WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Cancun Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Cancun Challenge

We're in with... Wichita

https://www.cancunchallenge.net/2019-mens-field.html
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
    Nice. Pretty sure its a 4 team (2 game) tournament with those teams then 2 on campus games with teams not at that level. Good news all around. Just need to win one of the games in Cancun.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Nice. Pretty sure its a 4 team (2 game) tournament with those teams then 2 on campus games with teams not at that level. Good news all around. Just need to win one of the games in Cancun.
      I'm pretty sure it's an 8 team 3 game tournament in Cancun. That's what the link seems to indicate, although 4 of the teams haven't been named yet.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

I'm pretty sure it's an 8 team 3 game tournament in Cancun. That's what the link seems to indicate, although 4 of the teams haven't been named yet.
        It's possible as I am not sure. But I think its 2 separate 4 team brackets in Cancun. Where the other 4 teams are closer to what we would consider "buy" games. But I could be way off.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

Nope.

Two on campus against low majors and then the 4 'premier' teams get two games in Cancun.
          #MACtion

Comment

So are the two home games against 2 of the other 4 teams in Cancun? If not what are those 4 teams doing there? Kind of an oddball way to run a tourney. I remember we played in this not too many years ago, but can't remember much about it. Was this the one we layed an egg in? That would explain why I can't remember it.
            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

UNI won the Cancun Challenge in 2014, beating Virginia Tech and Northwestern. You might be thinking the Hawaii tourney (2015 maybe?) where I think we went 0-3.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

We beat Virginia Tech and Northwestern by by 20+ each in it. Won both home games (Morgan State and North Florida) by about 20 as well. That was the year we were ranked in the top 10
                "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

one Division is the side that the teams will play in Cancun is. The other is the on campus team games
                  "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                  -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Here's this year's schedule as an example. The Riveria division teams will host two games again Mayan Division teams. Then all 8 teams go to Mexico and play 2 separate 4-team tournaments.

https://www.cancunchallenge.net/schedule1.html

Comment

Wee bit of a step up from this years field---Bradley, Penn State, SMU, Wright State.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        Wee bit of a step up from this years field---Bradley, Penn State, SMU, Wright State.
                        Haha. Yea. Phil Knight kinda ruined it for them.

Comment

I've never been more stoked for a preseason tournament.

Comment

Working...
                          X