WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reliving the Worst Collapse in March Madness History...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, VBF. It was a very painful ending in so many ways. My little guy is a pretty ardent UNI fan, so the loss at the end of the game was still the worst part of it.

Comment

Yeah but never forget Louisville lost a game, in regulation, on which they had a 4 point lead with .9 seconds left.
      "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
      -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

I was there... from the time the final buzzer sounded until we stopped for gas 2 1/2 hours later, not a word was spoken between my son-in-law & myself. Absolute silence. DEAD SILENCE! Still puts a knot in my stomach to this day every time I hear mention of it.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
          Yeah but never forget Louisville lost a game, in regulation, on which they had a 4 point lead with .9 seconds left.
          I still think ours is worse
          "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

A&M nearly 7 minutes into their game...zero points.
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

I still think ours is worse
              "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."

Comment

Comment

Comment

I think he's referring more to Louisville's situation being a fluke thing that happened in just one second of game time (a couple of plays), as opposed to our A&M situation being more where about a dozen things in a row had to happen just so for that outcome.

Ours is clearly more excruciating since if any of those dozen things doesn't happen, we win that game and we're not talking about this now.
                    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                    - George Halas

Comment

Maybe Virginia getting destroyed by UMBC will take attention off of this going forward.

Comment

It's by far ours. While Theirs was a fluke, it was just 2 bad plays in a row that caused it, as to ours was a whole sequence. They fouled a 3 point shooter, and then had to deadball inbound; therefore creating an opportunity for another turnover increasing the likelihood ( yes he should have just chucked the ball across court, sound familiar?)

We were up 12 with 44 seconds left, and the only free throw that was shot was by the other team...... Yeah we turned it over 5 times, but of course they didn't miss a freakin shot which just one rebound ends the game. The odds of something like that every happening again are so close to 0 that the character limits on this page wouldn't allow me to show you the number.

Comment

Originally posted by Username View Post

It's by far ours. While Theirs was a fluke, it was just 2 bad plays in a row that caused it, as to ours was a whole sequence. They fouled a 3 point shooter, and then had to deadball inbound; therefore creating an opportunity for another turnover increasing the likelihood ( yes he should have just chucked the ball across court, sound familiar?)

We were up 12 with 44 seconds left, and the only free throw that was shot was by the other team...... Yeah we turned it over 5 times, but of course they didn't miss a freakin shot which just one rebound ends the game. The odds of something like that every happening again are so close to 0 that the character limits on this page wouldn't allow me to show you the number.
                          4 point lead....less than one second on the clock in regulation....ball in your hands....lose in regulation.

The only edge ours has over that in terms of "being worse" is when it happened. If that Louisville loss happens March 16th and not March 1st it's seen as the most embarrassing loss.

Comment

Don't think the odds can be that long, since there has already been a game where the level of collapse was exceeded. Can't remember the teams, but there was a thread on here about it.

Also IMO the Virginia loss yesterday was more of a collapse in it's own way. A #1 overall losing to a 16 for the first time ever, and the fact that it didn't happen in the closing seconds but rather they were pretty much dominated makes it more of a collapse not less.

GO PANTHERS!

Comment

The OP deserves at least a temporary ban for starting this thread. I only opened it so that I could get it off on my "New Posts" page. Darn, I just put it on all of yours. Now I deserve a temporary ban too!

Comment

And we even scored once in those 44 seconds!!!!

Ours is way worse because it wasn't just 2 fluke plays. It was like 18 errors in a row.
                                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Working...
                                X