WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think some people are overlooking Berhow because he has to sit this year. Kid was the best freshman scorer in a pretty darn good league. Really good get, really good class that should improve our offense immensely. Nothing against Bennett but having bigs that can be effective more than 10 feel from the bucket is a lot more traditional UNI offense where we obvioulsly don't play fast but we're crazy efficient.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by MDB View Post
      I'm confused... Why do you guys keep saying that this staff is swinging and missing? They have 3 kids coming in this summer that had High major offers (AJ, Biggie, and Berhow). Reaves had 35 offers from mostly HM schools and UNI finished in the top 3.

You guys need to realize what the staff is doing. The roster is pretty well set. It's a great roster. They don't have to use this scholarship unless there is a kid they just fall in love with.

There are still a few kids out there that I'm sure the staff is taking a strong look at.

Stop judging the staff and the class on each individual case. Look at the total picture. UNI is in good shape for the next few years.
      Good points. It's partly the nature of recruiting.

Our last 4 signees are:
      - A 4 star PG
      - A guard who we recruited out of HS and put up good numbers as a true Freshman
      - A PF. A position we desperately needed and who appears to be a good player for 2-3 years for us
      - A juco all-American/leader scorer coming in knowing he will be the backup PG

I will take that every year.

So much goes on in recruiting behind the scenes we will never know who we really missed on and how hard we recruited certain players. But take a player like Braun. If he committed when we offered people would have been (were) underwhelmed. But since then he has picked up offers from Arizona, LSU, Illinois, etc and all of a sudden these same people call it a huge miss....

2020 is where most of our recruiting efforts need to go now. That's a big class for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Hype. We had no clue Biggie and Berhow were being looked at, no chance for the hype to grow. We had been reading about and watching guys like Reaves, Chatman, Halliburton, that a Sasha kid who went to Purdue, etc for a while. Seeing tweets that Jake and staff are watching them, being in their top 4-5 schools, then they're gone. Sometimes it just feels like you're all in on a guy (which in reality is never true). At the end of the day I think it was a successful spring - and I think our staff would agree.
        Ultimately you need to take a few big swings at upper tier players. It’s the only way to advance the program, since talent and development of it are a HUGE part of winning. I’d be more concerned if we were signing nothing but guys with DII interest or offers from the Dakota schools, Western and Eastern Illinois, Nebraska Omaha, etc. That would do nothing to increase the talent level on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Our last 4 signees are:
          - A 4 star PG
          - A PF. A position we desperately needed and who appears to be a good player for 2-3 years for us

So much goes on in recruiting behind the scenes we will never know who we really missed on and how hard we recruited certain players. But take a player like Braun. If he committed when we offered people would have been (were) underwhelmed. But since then he has picked up offers from Arizona, LSU, Illinois, etc and all of a sudden these same people call it a huge miss....

2020 is where most of our recruiting efforts need to go now. That's a big class for us.
          You forgot that the last signing prior to those 4 was Pickford

Comment

I'm confused... Why do you guys keep saying that this staff is swinging and missing? They have 3 kids coming in this summer that had High major offers (AJ, Biggie, and Berhow). Reaves had 35 offers from mostly HM schools and UNI finished in the top 3.

You guys need to realize what the staff is doing. The roster is pretty well set. It's a great roster. They don't have to use this scholarship unless there is a kid they just fall in love with.

There are still a few kids out there that I'm sure the staff is taking a strong look at.

Stop judging the staff and the class on each individual case. Look at the total picture. UNI is in good shape for the next few years.
            I agree with you, I think the roster is in really good shape going forward. '19-20 is shaping up to be a really great roster especially.

But the bottom line is this, UNI has achieved a lot of great things the last 15 years, yet we are coming off of back to back terrible losing seasons. Fans are anxious, and thats understandable.
            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• The big question now is what to do with the last scholarship for next year. The positive is we have a pretty solid roster for next year, the negative is we may have gaps if injuries occur, particularly in the post.
              Options:

A) Sign the best player we can find (transfer, juco, high school) and use it. Pro: We get someone in that can at least help in practice if not games. Con: We don't have a scholly available next year as only Wyatt graduates, and we've filled his.

