WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTL & Big Four Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post
    Any chance these were announced like this because UNI was told of this a day or so ago to prep statements and in relation UNI pulled out of the PTL?

just a week ago the PTL was a go and everything was good. This seems connected.
    I doubt it, because Jacobson and Harris are pros, and they wouldn't do a move like that out of spite. On the other hand, I'm really hoping Jacobson and Harris pulled out of the PTL out of spite.

Comment

Any chance these were announced like this because UNI was told of this a day or so ago to prep statements and in relation UNI pulled out of the PTL?

just a week ago the PTL was a go and everything was good. This seems connected.
      I was actually talking to a friend on that theory. I know we’ve pulled out of the PTL in 2012 for one season. Wasn’t that the same season Iowa discontinued the Home-home. There may be something to it.
      Last edited by FOTY; 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post

I was actually talking to a friend on that theory. I know we’ve pulled out of the PTL in 2012 for one season. Wasn’t that the same season Iowa discontinued the Home-home. There may be something to it.
        It was that summer after.

I have no reason to believe it other than gut reaction. It’s well known that Jake and Fran aren’t exactly chummy. Never have been even going back to the Siena days of Fran.

There were articles last week about this years PTL. It was going to run from what I understand. The timing of these two things - being announced just 5 minutes apart - seems like way more than a coincidence.

The length, and PC spin nature, of the statements that were put out by coaches, ADs and Randy Larson also tells me there have been a couple days for them to be crafted.

I also dont think it’s coincidence the longest, and really only “official release” regarding the Big 4 being ended only came from UNI. Drake and Iowa State were ADs responding to media questions after. Iowa and UNI had prepared statements released instantly.

Two plus two is four, minus one that's three quick mafs....if you catch my drift.
        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

I didn't think about the PTL and Big 4 being connected, but it would make sense that Jake backed out. On OPR today, Rima said that Iowa submitted their 12 guys to play in it last week, so they were obviously ready to play. It seems to have fallen apart in just the past few days.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post

Just checking the timeline in my head...
            12/6/2011. UNI beats Iowa by 20 at home. Fran is ejected, again.
            4/12/2012. Big Four Classic announced/created. http://whotv.com/2012/04/12/double-h...sic-announced/
            5/9/2012. UNI announces not participating in PTL that summer (returned the next summer). https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...9bb2963f4.html
            12/13/2012. First Big Four Classic happens.

Make any assumptions you choose to make about the end of the PTL.

Comment

A dream scenario is somehow get something with Wisconsin. It's no secret that UNI and Wisconsin have a very good relationship. They've had scrimmages for at least 3, maybe 4 years now. I may be wrong here, but I think Wisconsin usually plays at least 1 smaller Wisconsin school (Milwaukee?) each season. Probably no chance of happening, but we can always wish.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post
                So, as a known and proud dual ISU/UNI fan, I'm disappointed to see this go away, and of course it's the fault of the Hoks and the overbloated, overinflated Big 10.

I really do hope that with their close ties that Harris and Pollard can work something out. I would be just fine with a 2 for 1, even if the one is played in Cedar Rapids.
                If this happens, Iowa State is back in the running for the mythical state title. Until that point, the winner of the UNI-Drake games is state champ. Iowa and Iowa State declined to participate.

Comment

The scheduling issue between MidMajors and P5 is getting worse. The answer, as far as I can think of, is either:
                  1. Accept that your non-conf schedule is going to be primarily Away pay games so the boards of black-n-gold and blue-n-white fans can see home games, or
                  2. Strike. Get all the MidMajors ADs/HCs in one room and agree that NOBODY agrees to anything except Home-n-Homes and a VERY limited number of pay games. This only works if individual schools can be kept from crossing the picket line. But they will and so...never mind.

Comment

You mean from a cyclone tinted perspective.
                    Honest question, what other state does what Iowa did? I know Indiana does something similar. But, from a national perspective, it was a good deal for Drake and UNI. Not many mid majors get games vs their in-state P6 teams every year.

Comment

Two Things

1--Playing in Cedar Rapids is a no go. Holds less than the McLeod Center after renovation and doesn't allow for any main floor seating. Its a terrible building and I'd be embarrassed to play games there in its current configuration.

2--The Valley, A10, Mountain West, WCC, CAA, CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt need to get together and flat tell P6s that they aren't playing them anymore other than in MTEs or true H-H. We will not take buy games, we will not take 2 or 3 for 1s, we will not take H-R-N that basically gives you a 2 for 1. Let them fill their schedules with true low majors so that you end up with tons of situations like Nebraska last year.

Then you form two scheduling alliances (Valley, A10, MW, WCC) (CAA, CUSA, Sun Belt, MAC) and set it up so that eveybody gets 3 home and 3 road out of that pool during the non-conference. Then you take the Mark Adams model and play 14 league games and then your last 6 games are H-H with the other three schools in the same place in your pod. So the Valley Champ would play H-H with the A10, MW, WCC champs, 2nd place would play the 2nd places and so on.

I see it as the only way to job the RPI and other computer metrics.

So our Typical Schedule would be-
                      3 or 4 MTE games
                      1 or 2 low major home buy games
                      3 Scheduling Alliance Home
                      3 Scheduling Alliance Road
                      14 League Games (Scheduled based on past performance and expectations)
                      3 Home Pool
                      3 Away Pool

Valley Tournament
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post

Honest question, what other state does what Iowa did? I know Indiana does something similar. But, from a national perspective, it was a good deal for Drake and UNI. Not many mid majors get games vs their in-state P6 teams every year.
                        Wisconsin does regularly.

UVA plays VCU. Davidson all the time (Both on the road last year I think)

As we know UNC plays mid majors on the road often (not in state I know)

Quite a few teams still will do it. Unfortunately, Iowa would rather play Bryant at home.

Unless, required to by the conference or the cy hawk series. Iowa does not play any road games anymore. That's a fact. Really a shame that it is acceptable to do so in the current state of college basketball.

Comment

Keith Murphy showed statements from all four ADs on his show yesterday. Iowa's AD reiterated the lie about scheduling conflicts. Iowa State said they'd be open to playing UNI and Drake but it would have to be at Hilton. UNI and Drake's ADs basically stated that they were not happy in a professional way. They also had a short interview with the GM of the Iowa Events Center and implied they might look at other options which might include events with UNI and Drake against other schools.

Now would be the time for McD to put on his friend hat if there ever was one. He has a close relationship with both UNI and Drake coaches. Find a fourth school (if not Iowa State) and get something done. Would kind of suck for Iowa fans in Des Moines to be the only fans with no event in town. Could even rotate the event to Omaha every third year or something.

Most likely, since I don't see McD ever doing that, we will schedule another money game against a P5, and maybe have an event in Des Moines with Drake and other regional schools. USD and SDSU come to mind.

Comment

UNI-Creighton isn't going to happen. Jake has no desire to play Mac and vice versa.
                            #MACtion

Comment

There’s travel involved, but what are the odds of UNI players coming to the DSM based summer league?

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                                There’s travel involved, but what are the odds of UNI players coming to the DSM based summer league?
                                They can't. Those leagues are capped at two programs participating by the NCAA and with Drake and Iowa State there, UNI can't play.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X