WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
    @ Utah St for the MWC/MVC Challenge confirmed for 11/28.

This is the last year of the Mountain West contract. They either have to really shake up home/road or end it. Its WAY out of balance right now. The Mountain West's four best teams are all road teams (Nevada, Boise, San Diego State and New Mexico) and Fresno, who should be pretty decent, is the team sitting out.

EDIT--Official per UNI Twitter

Here's the lineup

11-27--Nevada at Loyola
    11-27--Boise St at Drake
    11-27--SIU at Colorado State
    11-28--Valpo at UNLV
    11-28--Indiana State at SJSU
    11-28--UNI at Utah State
    11-28--Missouri State at Air Force
    11-28--Wyoming at Evansville
    12-1--New Mexico at Bradley
    12-1--San Diego State at Illinois State

I'm pretty sure they matched up Loyola and Nevada and then just threw darts for the rest. Very few of these matchups make any sense. The most eggregious is the Boise-Drake game. I'd be LIVID if I were Boise, you've got what might be an at large caliber team and they saddled you with a 300+ RPI team.
    Last edited by BCPanther; 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM.
    #MACtion

Comment

Lets avoid this....

#MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

It always surprises me how some fans are such bad sports when they win. Alabama is like this at football games. They sing a song that mocks the opponent by name. You just won the game. Why do you have to belittle your opponent?

Comment

This is the last year of the Mountain West contract. They either have to really shake up home/road or end it.
          There's no way that they end it, not with the way the future is looking for mid-major conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

It always surprises me how some fans are such bad sports when they win. Alabama is like this at football games. They sing a song that mocks the opponent by name. You just won the game. Why do you have to belittle your opponent?
            I honestly think that's a pretty cool tradition for Utah State. Unlike Alabama, much more of an underdog program. Gotta have thick skin if you're playing D1 basketball

Comment

I hope so too. But that is an awesome site. Gets the fans involved, wish we had something like that in both venues.

Comment

Chants of “overrated” singing “hey hey goodbye” could also be considered mocking the opponent. I like Utah state’s chant. Wish UNI could have something to get fans involved at both venues. Like they say: don’t want to hear it, don’t get beat.

Comment

Their pre game chant is great too. Almost want to go to the game for the energy, although I wouldn’t hear the end of game chant.

I Believe That We Will Win chant done by the amazing USU Aggie student section in the Utah State University Spectrum at the white out game against San Diego ...

Comment

Why have a functioning score board that shows the score? Belittling the losing team like that. Showing replays of great plays? Belittling.

Hell, why keep score at all? Let every team make a basket every possession and then cheer for them.

also, they haven’t been real good since the left the WAC (when those videos were recorded) and Big West. In 5 years in the MWC they’ve not won more than 18 games in a seasons (notnhaooened aince their first two) and have been under .500 in conference play in 4 of the 5 with the only winning season being their second season in the conference.

Im going to doubt the environment is at that level anymore. They aren’t going 15-1 or 14-2 in conference play with 25+ wins every year like they were at that point.
                    Last edited by clenz; 05-03-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

That program cratered when Stew Morrill retired.

I think they hired the right guy this time, Craig Smith from South Dakota, but its a big time rebuild.

Should be an easy win but won't help resume wise, at least its on the road.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post

Chants of “overrated” singing “hey hey goodbye” could also be considered mocking the opponent. I like Utah state’s chant. Wish UNI could have something to get fans involved at both venues. Like they say: don’t want to hear it, don’t get beat.

Not a big fan of the over-rated and hey hey goodbye chants either. I like the idea of victory traditions. And I just prefer the ones that celebrate our victory, not their defeat.

However, I do like the fact that their fans are so involved. I would like to see us have more of that.

Comment

I don't like the "overrated' chant because it says the team you just beat doesn't deserve their rating and therefore diminishes your team's win.
                          "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

Lots of energy in that crowd, I'm envious.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                              Lots of energy in that crowd, I'm envious.
                              Not any different than our crowds from 08-10.

Remember the white out game for the Bracket Buster vs ODU? There were national CBB websites raving about us just as they did Utah State.

Winning brings that. Losing drives it away. We haven't done much winning the last 3 years. Yes I know we had an NCAA tournament in that mix but remember we were something like 11-11 at one that point in that season.

They still have a better atmosphere than we do, but it's not quite what everyone thinks of when they imagine Utah State circa that 400lb shirtless guy in the front row every game.

Comment

That program cratered when Stew Morrill retired.

I think they hired the right guy this time, Craig Smith from South Dakota, but its a big time rebuild.

Should be an easy win but won't help resume wise, at least its on the road.
                                Drake had Craig Smith signed and sealed, until he wasn’t. I’m assuming this situation is higher budget and more $ than Drake, so let’s see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X