WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA and NIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anderjao View Post

And teams like Syracuse, who didn't earn an at-large bid but got one anyone, having success in the tournament will probably solidify the committee's desire to favor big schools over mid-majors, despite the success of teams like Loyola, Marshall, and UMBC.
    Seems as if Syracuse is a really good tournament team but a mediocre regular season team. In the regular season there is more time to prepare for their unique zone with freakishly long defenders, and in particular in conference most of the coaches and many of the players have experience against it. In the tourney, especially when they’re in the play-in game as they’ve been a couple times, teams never have more than 2 days to prepare for them until the 2nd weekend. So I’m predicting
    they go down tomorrow, particularly since Coach K doesn’t even need the 4-5 days to prepare for them.

Comment

Has anyone watched any of the NIT games to assess how the experimental rules are working? The quarter concept, wider lane, longer 3 pt line, and 20 second shot clock off offensive rebound (last one is a no-brainer)... I'm interested to see if anyone has noticed any change in the flow of the game as a result.
      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
        Has anyone watched any of the NIT games to assess how the experimental rules are working? The quarter concept, wider lane, longer 3 pt line, and 20 second shot clock off offensive rebound (last one is a no-brainer)... I'm interested to see if anyone has noticed any change in the flow of the game as a result.
        Love the deeper 3 point line and wider lane. Clears up a lot of the traffic around the bucket and cuts down further on cutters getting beat up through the middle. If they go there, they'd have to institute a defensive 3 seconds or everybody is just going to sit in a zone and artificially clog the middle.

I'm meh on quarters. I see both sides but hate that it takes away the 1-and-1. Bails out teams that don't shoot free throws well. If you go to a 1-and-1 for the 5th and 6th fouls and 2 after the 7th in each quarter, I'd be totally on board.
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
          As I said the big thing will be getting respect once in the tournament, that is part of the reason Loyola was an 11 seed. If you put UNI on that resume it probably gets an 8 or 9 maybe even higher. Once you establish yourself it is easier to get better seeding. Our 2016 team had some impressive wins but also some mind blowing losses, but we received an 11 seed because we are a more known program. This is what the Valley needs, Loyola winning is good for everyone in the conference. Yes it may bring them a few more recruits but it is also showing that the Valley is still strong even without Creighton and Wichita.
          What it shows is Loyola in Chicago turning into a "beast."

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

What it shows is Loyola in Chicago turning into a "beast."
            Going to be tougher for us to recruit Chicagoland/Illinois (Johnny Moran, Robert Knar from there?)

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
              As I said the big thing will be getting respect once in the tournament, that is part of the reason Loyola was an 11 seed. If you put UNI on that resume it probably gets an 8 or 9 maybe even higher. Once you establish yourself it is easier to get better seeding. Our 2016 team had some impressive wins but also some mind blowing losses, but we received an 11 seed because we are a more known program. This is what the Valley needs, Loyola winning is good for everyone in the conference. Yes it may bring them a few more recruits but it is also showing that the Valley is still strong even without Creighton and Wichita.
              I agree. Personally, I am going to keep cheering for Loyola as long as they are in the tournament.

Comment

Fun watching Loyola but them getting good is not good news for UNI.

The NCAA and the big boys don't want the little guys anymore. It will be damn difficult for the MVC to be a two bid league again. Having Loyola get WSU type good just hurts UNI chances going forward.

I hope the NCAA realizes the "Little guy" is what makes the tournament fun and lets more in going forward.

Comment

Whatever your feeling the fans at the game were just chanting MVC. These fans who have been apart of our conference for a short time understand the conference mentality.
                  Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                    Fun watching Loyola but them getting good is not good news for UNI.

The NCAA and the big boys don't want the little guys anymore. It will be damn difficult for the MVC to be a two bid league again. Having Loyola get WSU type good just hurts UNI chances going forward.

I hope the NCAA realizes the "Little guy" is what makes the tournament fun and lets more in going forward.
                    Loyola has a ways to go before they can say that. It’s all about talent level, and WSU had some good players surrounding some NBA level prospects. Early, Baker, Fred, etc. Loyola has some good players returning, but they’ll need to build off this and crank up their recruiting to get to that next level.

Comment

Originally posted by pantherclaw View Post
                      Whatever your feeling the fans at the game were just chanting MVC. These fans who have been apart of our conference for a short time understand the conference mentality.
                      I think they may have been chanting LUC. I thought the same thing when I watched the game Thursday. I honestly don't think this hurts UNI in any way. People will say the Valley won't get 2 bids, but if you schedule tough (which we do) and win games, the bids will come.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I think they may have been chanting LUC. I thought the same thing when I watched the game Thursday. I honestly don't think this hurts UNI in any way. People will say the Valley won't get 2 bids, but if you schedule tough (which we do) and win games, the bids will come.
                        How in the hell can this hurt UNI??? This helps the image of the MVC, which in turn helps us. It’s all about NATIONAL perception.

Comment

Loyola's success gives them a recruiting boost, which makes recruiting tougher for UNI. But I really don't think it is going to make it tougher for MVC teams to get at-large bids. Yes, the power conferences have an edge in that regard, but that's always been the case. Runs like these aren't going to change it one way or the other.

Comment

Bad news though, Loyola won by more than 2 points, which means they'll lose their next game. But making it to the Final Four isn't a bad run.

Comment

Wooooo! ramblers win!
                              MVC to the Final Four!

Comment

And to think we were on short rest and played them to a 4 point game in St. Louis.

Comment

Working...
                                X