WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA and NIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right - looks to me like the motion gets the defense unsettled and they (their guard, since they're all guards) drive and
    If their defender gives them the layup, they take it (rare)
    If not, then if the weak side defender gives them the reverse, they take it (happens a lot)
    If not, then they dish to the guy outside that the weak side defender just left and (as Rima would say) Kabullseye!

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

It is hardly just on one player. It involves all 5 players being able to move, with or without the ball, to improve position, setting screens, providing cuts and outlets. stuff like that.
      Agreed, but when there's a guy who rarely gets more than 6 feet from that rim, it makes it a lot tougher.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
        I am guessing alternate plans will be made. Highly doubt cancellation.
        You are correct, series has been moved to Springfield. We already looked a bit road-weary last weekend, so I'm guessing the team isn't super-thrilled. (Apologies to all for the thread-jack.)

Comment

Unless they changed the payout rules, I think his math is off. Teams playing in the "first four" games get a "unit" of the basketball payout, So the Pac-12 would have gotten 3 units, or $4.92M.
          Gary Rima reported that this year's final four teams receive a payout of $8.2 million to be paid out over 6 years. The MVC divides that out to 12 shares. UNI's has appearances in the tournament that are is still in the 6 year window of payments per team as well as WSU's runs of the last 6 years. All of these payouts add up to a sizeable share per school.

The final two teams in the championship will not receive any additional money.

Comment

• Rima also said only the two winning teams in the "first four" earn a unit, so they are then in the round of 64.

Comment

• They get that unit for playing in the round of 64, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                Rima also said only the two winning teams in the "first four" earn a unit, so they are then in the round of 64.
                not according to most sources I've seen. All 8 teams in the "first four" games get a unit, and the four winners go on to get a second unit for their game in the round of 64.
                theoretically, if a team played in the "first four" and made it all the way to the "final four", they would get 6 units, where as most final four participants only get 5.

https://herosports.com/college-baske...onference-ahah (unfortunately, there is some annoying podcast thing that autoplays on that page, but there is a pause button a short way down)

Comment

not according to most sources I've seen. All 8 teams in the "first four" games get a unit, and the four winners go on to get a second unit for their game in the round of 64.
                  theoretically, if a team played in the "first four" and made it all the way to the "final four", they would get 6 units, where as most final four participants only get 5.

https://herosports.com/college-baske...onference-ahah (unfortunately, there is some annoying podcast thing that autoplays on that page, but there is a pause button a short way down)
                  The 16 all get a share for that round for their leagues auto qualifier money. Only the 2 winners of the at large game get shares because their league is taking its auto qualifier share somewhere esle and the First Four is not the First Round. That is my understanding.
                  #MACtion

Comment

• I haven't seen any actual sources other than speculation that back up any of your claims.
                    Everything I've seen indicates that 132 total units are given out. One for each team in every game other than the championship:
                    8+64+32+16+8+4=132

Washington Post article from 2014: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ts/ncaa-money/
                    An NCAA spreadsheet for Basketball Fund distribution from 2007 through 2012: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...nformation.pdf
                    (the field was expanded to 68 starting with the 2011 tournament)

Comment

• 2017 final four men's basketball teams each got 5 units AND $8.6 million payouts.

Comment

• This is a little off topic, but with all this "Gonzaga to the MWC" talk (basically making the exact type of move Wichita did), it has got me thinking. In those articles the MWC commish has said he has spoken with 6-or-so schools as to whether they might have interest in joining the MWC. I wonder if we were one of those schools?

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                          This is a little off topic, but with all this "Gonzaga to the MWC" talk (basically making the exact type of move Wichita did), it has got me thinking. In those articles the MWC commish has said he has spoken with 6-or-so schools as to whether they might have interest in joining the MWC. I wonder if we were one of those schools?
                          I would hope so. We'd be competitive in basketball from day one and football would be competitive in very short order.

I'd give my left, um, jewel to get into the Mountain West.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• I would think it would have been a basketball only (or rather an "everyone but football") proposition. Like they would want us to fill the 12th spot for hoops since they already have 12 for football (kind of like Wichita did and Gonzaga is doing). If we moved everything else to the MWC and stayed in the MVFC for football would you do it? If we had to move football into the Big Sky, would you still join the Mountain West? What if football had to be an FCS independent? What if we had to cut football? Just hypothetically speaking of course.

I would say hard yes, hard yes, tentative yes, no (although the smart business decision would probably be yes, yes, yes, yes).
                            Last edited by UNIGrainer; 03-28-2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Mountain West would be nice, especially if Gonzaga goes there too, I can't imagine we'd move all sports though. Travel costs would increase big time. Would there be an increased revenue to help cover those costs? I know MWC has a tv channel and things, just not sure how much money that generates for the schools. Either way, the closest MWC school is probably Colorado St or Wyoming, we might be a tough sell to them.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Yes, Yes, No, No. FCS Independent would be interesting. We can't seem to schedule 2 non-con games a year, I wonder how we would do at scheduling 10 or 11.
                                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                                X