WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA and NIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
    The AAC has some nerve thinking themselves a "power 6."
    Haha. 1 Valley team as an 11 seed gets just as many wins (and is still playing) as 3 AAC teams - seeded 2, 4, and 6? Yea, the AAC is clearly so superior...
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
      The AAC has some nerve thinking themselves a "power 6."
      Cincinnati busted my bracket, now I'm madder than a bastard alligator at that conference.

Comment

The Valley actually set themselves up to have multiple bids this year with decent non conference success, however when we tanked in conference and Missouri State did the same, and their was a complete cluster in the final standings it was not going to happen. The Valley needs to continue to have good success out of conference, and have 2 teams separate themselves from the pack. That will get 2 teams in, and if those teams have success we may be able to get back to 3 or even 4. The biggest challenge will be the big school bias that has been created the last 8-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
          The biggest challenge will be the big school bias that has been created the last 8-10 years.
          This. I don't have data, but I feel like we're not seeing as many mid-major at-large bids as we used to, and not for lack of good mid-major teams. Part of it is probably due to all the conference realignment in the last several years. With multiple bids going to high-mid-major conferences like the American and the Big East, we don't see a lot of respect for conferences like the Valley, despite good computer metrics (8th conference in RPI). And teams like Syracuse, who didn't earn an at-large bid but got one anyone, having success in the tournament will probably solidify the committee's desire to favor big schools over mid-majors, despite the success of teams like Loyola, Marshall, and UMBC.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure we'll ever see more than 2 bids from the Valley unless multiple teams go nuts on tough non-conference schedules. But even so, a win over Florida and dominating the Valley only got Loyola an 11 seed this year.

Comment

As I said the big thing will be getting respect once in the tournament, that is part of the reason Loyola was an 11 seed. If you put UNI on that resume it probably gets an 8 or 9 maybe even higher. Once you establish yourself it is easier to get better seeding. Our 2016 team had some impressive wins but also some mind blowing losses, but we received an 11 seed because we are a more known program. This is what the Valley needs, Loyola winning is good for everyone in the conference. Yes it may bring them a few more recruits but it is also showing that the Valley is still strong even without Creighton and Wichita.

Comment

Krugwit is going to be a terror to the rest of the Valley over the next 3 years...
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Did I hear the announcer say all 5 starters for Nevada were transfers?

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                  Did I hear the announcer say all 5 starters for Nevada were transfers?
                  You heard correctly. 2x NC State, 1x SIU, 1x Purdue, 1x Iowa State

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                    Krugwit is going to be a terror to the rest of the Valley over the next 3 years...
                    Agreed. He’s got good moves and is pretty agile as a true Freshman, along with good touch. Get him in a D1 strength program for a year or two, and look out.

Porter had put together a couple of really solid recruiting classes on paper that last two years. We’re seeing evidence it was not BS.

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post

You heard correctly. 2x NC State, 1x SIU, 1x Purdue, 1x Iowa State
                      WOW!!!! How many seniors?

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post

WOW!!!! How many seniors?
                        Out of the five, only two. Their three best, IMO, are all juniors. If they all come back, they will be loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post

Out of the five, only two. Their three best, IMO, are all juniors. If they all come back, they will be loaded.
                          No kidding!! Thanks!

Comment

K-State/Loyola-Chi Elite 8, just as everyone predicted.

Comment

the 4 teams on the left half of the Elite Eight: an 11 seed, two 9 seeds, and a 3 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                the 4 teams on the left half of the Elite Eight: an 11 seed, two 9 seeds, and a 3 seed.
                                Unprecedented job of seeding by the committee. The good news for LU is if they make the final four and go undefeated next year they will for sure get a single digit seed. Unless there are just too many 6-8th place P5 teams that are more deserving.
                                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                                X