WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTL & Big Four Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BryceC View Post
    Well that's a lot different than saying it wasn't fair. He was just saying UNI and Drake were getting a good deal, which is true from a national perspective.
    I disagree. It's saying we should be grateful a team like Iowa State is even playing them on a neutral site. We are done playing either for the immediate future. Too bad.

Luckily Jake has done a very good job scheduling. Xavier is a better program than ISU or Iowa and we got a home and home (sure things lined up to help that but it still happened) and we are supposed to "love" getting ISU on a neutral site??

Comment

It is just another example of the deck being insanely stacked against mid-majors in every conceivable way. We can spin it all we want, but the fact is we need games like this to have any shot at an at-large. And the system is stacked in such a way that making games like this happen is extraordinarily difficult. At the end of the year, teams like Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky (and Loyola had they not won Arch Madness.....and two of their three games were close) are told they don't get a spot in the big dance because of their schedules. Meanwhile, no one of substance is willing to play them. And why would they? There is no benefit for them to do so. Certainly not in a fair way in which the mid-major gets a chance to play at home or on a neutral court. And it is even tough for a quality mid-major to get good opponents on the road. So instead of a quality mid-major team, we end up with the 11th best ACC team.

What really needs to happen is some sort of system that rewards teams for playing games against good mid majors, especially on the road or in neutral venues. It would be good for the game.

What really bites my buffer is the "schedule flexibility" excuse. What a load. That was the best lie you could come up with? You played Chicago State, Alabama State, Grambling State, Southern, Southern Utah and Northern Illinois last year. I think there may be some place in the schedule you can fit it in.

Comment

Originally posted by BryceC View Post
        Well that's a lot different than saying it wasn't fair. He was just saying UNI and Drake were getting a good deal, which is true from a national perspective.
        You mean from a cyclone tinted perspective.
        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Keep the Big Four.
          Replace Iowa.

Find a local school with ties to all 3. Ties to the region. A “big conference” school that could bring TV rights. Someone that would draw interest.

Gee, who fits that?

My new campaign is...

UNI
          Drake
          Iowa State
          Creighton
          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Fran is such a wuss. I hope he is at Iowa forever because he is a zero as a coach and a recruiter. If he ever does get fired I hope he gets a MVC job and UNI brings in the 80’s band Chic to play “Freak Out” every single time out.

Comment

Raking in 40 million a year from BTN just isn’t enough. They have to find ways get get more.

Comment

All the mid majors should get together and form an alliance. Get some good games for all the little guys or all refuse to play any.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                  All the mid majors should get together and form an alliance. Get some good games for all the little guys or all refuse to play any.
                  That was the idea of the bracket busters. Which TV ruined
                  GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

We can blame P5s all we want, but at the end of the day the real blame should go to the selection committee. They allow P5s to schedule all the cupcakes they want outside their conference. They put teams under .500 in their conference in the tourney. I don't understand why they can't come up with some kind of a system (like RPI, BPI, etc.) that puts the best teams in. The committee always has excuses, and bad ones against mid-majors that don't apply to P5s.
                    Last edited by CyCarp; 06-14-2018, 05:11 PM.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                      We can blame P5s all we want, but at the end of the day the real blame should go to the selection committee. They allow P5s to schedule all the cupcakes they want outside their conference. They put teams under .500 in their conference in the tourney. I don't understand why they can't come up with some kind of a system (like RPI, BPI, etc.) that puts the best teams in. The committee always has excuses, and bad ones against mid-majors that don't apply to P5s.
                      Yep. One positive of today is that it doesn’t matter. Basically impossible for a mid major to get an at large any more.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIPanther99 View Post

Time for Jake to ask Mac to put his "friend hat" on and schedule a home and home.
                        If any coach in the country owes us this, it’s Greg McDermott. Full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                          We can blame P5s all we want, but at the end of the day the real blame should go to the selection committee.
                          I vote we blame both. And Fran, Barta, and the Hawkeyes proper.

Comment

Any chance these were announced like this because UNI was told of this a day or so ago to prep statements and in relation UNI pulled out of the PTL?

just a week ago the PTL was a go and everything was good. This seems connected.
                            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                              Fran is such a wuss. I hope he is at Iowa forever because he is a zero as a coach and a recruiter. If he ever does get fired I hope he gets a MVC job and UNI brings in the 80’s band Chic to play “Freak Out” every single time out.
                              Wow. I have to give credit when it is due; this is a great post from you that actually made me lol.

Comment

So, as a known and proud dual ISU/UNI fan, I'm disappointed to see this go away, and of course it's the fault of the Hoks and the overbloated, overinflated Big 10.

I really do hope that with their close ties that Harris and Pollard can work something out. I would be just fine with a 2 for 1, even if the one is played in Cedar Rapids.

Comment

Working...
                                X