WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Athletics Strategic Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Athletics Strategic Plan

Surprised no one has brought it up unless I missed it, but David Harris had an open forum for some department goals today. Nothing definite, but I really liked that he put some things out there for donors to think about.

For bball in particular, he threw out the idea of a 25 million dollar facility connected to McLeod with more courts, weight room, offices, student athlete resources, and event center. Also mentioned was an alumni suite in the McLeod as well as a center hung scoreboard, and the new court with a nice new design. Many more propositions for football and other sports.

He prefaced that the goals were very aggressive, but something they wanted to work hard towards. I love where his head is at.

I watched on the live stream and thought DH did a great job.

Everyone loves the facilities stuff...including me...but he covered all the bases.

Academics, competitiveness, community engagement, student athlete experience.

Had to laugh when the guy in red shirt asked the question about where the money would come from. Obviously you've got to go out and try to raise it. It's not coming from beer sales.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

To be as far along in the design process as they are for the basketball facility he must have quite a bit of cash lined up already. That is really going to change the feel of the entire complex and make the McLeod Center feel more impressive.

Same for the football team room/suite complex on the south concourse. I'm not sure I love how that looks but it gives them what they need and gives two or three more suite spaces for Game Days and that is probably $150k in revenue each year (10k per suite x 3 x 5 home games).

The other thing that stuck out to me is that UNI fans are even more fairweather than I thought. If we aren't going to be league champion level people don't buy tickets.
      #MACtion

Comment

"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

was the video saved where we can see it or any of the renderings? Sounds like interesting stuff.
          "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Last edited by clenz; 04-27-2018, 11:59 AM.
            "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
            -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Well, that is some of the best news that I've heard in a long time. Hope it is true. I wonder if Harris has found some new individuals with deep pockets or is building new corporate partnerships?

Comment

Probably.

The college in which I work has had two big fund drives in the past ten or so years and with each, there was a very successful silent phase (very targeted big money donors) and a public phase (alumni, new donors, etc.). Same for the larger, university-wide fund drives while I have been here.
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  The other thing that stuck out to me is that UNI fans are even more fairweather than I thought. If we aren't going to be league champion level people don't buy tickets.

Comment

True to an extent, although last year was a record breaking fundraising year for the PSC, and as of yesterday we are well ahead $$ wise than we were at this point last year. David wants to push the envelope and is bringing new ideas to the table, but as fans, we have to continue to step up - even in the "down" years.
                    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Working...
                    X