WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCloud Transfering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said a month ago I believed Juwan would be leaving in it would be UWM with UIC or UWGB being his only other options that might look at him.

On the top of is AJ or a point or not. Doesn’t matter. Jakes system literally ignores “positions”. I won’t go into it but the idea of positions, and numbers, is actually 100% made up for fans from the 60s or 70s to help fans learn the game at that point. With how players have evolved positions are meaningless. Offenses have evolved positions out of mattering.

Kids are are so athletic and so good at ball handling that within a system it doesn’t really matter.

Comment

It's been a very busy week for me, so I didn't have the time to comment on it before, but I think this transfer, while maybe not being significant from a numbers/stats standpoint, is still is significant one from a program standpoint, and a disappointing one at that IMO.

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't Juwan a Top 150 level recruit? I feel like I remember him being pretty highly rated, and that it was a good "get" for us. I know his freshmen year he had his struggles, and also had them this last season, but he also had a pretty solid non-conference season as well (of course, the same thing can be said of the whole team.

Anyway, best of luck to him, wherever he goes. I am disappointed that he will no longer be a Panther though, and I hope we can land someone to be a good replacement for him.

Comment

Coaches need to do a better job evaluating a recruit's shot, both in form and ability (shooting percentage) before making an offer. We've had several recruits who were decent shooters in HS come in and unable to knock down shots at the DI level. Changing a player's shooting form when they're in college is really difficult, time consuming and usually ineffective.
        First, if a recruit has form shooting from below his eyes, this will be a problem when he gets to the next level.
        Second, if his makes are generally wide open looks, this is also a red flag.
        Third, if his shots mainly come from a pass instead of creating his own space and open look, this could also point to a future one dimensional player.
        Lastly, if a recruit is under 6'3'' he's gonna have a much harder time getting a good look at the DI level, so we can't take too many chances with shorter guards who have some of the above flaws. A 6'7'' guy such as Brown will have an easier time finding an open look than someone like Spencer, thus a guy like Spencer must have superior skill level and form to be expected to produce at the same level in DI (from a jump shot perspective).

Some of this was evident with Juwan, not all of it, but we've seen these before with a number of guys over the years. It's why I'm so excited for AJ. But we need to do a better job evaluating this from a recruitment standpoint, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
          I said a month ago I believed Juwan would be leaving in it would be UWM with UIC or UWGB being his only other options that might look at him.

On the top of is AJ or a point or not. Doesn’t matter. Jakes system literally ignores “positions”. I won’t go into it but the idea of positions, and numbers, is actually 100% made up for fans from the 60s or 70s to help fans learn the game at that point. With how players have evolved positions are meaningless. Offenses have evolved positions out of mattering.

Kids are are so athletic and so good at ball handling that within a system it doesn’t really matter.
          Sure, but the players ability to win one on one matchups (or not) isn’t any less important. Position aside, you still need at least one guy who can blow by people and create chaos for the opposing D. That’s one way to create open looks for your slower footed long range shooters, who lack the ability to create that space by themselves. That’s why our best teams have had a Wes/Kwazdo type player. Hell, go back to Dale Turner, same thing.

Comment

I agree completely and I think this is why we got better with Hunter towards the end of the year, he knew his strengths and maximized them, Juwan never really figured this out.

Comment

What are we hearing from Jawan's dad? I would assume that he is behind the move.

Seems like we heard too much during the season . . . and not-so-much now.

Is Jawan still on campus? Must be a bit awkward for him to still be here to finish the semester. Hope he makes the best of it. And that his dad gives him some more space to be himself.

Comment

His dad and brother are all over twitter pumping him up telling him to prove other coaches wrong. Prove haters wrong. So and and so fourth. Multiple shots taken at Jake though directly mentioning him and subcontext.

Im sure he’s finishing the semester for reasons of staying eligible.

He likely jas has very little contact with most members of the team anymore for various reasons I’d assume.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                  His dad and brother are all over twitter pumping him up telling him to prove other coaches wrong. Prove haters wrong. So and and so fourth. Multiple shots taken at Jake though directly mentioning him and subcontext.

Im sure he’s finishing the semester for reasons of staying eligible.

He likely jas has very little contact with most members of the team anymore for various reasons I’d assume.
                  The dad and/or brother thing where they’re really visible on social media never ends well for the well known son or brother. The UCLA father/a$$clown of those gifted players is a great example still playing out. Two other good examples from pro sports - Ozzie Guillen’s son and Derek Rose’s brother. Both did their famous relatives no favors, and caused big issues with their team’s management.

Comment

Juwan to Mankato. A D2 program. Good luck to him.

But it should highlight one of the biggest issues from the last 2 years (PG play)

Comment

I wonder what Pops thinks about the big DII signing! Congrats! You're proving everyone wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                        I wonder what Pops thinks about the big DII signing! Congrats! You're proving everyone wrong!
                        I’m guessing some DI team in the upper Midwest would’ve offered if the family BS had not been an issue. Juwan has the athleticism to play at this level. In DII, he’ll blow past some people on his way to the rim.

Good luck to him. Hope it works out for the best.

Comment

Sorry to revive this but does anyone know what happened to Juwan. I was just looking to see how he did at MSU and he had a decent year but now he's not listed on their roster and a freshman took his jersey number of 0. I can't find anything about him.

Comment

I assume he transferred to Duke.

Dad called up Coach K and told him what he was missing.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              I assume he transferred to Duke.

Dad called up Coach K and told him what he was missing.

But in all seriousness, do we know where/if he is playing anywhere this year? Double checked the roster and he isn't there. Must be a shock to pops if he isn't playing anywhere.

Comment

Sounds like he's not playing anywhere. I looked at his Twitter, a while back he made a comment about school starting, there is a deleted tweet in response and Juwans dad replied with "Juwan quit hoopin G...".
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X