WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
    Good deal as long as you can keep getting tournament floors. But seems odd that they can't be refinished and re-used. IIRC, when it was decided the original synthetic floor in the Dome was no longer acceptable, we bought the ancient floor that was occasionally used at the McElroy Auditorium and had it refurbished.
    That thing had nasty dead spots and was ugly as sin. Probably a huge advantage to know where the bad spots were, lol.
    #MACtion

Comment

Sounded like it’s been sanded and refinished to the point that it’s an option anymore

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
      Good deal as long as you can keep getting tournament floors. But seems odd that they can't be refinished and re-used. IIRC, when it was decided the original synthetic floor in the Dome was no longer acceptable, we bought the ancient floor that was occasionally used at the McElroy Auditorium and had it refurbished.

Comment

As long as we're not doing the light brown/dark brown thing inside the arcs again. Not a fan of that at all. If we're going to have a colored area inside the arcs, let's go with purple.
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
          As long as we're not doing the light brown/dark brown thing inside the arcs again. Not a fan of that at all. If we're going to have a colored area inside the arcs, let's go with purple.
          Two about a monstrosity of a look.

Comment

Obviously not that ugly, washed out looking purple that looks like it was colored on it with a magic marker. How about something darker and solid? Nice job, by the way, Northwestern - they managed to make purple look crappy.

I'd rather go plain wood on the whole thing than that dorky looking dark brown/light brown thing again.
            Victory for U-N-I!

- George Halas

Comment

doing a google search on "lifespan of a basketball floor", most results seem to indicate that the lifespan for a hardwood basketball floor is something along the lines of 40-50 years. (yes, there is maintenance involved, but in any case, it is certainly longer than 6-8 years for the lifespan of the floor).

Am I missing something?

Comment

Oakland University also has a hideous court. I was unable to upload the jpeg I had of it, so you'll have to Google for yourself.

Comment

Another horrific one thanks to Northern Illinois

#MACtion

Comment

I guess I've never assembled a hardwood court but I'm dumbfounded as to why they would only last 6-8 years.
                    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

I actually don't mind Northwestern's court with the purple. NIU's court is hideous though

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                        I guess I've never assembled a hardwood court but I'm dumbfounded as to why they would only last 6-8 years.
                        You're answer is in the question. It's incredibly hard on the joints and subfloor every time you take it up and put it back down. If you just left it down it would last 3 times as long but it never goes together the same way after the first time. Lots of hammering and pounding on it to get everything in place and close gaps.

#MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                          Obviously not that ugly, washed out looking purple that looks like it was colored on it with a magic marker. How about something darker and solid? Nice job, by the way, Northwestern - they managed to make purple look crappy.

I'd rather go plain wood on the whole thing than that dorky looking dark brown/light brown thing again.
                          Solid doesn’t make it better. Dozens of teams have tried painting that area. It has always been hideous.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

That thing had nasty dead spots and was ugly as sin. Probably a huge advantage to know where the bad spots were, lol.
                            Heh, A while before UNI bought it, my HS had to play at substate game on that floor at McElroy. The players said there were places where if you dribbled there the ball wouldn't come back up.

Also, I can remember UNI hosting Western Michigan at McElroy sometime in the 70's. Don't recall if the Dome wasn't quite ready or whether it was during one of the early roof deflation episodes. We were still DII, Berry was the coach. That place was one of the all-time barns - dark, and all the seats were behind posts.

Back to the new floors - I wonder if some of them are made like engineered wood flooring? IOW, wood veneer on top of plywood - that would account for the inability to sand & refinish.
                            Last edited by in_the_stands; 04-12-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

You're answer is in the question. It's incredibly hard on the joints and subfloor every time you take it up and put it back down. If you just left it down it would last 3 times as long but it never goes together the same way after the first time. Lots of hammering and pounding on it to get everything in place and close gaps.
                              so for most events why don't we put a floor over the hardwood?
                              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Solid doesn’t make it better. Dozens of teams have tried painting that area. It has always been hideous.

Like I said, let's just go with a regular color throughout, then. The dark brown looks weird. It has nothing to do with our school colors.
                                Victory for U-N-I!

- George Halas

Comment

Working...
                                X