WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA and NIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a run. Good for them and good for the entire Valley. Kind of crazy they can get to the championship game without playing a 1 or 2 seed.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
      But making it to the Final Four isn't a bad run.
      That is putting it mildly. This is a GREAT run for them and the Valley. The storylines the media can sell are numerous. First, you have the coach who is looking for redemption. Second, you have the high school teammates who are trying to win a college championship together. Finally, Sister Jean the ultimate superfan. At 98, her spirit is inspirational.

It is great for the Valley because with the departure of several high-profile teams there has been a lot of gloom and doom predictions about the conference. This will help keep the profile of the conference out there and seen as highly competitive.

Comment

Thanks Loyola!

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...590692352?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post
          Unless they changed the payout rules, I think his math is off. Teams playing in the "first four" games get a "unit" of the basketball payout, So the Pac-12 would have gotten 3 units, or $4.92M.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            Loyola's success gives them a recruiting boost, which makes recruiting tougher for UNI. But I really don't think it is going to make it tougher for MVC teams to get at-large bids. Yes, the power conferences have an edge in that regard, but that's always been the case. Runs like these aren't going to change it one way or the other.
            Are we even going after the same players? Example...was Krutwig even on Jake’s radar? Let alone Townes, or some of the other 6’5ish athletic guys they have??? If you detect a note of negative sarcasm in my post, you’d be correct.

Comment

Happy for these guys. When they joined the conference many ppl wondered why they were added and they sure put that in everyones face with this run. Great job repping the Valley and lets keep this going by us getting our s*&t together.

Comment

I wish UNI played Florida St. two years ago. They gave up down 4 with 11 seconds left. Very odd to say the least.

Comment

I don't understand why they didn't foul either. They simply gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                    I wish UNI played Florida St. two years ago. They gave up down 4 with 11 seconds left. Very odd to say the least.
                    Agreed. Loyola vs Michigan will be interesting. Krutwig gets a test vs Teske, and does Loyola have a guy to guard Wagner??? Note it’s VVagner - any team with a good player named after a dead, German, fascist composer of opera in the 1800’s deserves to lose.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the MVC is going to have the best winning percentage of any conference at 80% or better. I'll let someone who likes researching such things verify that.

Good good good for Loyola and the MVC. We have very little chance of getting more than one team in the tourney anymore, but having a conference team make the final four can only help those chances, not hurt them.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

So does this mean that the MVC has in fact captured the Chicago market? Moser keeps saying how the whole city has rallied behind them. Not sure to what extent it’s true. On one hand, they finished dead last in the MVC in home attendance this year at 2405 per game so they’ve got a long way to go in that department, we’ll see how much that changes after this run. On the other hand, they are in a huge market with lots of talent, which mostly gets recruited to play outside of Chicago due to traditionally uninspiring options there (DePaul, UIC, LUC). Not saying they’ll start getting the best of the best, but if this run gets some of that talent excited to stay and play there, watch out.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                          So does this mean that the MVC has in fact captured the Chicago market? Moser keeps saying how the whole city has rallied behind them. Not sure to what extent it’s true. On one hand, they finished dead last in the MVC in home attendance this year at 2405 per game so they’ve got a long way to go in that department, we’ll see how much that changes after this run. On the other hand, they are in a huge market with lots of talent, which mostly gets recruited to play outside of Chicago due to traditionally uninspiring options there (DePaul, UIC, LUC). Not saying they’ll start getting the best of the best, but if this run gets some of that talent excited to stay and play there, watch out.
                          I think Loyola is giving Chicago a rooting interest in the tournament, but I doubt they are creating many new season long fans who are going to care next January.

Comment

A quick read of the Wikipedia article on LUC (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyo...ersity_Chicago)
                            Undergrad, Law School, Med School. This success will make the city cheer for a moment, but it will also activate a lot of well paid graduates. They have a high ceiling in terms of support.
                            I wouldn't be surprised to see a nearly sold out Gentile Arena next year.

Comment

With Depaul in the dumpster of the Big East, Loyola may pick up some quality recruits from the Chicago area if they can sustain success.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                                A quick read of the Wikipedia article on LUC (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyo...ersity_Chicago)
                                Undergrad, Law School, Med School. This success will make the city cheer for a moment, but it will also activate a lot of well paid graduates. They have a high ceiling in terms of support.
                                I wouldn't be surprised to see a nearly sold out Gentile Arena next year.
                                Didn't Max Martino from our 2014-15 team get accepted to law school at Loyola?

Comment

Working...
                                X