WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCloud Transfering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to him. Not really too surprising considering his dad and brothers comments during the season. I think a lot of us, myself included, probably set our expectations too high for him. I do think he really could have excelled next to AJ though. Hopefully we can use his opening to really help the team.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I’m shocked.

Good luck to him.
      Most importantly good luck to his family.

Comment

He suffered as a point guard by not having good shooters to pass to. A.J. might have helped . However, he was probably the poorest shooting scholarship player since Woodley back in the '90s, although Woodley was a terrific defensive player. A little better shot this past season but not much. I doubt if Jake is terribly disappointed, although you always hate to lose them. There must have been some family issues, I agree with that.

Comment

Really unfortunate. We need to find a point guard badly now.

Comment

Any grad transfers out there at PG? We need experience there next year. AJ is a pure 2 and playing him at the point is not in anyone’s best interest.

Comment

Tough deal. Hopefully he lands in a good situation that can please his dad and brother so they let the kid live and play a little bit. He could have had a nice couple years here to finish his career out, but now it's back to the drawing board at the PG position.

Comment

I really did expect this.

Since JM started sitting in early Feb with the injury, I thought he was done playing for the Panthers. Personally I think he and Jake knew at that time they were going to part company and agreed that riding out the rest of the season on the bench...but still part of the team...was the best for everyone.

​​​​​​A red shirt year probably would have been real good for JM in retrospect. In the end, I don't think he has all the tools you need to be a strong PG in the Valley...shooting, FT shooting, mental toughness, physicality. Jake gave him tons of chances...it just wasn't quite there.

And with his family situation and what they've said publicly already...which I don't blame him for...I think it's best to part company. Hope they don't screw it up for the kid again.

I'd take a look at the PG playing for Sy Chatman's Cretin-Durham Hall team as a possiblity...Ryan Larson. That is one tough kid and a slick PG.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

He's making a terrible mistake. He would have ended up having a really great career here if he would have just stuck with it.

Good luck to him. Hopefully his dad and brother find him the perfect coach and program to play for.
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                    Any grad transfers out there at PG? We need experience there next year. AJ is a pure 2 and playing him at the point is not in anyone’s best interest.
                    We need another PG but calling him a pure 2 is wrong. He's a combo guard yes but also a PG. He creates all his own shots. We need the ball in his hands

Comment

Not going to pretend to be upset with this at all. its obviously not the best considering we've spent 2 years developing this kid and he knows our system and could have helped us next year. when you have a kid with his ability on the offensive side of the ball it really doesn't help the other players on the floor as they don't have to play him tight. I completely understand we had no one around him who he could dish to for open shots but he had the ability on O of Ted. If you cant shoot jump shots as a PG you at least need to be able to drive on a consistent basis to help keep the D honest. Juwan was a average PG who we will miss because of lack of players in that role but not because of a major loss in talent. His family was disrespectful and im happy to have that out of the panther family.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

We need another PG but calling him a pure 2 is wrong. He's a combo guard yes but also a PG. He creates all his own shots. We need the ball in his hands
                        OK, I will restate. AJ and UNI will be much more successful if he can play at the two and is not forced to bring the ball up. He can play the point, but I feel he is much better suited in college to play on the wing.

Comment

I enjoyed some of the highlights that he gave us but I was consistently disappointed with how few and far between those highlights were. Kid shouldve been a stud.

Comment

Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                            Not going to pretend to be upset with this at all. its obviously not the best considering we've spent 2 years developing this kid and he knows our system and could have helped us next year. when you have a kid with his ability on the offensive side of the ball it really doesn't help the other players on the floor as they don't have to play him tight. I completely understand we had no one around him who he could dish to for open shots but he had the ability on O of Ted. If you cant shoot jump shots as a PG you at least need to be able to drive on a consistent basis to help keep the D honest. Juwan was a average PG who we will miss because of lack of players in that role but not because of a major loss in talent. His family was disrespectful and im happy to have that out of the panther family.
                            Agree. I think Miles Wentzein can fill in a good number of minutes at PG next year and we'll be fine

Miles is bigger, stronger, shoots it better from the field and the FT line. And he's a good defender.

Guessing Miles is the walk on getting the scholly next year.

I am not upset about this at all.
                            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

This was so predictable. From starting every single game to done, in the blink of an eye. I would not be shocked if the family issues made more waves within the locker room than any of us knew. We can't have a house divided with this program.
                              That said, I agree with the posters above; his inability to shoot (especially free throws) was a liability for our entire offense. We were clicking much better with Rhodes running the show. A ball-handling, distributing PG who can make free throws and hit the occasional 3ball shouldn't be too difficult to find. And honestly, I don't think we need it this season with AJ, Wyatt, Spencer and Wentzien.

Comment

Working...
                              X