WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UNIAlum2010 View Post
    Wasn't sure where else to post this and didn't want to start a new thread. Bart Torvik runs a free website similar to Kenpom. He just listed his top 35 true mid-major teams since 2008.

Creighton 2014 -4th
    UNI 2015 - 5th
    Drake 2008- 6th
    UNI 2010 - 10th
    Loyola 2018 - 20th

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/s...53002181742592
    Interesting list, seems pretty respectable.

However, having that St Marys team at #1 is ludicrous.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Where is WSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by NEI Panther View Post
        Where is WSU?
        Neither WSU nor Gonzaga is on the list, so he's obviously not considering them as a "true mid major."

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Neither WSU nor Gonzaga is on the list, so he's obviously not considering them as a "true mid major."
          Odd that Creighton is considered "true mid major" while WSU isn't.

Comment

• That Drake is too high.

Comment

• Loyola got screwed. How many times have teams from non-money conferences won over 30 and made the final four? 4 or 5? I'm happy with UNI's two top 10, but honestly we didn't accomplish as much with either team. Same with WSU, no idea why he didn't include their top years, they are not in the same class (or non-class) as Gonzaga. I'd guess he just forgot about WSU.
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                Loyola got screwed. How many times have teams from non-money conferences won over 30 and made the final four? 4 or 5? I'm happy with UNI's two top 10, but honestly we didn't accomplish as much with either team. Same with WSU, no idea why he didn't include their top years, they are not in the same class (or non-class) as Gonzaga. I'd guess he just forgot about WSU.
                Meh. Loyola got incredibly lucky that the bracket fell apart for them. Our 10 and 15 teams were both much better but ran into Michigan State and Louisville instead of Nevada and K-State minus their best player.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Meh. Loyola got incredibly lucky that the bracket fell apart for them. Our 10 and 15 teams were both much better but ran into Michigan State and Louisville instead of Nevada and K-State minus their best player.

And won. Nothing takes the place of actually winning the games when you have the opportunity. I will remember Loyola's NCAA tournament run as being possible only because we didn't take advantage of an opportunity against them in the MVC tournament.

Comment

• In the eyes of the NCAA we didnt lose to Louisville...

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

This was from the linked article which he used as a baseline to create the rankings.

"I’ve debated on how to label mid-majors for this countdown, like does the 2016-17 Gonzaga team count? That team was not a mid-major and I don’t think anyone looks at Gonzaga as a mid-major anymore. I decided to rule out any Gonzaga teams, the undefeated Wichita State teams, the new Big East when they were late in the MVC, and any A-10 teams among others. I just don’t look at that group as mid-majors, so who were the best small schools in the last 10 years? "

Odd group to choose to single out, but he doesn't consider Gonzaga or WSU to be Mid-Majors so they aren't included. Which is weird while including Creighton ..

Comment

• Has anyone heard anything regarding travel packages for the Paradise Jam? I would have thought that information would have come out by now, or at least soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by hediondo19 View Post
                          Has anyone heard anything regarding travel packages for the Paradise Jam? I would have thought that information would have come out by now, or at least soon.
                          I don't believe there is anything. Somebody asked Haldemans mom about it on Twitter a while back, her response...

No charter this year! Everyone on own. We are going the 14th- 20th . Not much info on tourney website yet.
                          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• I feel like Iowa State gets a free pass with the ending of the inter state games. They just released their schedule today... games include Alabama St, Omaha, North Dakota St, Southern, and Eastern Illinois. RPIs last year of 332, 287, 214, 311 and 262. Looks like they're taking a page from the Iowa school of scheduling this year.
                            Last edited by CyCarp; 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                              I feel like Iowa State gets a free pass with the ending of the inter state games. They just released their schedule today... games include Alabama St, Omaha, North Dakota St, Southern, and Eastern Illinois. RPIs last year of 332, 287, 214, 311 and 262. Looks like they're taking a page from the Iowa school of scheduling this year.
                              Of course they do. Jamie got out of Home and Homes AND the Big 4 and never took even a hint of criticism. Man missed his calling, should have been a politician.
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                                I feel like Iowa State gets a free pass with the ending of the inter state games. They just released their schedule today... games include Alabama St, Omaha, North Dakota St, Southern, and Eastern Illinois. RPIs last year of 332, 287, 214, 311 and 262. Looks like they're taking a page from the Iowa school of scheduling this year.
                                Who else should ISU have scheduled when their non-con already includes Mizzou, Ole Miss, Iowa, plus the Maui Invite, which they open with Arizona, then play either Gonzaga/Illinois, then either Duke/Xavier/Auburn/San Diego St.

That’s guaranteed 6 non-con games vs P5/6 opponents, plus the 18 game Big 12 grind, and you’ve got 24 games vs P5 teams.
                                Any coach or AD with that schedule would finish out the non-con with as many cup cakes as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X