave a comment:

• UNIChippewa
    replied
    A quick read of the Wikipedia article on LUC (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyo...ersity_Chicago)
    Undergrad, Law School, Med School. This success will make the city cheer for a moment, but it will also activate a lot of well paid graduates. They have a high ceiling in terms of support.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a nearly sold out Gentile Arena next year.
    Didn't Max Martino from our 2014-15 team get accepted to law school at Loyola?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X