B) Sign a Grad transfer. Pro: Likely someone with experience who could step in right away, keeps scholly available for next year as well. Con: Don't know if chemistry will mix, are there really any that will be impactful available at this stage

C) Give the scholly to Wentzien. Pro: Someone in the program, keeps scholly available for next years recruits. Con: Doesn't add depth to roster, Money could be spent on other things even if it is not a lot

D) Don't give out a 13th scholarship this coming season. Pro: Saves $$, keeps scholly open Con: Does it really save any money or just lower what the AD borrows/transfers to support the department, doesn't add depth for this next season.
              Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
              Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
              UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

You’ll find many, and this isn’t exclusive to UNI, that simply don’t understand recruiting

Comment

• I would imagine it's still helpful to recruit the guys that go to "bigger schools" even if they don't come to UNI because it starts a relationship. For the high school guys, there's a decent chance 1 or 2 will end up not being happy with the school those chose and will look to transfer. Having the background with the player has got to put you miles ahead of everyone else in the transfer game. I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that's how we ended up with Jesperson and Wes (and probably Berhow this year).

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Our last 4 signees are:
                    - A 4 star PG

Braun is my favorite example of a “miss” and it all happened in the course of a month.

I went from being told he wasn’t that good, had no other offers, and wasn’t built to play in he MVC and his style of game couldn’t translate to a month or two later he is a massive miss to these same people because he picked up offers from Arizona, LSU, Ole Miss, Illinois.

Its almost like sometimes the people who follow recruiting the most see some things.

There is is so much that goes into recruiting that it’s tough to know who really is a miss and who isn’t.

I agree reed with the post that says we should be concerned if we are going after kids with no other offers - see that Larson kid that people were convinced was a better prospect than Braun based on his 2 low level D2 offers.

We need to swing big. We need to take chances. Taking chances also allows for connections to be built in the case of transfers - see Washpun, Berhos, Jesperson, etc.

our recruiting has been pretty dang good. Sure there are recruits that don’t pan out. There are guys we miss on that would help a bunch. There are guys that simply hit levels higher than the MVC. We are seeing UNI get into final lists with recruits at that level. That’s a massive step.

This all needs to start to translate to wins but maybe we can calm down about Reaves or Tyrese going elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Ultimately you need to take a few big swings at upper tier players. It’s the only way to advance the program, since talent and development of it are a HUGE part of winning. I’d be more concerned if we were signing nothing but guys with DII interest or offers from the Dakota schools, Western and Eastern Illinois, Nebraska Omaha, etc. That would do nothing to increase the talent level on the roster.
                      I agree 100%, I was just responding with why I think this forum looks disappointed at times - nothing against the guys we got. If we knew we were after Biggie and Berhow, I think we would have been thrilled with those signings. When they come out of nowhere, there's no "we got our guy!" moments and we don't get these guys we've been watching. But yes, I have no problem going against the P5 schools. If you want to compete with them, you gotta be able to recruit with them.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• So, question about this last scholarship. If we don't use it for next season, can we carry it forward for a year and have an extra ride that year? Or can we just use that money towards other things (travel, equipment, buy game, etc)?
                        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                          So, question about this last scholarship. If we don't use it for next season, can we carry it forward for a year and have an extra ride that year? Or can we just use that money towards other things (travel, equipment, buy game, etc)?
                          No to the first question. You only get 13 per year.

I suppose its up to Harris on what to do with any money saved. I doubt he would spend it just to spend it, but maybe there are some optional things they buy only when the money is available (which wouldn't necessarily be for men's basketball).

Comment

• I may have missed it posted earlier. Where did Juwan end up? Can’t find him on Wisconsin or Marquette’s rosters. I know he wanted to be closer to home.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
                              I may have missed it posted earlier. Where did Juwan end up? Can’t find him on Wisconsin or Marquette’s rosters. I know he wanted to be closer to home.
                              Was it UW-Milwaukee?

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
                                I may have missed it posted earlier. Where did Juwan end up? Can’t find him on Wisconsin or Marquette’s rosters. I know he wanted to be closer to home.
                                ROFL.....

Sorry not laughing at you...but the idea he could play at either of those schools.

IIRC the schools known to have contacted him were Utah Valley, Wright State, UNLV, and UW-Milwaukee. He's a Horizon level player. UNLV is the one that sticks out to me as strange, but they have/had like 7 open rides after the season and needed a PG and they saw him play in person. Granted he was like 1-6 and had 0 assists in that game, but he did play 36 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X